List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Along with Busslinger; Any updates on the following WA Talent?

Tholstrup, Hardeman, Collard (2023) and Allan and maybe Adams (2022). And more importantly, Curtin? I think he made his debut last week or two - did keep his spot against Collingwood yesterday?

I am going to put Jones/Walters in the never going to happen pile...
WC were in to Adams but he has re-signed

Lord hold the wheel this is a shocking take.

Busslinger, a first round pick, out of contract, who plays in a position we need to replenish (key back), with 2 years development under his belt and you’re questioning whether he is a priority?

You’re having an absolute mare with this take.
I’m not saying he’s a bust but you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Two years and he hasn’t cracked a game in a shit defence? Mmmm?

I’m not saying he’s a bust but you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Two years and he hasn’t cracked a game in a s**t defence? Mmmm?

Not sure how closely you track WA boys so I’ll take this in good faith.

Busslinger had a shoulder reco just before the draft, it rubbed out most (maybe all??) of his first year.

He’s a skinny kid and needed to put on some weight. He still does.

Watching him in his draft year and now in VFL his talent is undeniable.

Getting a tall with two years of development under his belt is a HUGE short cut for us to replenish our KPD stocks and we should get him cheaper than we should just on virtue of not debuting yet, and is a clear priority.

In my eyes he should be #1 priority ahead of even Baker.

I’d love our F2 to get it done for Buss but I think it’s going to be knocked back. There’s some very good players available around the mark of our second pick if we can hang onto it.

Xavier Lindsay 183cm Gippsland
Noah Mraz 198cm Dandenong
Bo Allan 191cm Peel

Also keeping an eye on 190cm Dandenong pair Cooper Hynes and Harvey Langford.

Obviously this pick also depends on our trade and 1R(s) selections.

I think we are in for a turbulent trade period. Could be a stand off with both tigers and dogs.

Busslinger had a shoulder reco just before the draft, it rubbed out most (maybe all??) of his first year.

Getting a tall with two years of development under his belt is a HUGE short cut for us to replenish our KPD stocks and we should get him cheaper than we should just on virtue of not debuting yet, and is a clear priority.

I don’t track them. Their supporters sound like they want to keep him. They do use the word “slow” a bit.

Imagine Curtin Buss Bazzo as our 3 key posts for the next 10+ years eyes:
TB having a few years left means we wont have a spot in the 23 for all 3 of those guys if we had them all. Better to just get one of them and draft another who will be looking for games in 2-3 years time imo
None of them would take the big guys tho?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Priority needs to be another developed mid. Buss would be a better get in the long term but Baker would slot into the midfield perfectly now. Hopefully the club can find a way to get both

Curtin is highly unlikely to leave Adelaide this year, if he does leave it’ll be when he is out of contract in 2026.
We shouldn’t be aiming to get him in the door this year.

We should be in his ear telling him for the next two years his family is here, we want him and we see him being apart of the young leaders to bring this club to the next premiership. Hopefully Adelaide keeps playing in the SANFL and comes home uncontracted with R2 in 2026.

Busslinger should be the aim for this season, and if R2 doesn't do it we should be walking him to PSD just worried about norf because the talk is they're heavily into him too.

Priority needs to be another developed mid. Buss would be a better get in the long term but Baker would slot into the midfield perfectly now. Hopefully the club can find a way to get both
We can find developed mids a lot easier than a good KPD thatll last us 10+ years. Baker isnt what we need in our midfield, hes too small to protect the lads imo.
Should be looking for experienced guys on the outer who can come in to crash and bash with the bigger midfields so Reid/Ginbey/Hewett dont have to. Such players would only have to last a year or 2, and should be cheapish.
Freo used Will Brodie in 2022 to great effect while Serong developed and Fyfe was injured. We could do something similar

Hahahaha.

Apparently we don’t deserve one because we won a flag in 2018 and traded too much for Kelly.

Richmond won flags in 2017, 2019 and 2020 and traded out of two drafts for Taranto and Hopper.

I’m sure the footy media will take a similar view.
Caroline Wilson (father was Tigers president or similar) and John Ralph will be completely impartial about it!!!

Barnett is close to re-signing, while he hasn’t set the world on fire he is a ruck who take a while to develop.

The haste in which some posters are willing to put him up for trading in Curtin is silly imo.

Curtin looked good in his last SANfL game getting 31 disposals, but the same question an over Curtin in his draft year are still unresolved…

What is he?
Curtin’s best position - think that is the Grant Birchall hbf role. Having watched him at Claremont, I kept wanting to see KPF and KPD which he could do occasionally but not as effectively at the higher level. His greatest assets are (1) reading the ball when he is playing hbf and (2) distributing by foot into the centre and forward lines

Oh and he hits targets very well

Last edited:
There will need to be some creative trading to be able to get both Buss and Baker in the door whilst still keeping the natural round ones for this and next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 is the sweet spot.

Smillie will be taken at pick 1

Then Draper/FOS/Trainor is available at pick 3. I can see draper storming home with FOS injured

We can find developed mids a lot easier than a good KPD thatll last us 10+ years. Baker isnt what we need in our midfield, hes too small to protect the lads imo.
Should be looking for experienced guys on the outer who can come in to crash and bash with the bigger midfields so Reid/Ginbey/Hewett dont have to. Such players would only have to last a year or 2, and should be cheapish.
Freo used Will Brodie in 2022 to great effect while Serong developed and Fyfe was injured. We could do something similar
Baker as a mid is probably the most gettable tho and cheapest I feel. I'd love to have a crack at warner but that'd cost us the world. When it's reid/kelly/yeo we look shit hot but after that first interchange things go pear shaped real quick. Obviously missing Hewett but another good mid would be handy

Certainly need key backs, It's just whether or not we can use a pic like our 2nd or f2 on buss and go another year without picking up another winger etc as lacking pace there.

Graham could possibly play that brodie role?

Last edited:
Baker as a mid is probably the most gettable tho and cheapest I feel. I'd love to have a crack at warner but that'd cost us the world. When it's reid/kelly/yeo we look s**t hot but after that first interchange things go pear shaped real quick. Obviously missing Hewett but another good mid would be handy

Certainly need key backs, It's just whether or not we can use a pic like our 2nd or f2 on buss and go another year without picking up another winger etc as lacking pace there.

Yeah Baker is gettable, but so are a LOT of mids who arent as expensive. We dont need to get a guy who will last 5+ years and be part of the next premiership, just somebody who can play a consistent role as an inside mid until our young guys are comfortable with it. These type of blokes are not rare.
Not Graham hes cooked, theres no free agent I can think of. Itll be a guy sitting in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL for another club who cant get a game, is mid to late 20s, and wants to extend their career a couple of years. Luke Parker would be awesome, Brodie maybe, Jarryd Lyons from the Lions maybe, this sort of player. Maybe one of the young mids who cant get a game at the Crows are gettable

Baker as a mid is probably the most gettable tho and cheapest I feel. I'd love to have a crack at warner but that'd cost us the world. When it's reid/kelly/yeo we look s**t hot but after that first interchange things go pear shaped real quick. Obviously missing Hewett but another good mid would be handy

Whatever warner costs would be worth it

There is no way on earth Baker is a great priority than Busslinger.
I said developed mid, Baker being the easiest to obtain ideally a warner type. The only reason you want buss is because you have said get rid of barass to sydney which I don't agree with. I'd love buss but not worth the kitchen sink imo

I said developed mid, Baker being the easiest to obtain ideally a warner type. The only reason you want buss is because you have said get rid of barass to sydney which I don't agree with. I'd love buss but not worth the kitchen sink imo
Want Buss because he fills an urgent need and hes an elite talent who is out of contract at the end of the year, so may be gettable for cheap

I know exactly what you said and I disagree it’s a bigger need than a young KPD. Has absolutely nothing to do with Barrass what a ridiculous element to bring into it.

I would also make a play for Parker.
Imagine being a near one club player and being kept out of the team by a player they traded in

Parker won’t be playing at any level after flattening a player off the ball in the VFL on the weekend..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am sensing we could well finish outside the bottom 3 and might even jump up to 14th giving us pick 5. We need to be big time into Draper. I’d happily take him at 4 or 5 (assuming his development progresses) but give the Crows the message that they will need something very good if they want to swoop and take him. Crows likely to finish outside the 8 meaning a likely top 10. I’d be wanting their R1 plus F1 even if we had to give them out F3. Their F1 would likely be low teens

Saints and Tigers are in deeper holes than I expected.

Last edited:
Back