List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Its up to Dom Sheed to do that in all reality. He should be better then Hatley so let him be better.

Outside of that id also say Zane Trew deserves one last go at it before we bring Hatley into that mix to be a stopgap
Sheed is a witches hat at centre bounces. Just kills us being effectively 1 man down.

Last edited:

Thoughts on Moraes and how he could compliment Reid, Ginbey, Hewett and Hall?
I've probably been Moraes biggest advocate on here, I really really like him as a player. Good zip through traffic, disposals and finds the ball nicely on the outside, plus is a goal kicker. So, yes he'd compliment our midfield perfectly and the other thing is he can play half forward, so has dual position status.

I was just a little underwhelmed with his performances for the Academy, he didn't stand out against the bigger bodies. So I'm not going to put him in the top bracket with Smith, FOS or Draper just yet. I think he'll have a great championships, and still end up around the around the top 10.
If we split our pick, he's probably the one I'd want first (at this stage).

As much as Yeo has boosted us this season, I would still likely rather he leave for another club and for us to be compensated with a likely top 10 pick. If we can draft two more guns in the draft it will set us up nicely for the next part of our rebuild.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We won't be getting a top 10 pick as free agency compo for Yeo unfortunately. Better off keeping him provided this is a minor hiccup.

I've probably been Moraes biggest advocate on here, I really really like him as a player. Good zip through traffic, disposals and finds the ball nicely on the outside, plus is a goal kicker. So, yes he'd compliment our midfield perfectly and the other thing is he can play half forward, so has dual position status.

I was just a little underwhelmed with his performances for the Academy, he didn't stand out against the bigger bodies. So I'm not going to put him in the top bracket with Smith, FOS or Draper just yet. I think he'll have a great championships, and still end up around the around the top 10.
If we split our pick, he's probably the one I'd want first (at this stage).

The academy game was a bit of a downer. Didn’t touch it on a wing in first quarter, went on ball and started getting amongst it then got injured. Definitely one I’d like to keep tabs on through the year. He’s a skinny boy. Think he’s 17 until November so one of the younger guys.

It looks to me as though we will have pick 3 or 4 this year. Moraes likely to be there and potentially Draper too. I wonder if we can do a swap with Adelaide so they get Draper and we get Moraes with an extra pick going our way. In saving that would be more than happy with Draper as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Yeo has boosted us this season, I would still likely rather he leave for another club and for us to be compensated with a likely top 10 pick. If we can draft two more guns in the draft it will set us up nicely for the next part of our rebuild.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, let’s turn into north Melbourne. All those picks and automatic guns.

A top 10 pick is no guarantee of a gun. Do people not go back and look at the previous drafts and how player careers ended up?

Keep yeoy for sentimental reasons. And judging by backchat podcast, he and hewett drive each other mad regarding one-up-ship.

Bodes well.

Yeah, let’s turn into north Melbourne. All those picks and automatic guns.

A top 10 pick is no guarantee of a gun. Do people not go back and look at the previous drafts and how player careers ended up?

Keep yeoy for sentimental reasons. And judging by backchat podcast, he and hewett drive each other mad regarding one-up-ship.

Bodes well.
Yeo has also been instrumental in helping Harley and making him comfortable. Loved the moment where Harley pushed a Bombers player over and another Bomber came to push Harley back (totally fair enough as well, Harley was being the dick :tearsofjoy: ). Just as he's about to push him, Yeo suddenly appears between them and cops the brunt of the push. Loved that sort of sticking up for a young player.

Pure domination in this game from Josh Smillie - a performance worthy of a number one pick. He was unstoppable at stoppage racking up 12 clearances for the game, he applied strong defensive pressure when he didnt find it himself, he set up his teammates by hand and foot, and he even got forward to kick three majors of his own.

After this showing he's now clearly out front in the race to be pick one at the end of the year. Can anybody catch him?

I'd love to know if we had Pick 1, would Smillie be our man or FOS?

CBA; Reid, Ginbey, Hewett and Smillie (decent mix of attributes)
Add in the later years of Yeo/Kelly and mix of role players being Hall, Burgiel and Culley.

Looks like we are being linked to Jack Graham who is a free agent and seems to be the right age. What's everyone's thoughts on potentially getting Graham and Baker if first rounder wasn't involved and would that mean trading sheed?

Both are too old imo. Don’t want us spending what little draft currency we have unless it’s on an U25.
I don’t think graham is good enough to warrant using salary cap.
English, cumming and perryman are as long as the contract price isn’t silly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both are too old imo. Don’t want us spending what little draft currency we have unless it’s on an U25.
I don’t think graham is good enough to warrant using salary cap.
English, cumming and perryman are as long as the contract price isn’t silly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disagree with this completely.

We’re struggling to find a suitable mid to replace Yeo in the side. Our midfield depth is worst in comp.

Graham is no world beater but he’d come in and play a role while our young mids are still developing. Happy to give him 3 or 4 years as an FA on lowish coin so no draft capital required.

English at this stage is a trap.

He has the same problem Bailey Williams is having. Even in his best games his direct opponent is having BoG performances.

It would be a massive mistake to go after English.

If we were to bring in Graham as a FA on relatively modest money for 3 years like we did with Hunt then there’s a degree of logic to it

Whilst he has a different skillset to Hunt, he can provide mature depth to an area of our list that is thin (inside grunt) just like Hunt did with his outside speed

With a 1998 birthdate it gives some added maturity that we don’t have much of - Waterman, Rotham, Witherden and Jones are all ‘98ers but of that quartet only Waterman is certain to still be at the club next year. We also only 2 players born in each of ‘97 (Cole and Flynn) and ‘99 (Allen and Petruccelle)

It’s not a no brainer to chase Graham but it is worthy of consideration

Haha, he's not Reid and not even close. Some where between Reid and Hall, I think our contested young mids is fine for now and he wouldn't be top of my list for that reason;

• Reid
  • Hall
  • Ginbey
  • Hewett (he's a balanced mid but has great aggression and a very solid contested game)
  • Culley (if needed)

I'd be looking to add some variety to that midfield and probably more of a balanced midfielder if I was to add to the current list. That's why I currently lean to FOS, Smith or Draper.

I also think Smillie's best football could be off half back, quarterback distributer style ala Luke Hodge.
I’m personally in the WCE_phil camp on Jagga. Don’t see his role at AFL level particularly early in his career, his game that he plays at 18s level (very well admittedly) would be like putting a light weight in the super heavy weight division.

I don’t see him being able to compete against all the big boys that play in the middle and he lacks a yard of pace that the likes of other smaller types like Butters and Merritt possess.

He’s turned 18 in Jan and hasn’t added a lot to his game that he was already doing last year. I feel it would be a risk to use a top 5 pick on him. Personally at this early stage I think he sits in the 7-15 range in the draft. Plenty of peeps will disagree with that.

FOS is also a concern his start to the year has been poor. Need to see Draper play too, would want to see some improvement in both of there games from last year to be throwing a top 5 pick at them.

I know it’s early and I’m hopeful that FOS and Draper have really strong carnivals to stake there claims.

My top 10 where I think they will go as it stands are

Smillie
O’Sullivan
Ashcroft
Trainor
Shanahan
Lombard
Smith
Draper
Moraes
O’Farrell

O’Sullivan and Trainor will be our targets with a top 5 pick IMO, Smith and Draper in the 6-10 range.

North will take Smillie at 1 but will want Trainor as well. GCS may want a pick before Lombard and the Crows will probably want Draper. If we can slide back to two picks in the back half of the top 10 I think it’s well worth considering. FOS hasn’t shown enough this year (TBF he’s been injured) to make a top pick untradeable.

My top 10 where I think they will go as it stands are

Smillie
O’Sullivan
Ashcroft
Trainor
Shanahan
Lombard
Smith
Draper
Moraes
O’Farrell

O’Sullivan and Trainor will be our targets with a top 5 pick IMO, Smith and Draper in the 6-10 range.

North will take Smillie at 1 but will want Trainor as well. GCS may want a pick before Lombard and the Crows will probably want Draper. If we can slide back to two picks in the back half of the top 10 I think it’s well worth considering. FOS hasn’t shown enough this year (TBF he’s been injured) to make a top pick untradeable.
You won’t slide back to two late top 10 picks even if you have pick one this year.

It will be similar to the 2022 draft. Pick 2 ended up being pick 9 and pick 14 on draft night.

Back