List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

How good does Ned Moyle look tonight
GC would be so stupid if they let him go, going to be a star
Loved his ruck work at around the ground throw ins
Looks ready to go and had some reasonably clean hands in his second efforts once the ball hit the deck.

206cm is the right size too. Genuine monster to take on the Gawn/English/Witts types.

Don’t venture in here much. Not reading back through the s**t fights.

Ben Ainsworth. RFA. Four year deal on the table at GC but future up in the air per the tweet of the day.

He’s a Vic so no reason why he’d choose us, but in the hypothetical world where all we have to do is give a four year deal with a bit of an overpay, any takers?

27 in January next year, immediately gets into our B22 on a flank. Think there’s a bit of Jayden Hunt about the type of deal, where it doesn’t blow anyone away but makes a genuinely appreciated improvement to the team in an age bracket we’re missing.

Could even do a pick 2 and an overpay for compo, in exchange for their two firsts (say 9/10). Two throws of the dice for us, they get an early pick presumably ahead of all the bids.
Ainsworth is so frustrating to watch. He's from around my neck of the woods so I have kept a bit of an eye on his career.

He has some moments of brilliance but that can cover up the skill errors. Far too often he opts for the quick long bomb, or the low probability snap at goal. Kicking and decision-making in goals just hasn't come on with experience. Either his tank or his ability to stick to a role isn't good enough to let him play too far away from goals.

He probably still has all the tools to be a star forward, or even a good midfielder. But I wouldn't want us to be spending extra cash on him and dunno if he makes us better right now.

Ainsworth is so frustrating to watch. He's from around my neck of the woods so I have kept a bit of an eye on his career.

He has some moments of brilliance but that can cover up the skill errors. Far too often he opts for the quick long bomb, or the low probability snap at goal. Kicking and decision-making in goals just hasn't come on with experience. Either his tank or his ability to stick to a role isn't good enough to let him play too far away from goals.

He probably still has all the tools to be a star forward, or even a good midfielder. But I wouldn't want us to be spending extra cash on him and dunno if he makes us better right now.
My thinking is he’s 26 (27 by Round 1 next year).

Petch is 25 and starting to show his best signs, but I’d still take Ainsworth in a heartbreak. Cripps won’t be around forever. We’ve got Brockman/Dewar and the occasional Luke Edwards minutes up in the forwardline.

The gulf in our late 20 year olds is stark. Extra cash isn’t the be all and end all while we’re growing, with the Gaff deal coming off, JD next year, all that.

It’s moot because he almost certainly would have a relative pick of suitors from his home state, but of the RFAs he’d certainly be one I’d be happy to slightly overspend on in the scheme of his market value, while we keep adding talent through the draft.

With the talk of the mid season draft spot being freed up with Long’s unfortunate injury I’m a bit perplexed about why Simpson (twice now; Monday on 7News and tonight on 6PR) and Gavin Bell (SEN on Tuesday) have been at such pains to talk down the talent pool or seemingly trying to allay fan misconceptions about what type of cohort the mid season draftees represent.

I know there are plenty of Facebook nuffy fans out there that are clueless about the difference between the mid season and national drafts but the tone from the club in the media over the past week has been borderline patronising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English will stay. Moyle or Bryan would be fine. Worst case scenario picking up the best state league ruckman available in the rookie draft would tide us over as cover until Batman or Livingstone get up to speed. As I said this is dependent on Flynn playing out the season after what was a very, very rare injury.
I think Moyle will have heaps of suitors though so we're not likely to get him

With the talk of the mid season draft spot being freed up with Long’s unfortunate injury I’m a bit perplexed about why Simpson (twice now; Monday on 7News and tonight on 6PR) and Gavin Bell (SEN on Tuesday) have been at such pains to talk down the talent pool or seemingly trying to allay fan misconceptions about what type of cohort the mid season draftees represent.

I know there are plenty of Facebook nuffy fans out there that are clueless about the difference between the mid season and national drafts but the tone from the club in the media over the past week has been borderline patronising.
There's no major standout this year, unlike the last 2 with Culley/Maric, so they're probably tempering people's expectations for when we pick Ruscoe.

Do you think us drafting Loch Rawlinson last year means we don’t go for Oskar Smartt?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No not all, maybe at the national draft but not the MSD. MSD there isn't a heap of talent so you just have to take best available no matter the position. Plus as we're likely to have pick 3 we won't have much choice, as it's starts to get into more speculative selections shortly after.

National draft has heaps more talent in it, so you normally have a choice at each pick and fill list needs.

From what I've seen of Smartt, he's a bloody good footballer and was dominant in both young gun games. Been playing VFL for bombers, including a 4 goal haul. Probably more of a offensive weapon at AFL level than Loch, I think Loch will be a defensive fwd at AFL. Plus Loch no guarantee to stay on the list.

Apparently Oskar had some behavioral issues previously, so that's more of a reason he won't get drafted.

Just now you are noticing the club are patronising towards fans? Been going on for 5 years now.

Its just a case of protecting your ass. If you tell people something will fail time and time again, you can say I told you so. If it succeeds, well then you look a genius still in some peoples minds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back