List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Collard another 3 goals on the weekend. Would hope we are in his ear for 2025.

In the same game, Hansen Jnr kicked 3. Limited touches and not sure what his pressure is like (would need to be high)

Out of contract at the end of the year. Worth a rookie spot if he doesn’t get an offer from North? Need some speed and pressure up forward.

Struggling to understand what Jack Graham can offer this team besides being in the right age profile.

Midfield depth, and a big body to help shield the younger guys, something many are worried about this week.

There is talk of big offers for Reid already and I reckon the Eagles should be serious about considering them. Arguably his value has significantly increased since draft night already. And with the drop off being so huge between him and the majority of the youth at the club (not) coming through it’s almost a no brainer to consider getting a treasure chest of high end draft picks while we can before Tassie dilutes the market, and get serious about this rebuild. It has to happen now. We could still be in for a decade of bottom feeding finishes relying on decaying seniors and dire depth of quality youth.

He’s made it pretty clear he wants to be in Victoria long term.

The nuffs who are naive/ignorant about the state of our list will disagree but this the reality - the list is stuffed and these are the type of huge decisions we need to make.

Probably the most stupid thing I’ve ever read, how any of you have watched Harley play and come to the conclusion “yeah let’s get rid of him for a couple first round picks” is hilarious.

Have some shame

Midfield depth, and a big body to help shield the younger guys, something many are worried about this week.

183cm and 83kg

Is he really a big body though?

l’ve heard a lot of bad takes on here over the years, but trading out our most promising youngster since Judd has to top the lot.

Reid is dynamic, a game changer, puts bums on seats, sells memberships and merchandise.. most importantly he is inspiring our next generation of kids.

He is our single greatest resource at the club right now. Madness trading him.

Is anyone actually suggesting to trade him apart from oppo supporters?

Not sure why people panic. If he stays, great, if he wants to leave, we will get a fortune of picks for him and millions in cap space for our own hunt in the future.

There is no lose lose scenario for us. No1 is to keep him of course but it’s a free country and it’s just football. There is a silver lining to everything so people need to relax and get some perspective.

There is talk of big offers for Reid already and I reckon the Eagles should be serious about considering them. Arguably his value has significantly increased since draft night already. And with the drop off being so huge between him and the majority of the youth at the club (not) coming through it’s almost a no brainer to consider getting a treasure chest of high end draft picks while we can before Tassie dilutes the market, and get serious about this rebuild. It has to happen now. We could still be in for a decade of bottom feeding finishes relying on decaying seniors and dire depth of quality youth.

He’s made it pretty clear he wants to be in Victoria long term.

The nuffs who are naive/ignorant about the state of our list will disagree but this the reality - the list is stuffed and these are the type of huge decisions we need to make.

Trade him for a couple more non developing youngsters?

Good call, why go with a known great talent, when you can trade him for the possibility of getting several promising looking duds.

The fun is in the suspense, will this first round pick turn out great, good, meh, or a total bust.

And then, best of all, if you end up with another fantastic top grade talent, trade him too.

The fun will never end.

Until our list fills with non tradeable spuds of course, but what a ride until then.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Struggling to understand what Jack Graham can offer this team besides being in the right age profile.
Guy can't even kick 50m anymore ,he is already getting soft tissue injuries and he has no off the mark speed .

We would be much better getting Riley garcia for less salary and has way more upside

For reference Graham played against us in round 5 in the midfield where all he did was slowly waltz after Reid exiting the stoppage and probably got fended off a couple of times .

We have sheed who is the same calibre and pace as Graham and no one wants him in the side

Last edited:
Its rare to see such a large discrepancy between and individual and team performance. In a game in which his Chargers team were belted by nearly 100 points, Jagga was unstoppable for most of the day, slicing through stoppages like a surgeon with a scalpel and setting up his team with opportunities they failed to capitalize on. The one criticism you could make is that he contributed to the lack of defensive pressure around the footy by Oakleigh, only laying one tackle for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m personally in the WCE_phil camp on Jagga. Don’t see his role at AFL level particularly early in his career, his game that he plays at 18s level (very well admittedly) would be like putting a light weight in the super heavy weight division.

I don’t see him being able to compete against all the big boys that play in the middle and he lacks a yard of pace that the likes of other smaller types like Butters and Merritt possess.

He’s turned 18 in Jan and hasn’t added a lot to his game that he was already doing last year. I feel it would be a risk to use a top 5 pick on him. Personally at this early stage I think he sits in the 7-15 range in the draft. Plenty of peeps will disagree with that.

FOS is also a concern his start to the year has been poor. Need to see Draper play too, would want to see some improvement in both of there games from last year to be throwing a top 5 pick at them.

I know it’s early and I’m hopeful that FOS and Draper have really strong carnivals to stake there claims.
I agree on FOS and Draper, as FOS has been really underwhelming so far although I know he's had the injuries. Draper just hasn't been on the park yet.

Each to their own, I think he's got a very high level of football in him. Development for him will come from putting on size on when he hits the AFL, like a Fyfe or Hough who came in very thin.

You can see that feedback in his game, about not being able to play midfield early as he's too raw so he's played large chunks at half forward and been quite good there. I really liked his performances for the academy, he competed really well against the bigger bodies and I thought he could play his natural game. So that relieved some of my fears that were similar to yours on him. I also think he could play wing early days.

Still top 5 for mine. But appreciate everyone has different opinions on this, and it would be pretty boring if we all agreed...

Look at the dilemma we have this week with Yeo out of the side. No one is ready to step up and shoulder the burden of his role in taking the heat for the the young kids and leading the way.

We need a player like Graham to bolster the midfield and take the heat of the young fellas.

He's not a superstar but would certainly be best 22 for us.

Look at the dilemma we have this week with Yeo out of the side. No one is ready to step up and shoulder the burden of his role in taking the heat for the the young kids and leading the way.

We need a player like Graham to bolster the midfield and take the heat of the young fellas.

He's not a superstar but would certainly be best 22 for us.

Which also highlights our mid-term issue - we need to find another inside/balanced high calibre mid (and probably another outside leaning high calibre mid) soonish.

Yeo and Kelly hopefully have a few years left, but what we can’t do is be happy with it being Harley or bust.

Now, whether we have 1 or more of those players on the list already (Hall, Chesser, Trew, Culley, Johnston) remains to be seen - but adding one this draft seems key (in a draft where the top 5-ish all seem to fit the bill in different ways).

KPD is the next major issue. Key forward and ruck we actually seem to have depth (albeit our ruck depth is middling at best with #1 out, but most teams have that issue).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which also highlights our mid-term issue - we need to find another inside/balanced high calibre mid (and probably another outside leaning high calibre mid) soonish.

Yeo and Kelly hopefully have a few years left, but what we can’t do is be happy with it being Harley or bust.

Now, whether we have 1 or more of those players on the list already (Hall, Chesser, Trew, Culley, Johnston) remains to be seen - but adding one this draft seems key (in a draft where the top 5-ish all seem to fit the bill in different ways).

KPD is the next major issue. Key forward and ruck we actually seem to have depth (albeit our ruck depth is middling at best with #1 out, but most teams have that issue).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. I'd be offering our first for Warner as i'm not convinced with this years draft crop.

Without giving our first away, this is where picking up Zuurhar for nothing would be a good get.

He'd add some real grunt as a mid/forward.

Perryman with versatility and class and Cumming the skilled smooth mover.

RFA/FA available this cycle with skill sets that would really benefit our side.

We really should make our like Bandits this time

Ed Allan and Angus Sheldrick both going quite well in the VFL , recommended as options to boost our list in thewest .
Cheap options if we have the spots available .
Just typical lazy analysis, looking at which West Aussies are doing OK. Sheldrick may be gettable but Ed Allen extended his contract to the end of 2026, has waxed lyrical about how the club has welcomed him, doubt he'd be leaving just because he didn't get an immediate game with the premiers.

Name a team with a shallower pool of under 23 year old talent than West Coast other than Richmond.

Maybe Collingwood, but they’re in a different stage of their cycle.

Scary thing is our rebuild hasn’t even begun yet. The priority should be filling the stocks with genuine talent. We’re holding out hope that the likes of Archer Reid, Williams, Hough, Maric, Long turn into 150+ game players. The signs are worrying with many of them - Brockman looks miles off it. And Chesser can’t get near it.

Name a team with a shallower pool of under 23 year old talent than West Coast other than Richmond.

Maybe Collingwood, but they’re in a different stage of their cycle.

Scary thing is our rebuild hasn’t even begun yet. The priority should be filling the stocks with genuine talent. We’re holding out hope that the likes of Archer Reid, Williams, Hough, Maric, Long turn into 150+ game players. The signs are worrying with many of them - Brockman looks miles off it. And Chesser can’t get near it.
Reid, Ginbey, Hough and Maric look like certainties, Long has looked good, Bazzo looked good before injuries and tragedy and injuries have prevented us from getting a good look at Hewitt, which is one people have high hopes for. Then there's Chesser, Culley and Williams who we hope come on and players like A.Reid, Hall and Barnett who it's just too early to tell.

North can have all the midfield talent they like, they look well behind us because they have such an unbalanced squad, some of the Hawks' top picks seem to be struggling more than ours.

Certainly not as depressing as you are making out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back