List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
If Baker wants to go I'd be sad but respect that decision and just hope we get something useful back for him.

You seem a reasonable fella (even though you didn't explicitly come in peace 😉)...

What sort of return would Tigers be expecting for Baker?

Seems like it will happen, although most WCE fans will be reluctant to part with meaningful draft picks.

Is there any interest in Liam Baker here?

Personally happy to keep him at RFC - great clubman and leader, but if he wants to go then he wants to go.

Obviously nobody would consider trading out Reid but if he refuses to stay like JHF (and doesn't appear to be that sort of bloke) then if I was RFC I would be tanking vs North to get P1 and offering P1 + Baker + F1 for Reid.

Reid is the only 'next Dusty' I have ever seen that actually looks like he might end up that damned sensational or better.
We are happy to trade Reid for Baker. How quick can we make this happen before you get cold feet and reneg on this deal?

If Baker wants to go I'd be sad but respect that decision and just hope we get something useful back for him.
Have you raised this with the great unwashed down the road?

We don't have much to offer (clearly pick 1/2/3/4 way off the table). They have 3 first round picks that they can either offer the lowest one or trade a 1st rounder for a couple of R2 picks and offer one of those.

If all he wants to do is move home then surely they are in the box seat?

Do we think there is any chance Geordie Payne makes it to our selection in the MSD? and would we want him?
The Tigers and North could easily go for talls. From the sounds of it Payne has been playing as a bit of a mid/small fwd, and is 18 until November, so right at the younger end of this draft year

We simply don't have the draft capital to trade for Baker.
Even pick 23 is too big a price unless we get something back.
Can't go into the draft with only 1 pick before the 4th round when we're in a rebuild.
I'd rather use our second rounder on Buslinger and our top 4 on a mid or split our top 4 for 2 x 1st rounders and draft.

More balanced list.

Do we think there is any chance Geordie Payne makes it to our selection in the MSD? and would we want him?
The Tigers and North could easily go for talls. From the sounds of it Payne has been playing as a bit of a mid/small fwd, and is 18 until November, so right at the younger end of this draft year
General consensus seems to have shifted to Payne being selected by North at #1 after a great last few games but agree with you that they SHOULD take the best tall available. History suggests they will select him being a mid/HFF. I would be surprised if Richmond didn’t take Howes or Scaife at #2 with Blight an outside chance.

Landing one of those GWS boys would be an absolute Hail Mary but it’s it’s even remotely possible I hope we’re having a real crack. I’ve never heard Cumming being linked to us but have heard Perryman multiple times.

General consensus seems to have shifted to Payne being selected by North at #1 after a great last few games but agree with you that they SHOULD take the best tall available. History suggests they will select him being a mid/HFF. I would be surprised if Richmond didn’t take Howes or Scaife at #2 with Blight an outside chance.
Yeah, I doubt he gets to us. If we are considering other older mid/fwds itd be a win if we could get Payne instead though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anyone on the board that actually wants us to trade our 2R or spilt our 1R for Baker?
If the afl was to give us access to NGA malaki champion after pick 20 I would be happy to trade our R2 pick .

It would get eaten up by bid anyway and we could try scavenge some later picks to match a bit

1st round sid draiper
Match bid Champion
Rookie Elevate culley
Late national draft take a longy/Johnston type pick .
R2 BAKER
F2 Busslinger

Really like kaleb Smith at Richmond too as the elite ball user off the HBF . Unfortunately as good a kick as he is his defensive abilities need some serious work

Yeah, I doubt he gets to us. If we are considering other older mid/fwds itd be a win if we could get Payne instead though
MSD. Absolutely would rather punt on an 18yo MID with a late birthday than a 22-26 yo mid that has been overlooked for 4-6 years. Yes I know Tim
Kelly but I don’t like the odds of it working out.

Is there anyone on the board that actually wants us to trade our 2R or spilt our 1R for Baker?
He would be a nice to have, but I dont see where he fits in 2 years time tbh.
If we get him it probably means we dont have a spot for someone like Witho, which is 100% fine, or we lose a spot for a young player.
If Witho can stay in somewhat similar form for the rest of the year Baker is not necessary imo.
Duggan can go into the midfield having some of the versatility that Baker would bring

If the afl was to give us access to NGA malaki champion after pick 20 I would be happy to trade our R2 pick .

It would get eaten up by bid anyway and we could try scavenge some later picks to match a bit

1st round sid draiper
Match bid Champion
Rookie Elevate culley
Late national draft take a longy/Johnston type pick .
R2 BAKER
F2 Busslinger

Really like kaleb Smith at Richmond too as the elite ball user off the HBF . Unfortunately as good a kick as he is his defensive abilities need some serious work
I want to be wrong but I am near certain that if we trade away our 2R, Buss will be walked to North Melbourne via the PSD with some shoddy Dogs kickback from North.

Haven’t followed K Smith closely this year but is getting mentioned a lot by many in here. What do you expect he would cost?

Haven’t followed K Smith closely this year but is getting mentioned a lot by many in here. What do you expect he would cost?
Dunno how hes been going, but youd think he would be next to nothing. Didnt get games despite the Tigers being down to their last few guys in the VFL

He would be a nice to have, but I dont see where he fits in 2 years time tbh.
If we get him it probably means we dont have a spot for someone like Witho, which is 100% fine, or we lose a spot for a young player.
If Witho can stay in somewhat similar form for the rest of the year Baker is not necessary imo.
Duggan can go into the midfield having some of the versatility that Baker would bring
Baker is hugely versatile and would be straight into any third of the ground in our best 22, but the concern for me is the draft capital investment for a career lasting another 5-6 years.

North be like "who needs a spine?"
The only thing I can think of is that Clarko, Brady, Will and friends genuinely think they can pinch a couple of elite KPPs via FA. Like getting Oscar and Sam Taylor next year sort of areas so they can pretty much ignore them draft after draft. No established player in their right mind that commands a market is going to go there.

If Norf take a mid in the mid season draft they deserve to lose every game from here to eternity.

Back