List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Hello, pardon the introduction.

Bar Adelaide, the trade relationship between most non Vic teams has been reasonable..WCE and my mob have been decent for each other. Here are some quick points about The Chad.

1. He is contracted until end 2025.
2. He will not be a RFA.
3. For him to be tempted, his camp may want
  • $1.6m pa for 10 years (plus incentives) from a club not in immediate Finals contention
  • $1.4m pa for 10 years, plus incentives from a club in regular contention
  • The Corey to be traded with him and on a decent wage $500k + …. So a family friendly deal.
  • Wise suitors would surely factor that in
  • The usual Vic prospects will look to pay up and maybe cough up jobs for family members via friendly corporates.
4. Sydney will be desperate to keep him. Doubt they go past $1.3m pa. If they lose him and Corey, the Club will ask your mob for Reid + a future 1st. If not Reid it would mean writing yourselves out of two years of drafts plus Ginbey.
5. After Dawson we are wary about being ripped off. We’d ask Freo for Pearce, Serong plus a 1 and F 1 and 2.
6. No acceptable deal with anyone and the Warners can gallop off to Norf. Good luck to them there.
7. The Warners seem pretty happy in Sydney, are popular internally, admired by fans and playing with a team that is going reasonably well.

Cheers for the post. I can certainly see things from your point of view, and you raise some pretty decent issues that probably warrant a good faith answer (rebuttal).

1. It’s not clear if Warner will even request a trade, let alone whether it would happen this year or next.

2. Players move clubs all the time, even when they’re not free agents. Like you said, both clubs are generally fair traders and have done many deals.

3. 1.6x10 would comfortably fit in our cap. We literally have no one signed past 2026 except Barrass and Ginbey

4. Sydney are right to be desperate to keep him. He’s a gun, but he’s not worth more than Harley. Harley hasn’t given any indication he would like to move and we’d reject it out of hand anyway.

5. Fair call on Dawson. You tried telling everyone he was worth more than what Crows offered and you were right. You got bent over in that one, I can understand why you have a bad taste in your mouth over it.

6. Swans aren’t arsonists that are going to set fire to their own organisation to make a point, and the only team who would take Warner in PsD would be a WA club whoever finished lower. No vic club will bring a guy in through PsD who has explicitly said he wants to go home to a certain state.

7. Agree. You should hope these things make him want to stay. The only thing I would add to this is a) state of your cap and needing to keep Logan and b) if Chad likes the off broadway vibe of Sydney. My sense is he might enjoy being noticed and in spotlight that comes along with playing for a big club in a footy state like West Coast in WA.

Look we have a draft hand of

1st round pick
Future first round pick
Second round pick
And future second round pick

I haven't seen you once complain about our hands

Tried a pedicure?

4. Sydney will be desperate to keep him. Doubt they go past $1.3m pa. If they lose him and Corey, the Club will ask your mob for Reid + a future 1st. If not Reid it would mean writing yourselves out of two years of drafts plus Ginbey.
In no way on God's green earth are West Coast going to dangle Reid at your club for any single player or draft pick that you possess.

We're going to build a future premiership tilt around him. It would be the single stupidest thing the club could ever do.

Bar Adelaide, the trade relationship between most non Vic teams has been reasonable..WCE and my mob have been decent for each other. Here are some quick points about The Chad.

2. He will not be a RFA.
  • $1.6m pa for 10 years (plus incentives) from a club not in immediate Finals contention
  • The Corey to be traded with him and on a decent wage $500k + …. So a family friendly deal.
  • The usual Vic prospects will look to pay up and maybe cough up jobs for family members via friendly corporates.
5. After Dawson we are wary about being ripped off. We’d ask Freo for Pearce, Serong plus a 1 and F 1 and 2.
6. No acceptable deal with anyone and the Warners can gallop off to Norf. Good luck to them there.
7. The Warners seem pretty happy in Sydney, are popular internally, admired by fans and playing with a team that is going reasonably well.
Hello GUH, I admire your gumption.

I agree with your first 3 points.
Your 4th point is a textbook definition of a delusion, there is not a single player in the AFL I would swap Reid for, let alone with a F1.
Your 5th point is totally irrelevant to a trade with us, we are not Sydney or Freo and have always and sometimes to our detriment traded in good faith.
Your 6th point may be right but I think it’s far more likely that the clubs work out a fair deal.
Your 7th point I have highlighted for you and as it stands is NOT correct.

In no way on God's green earth are West Coast going to dangle Reid at your club for any single player or draft pick that you possess.

We're going to build a future premiership tilt around him. It would be the single stupidest thing the club could ever do.
Deep down he knows our draft hand is enough. That's why he's so angry and depressed

2. He will not be a RFA.
JTCnC
just take Chad n Corey

Cheers for the post. I can certainly see things from your point of view, and you raise some pretty decent issues that probably warrant a good faith answer (rebuttal).

1. It’s not clear if Warner will even request a trade, let alone whether it would happen this year or next.

2. Players move clubs all the time, even when they’re not free agents. Like you said, both clubs are generally fair traders and have done many deals.

3. 1.6x10 would comfortably fit in our cap. We literally have no one signed past 2026 except Barrass and Ginbey

4. Sydney are right to be desperate to keep him. He’s a gun, but he’s not worth more than Harley. Harley hasn’t given any indication he would like to move and we’d reject it out of hand anyway.

5. Fair call on Dawson. You tried telling everyone he was worth more than what Crows offered and you were right. You got bent over in that one, I can understand why you have a bad taste in your mouth over it.

6. Swans aren’t arsonists that are going to set fire to their own organisation to make a point, and the only team who would take Warner in PsD would be a WA club whoever finished lower. No vic club will bring a guy in through PsD who has explicitly said he wants to go home to a certain state.

7. Agree. You should hope these things make him want to stay. The only thing I would add to this is a) state of your cap and needing to keep Logan and b) if Chad likes the off broadway vibe of Sydney. My sense is he might enjoy being noticed and in spotlight that comes along with playing for a big club in a footy state like West Coast in WA.

Thank you for the considered reply.

Firstly I’d be appalled if Chad ended up at Norf at end 25. (They are sure to finish last again next year). Talent and enjoyment of playing footy dies there. They would wave $2.0m + pa which they have.

You are right Chad has not signalled his intent and we are ages away. Meanwhile with this form his value keeps rising, while he and Corey seem as happy as Larry in Sydney and at the Club. (Corey copped a bad concussion a couple of weeks ago, so he would not be as happy as Chad)

We have been lucky with our WA recruits (bar Elijah Taylor). The Warners, Logan and Gus are ripping young people and have made really good contributions to the Club on and off the field. Of the four, Sheldrick may prove the best, if the poor bloke gets a break with injury.

Surely given our history, we can just chuck in a ruckman?

They can have both Williams and CJ and we'll take back Dean Cox. Chad Warner as steak knives in the deal.

Warner right now is playing probably aswell as he is ever capable of playing. And he will not be a FA this year or next. If you want to get him off Sydney you are going to have pay them something close to what he is worth on the free market, we won't be getting him for Unders, and that means probably something on a par with the Tim Kelly trade, (i.e. effectively trading out of two consecutive drafts). We will be buying him at the highest possible market price in his career. I would like to have Warner but if we pay that kind of price for him then there is a good chance we will be on the losing side of that trade in the long run.

You can't build a premiership list buying off the shelf finished products and paying the enormous premium that comes with that, especially when they are not FA's. Because trade capital is finite. We need to look for high quality but unfinished products (and therefore significantly cheaper products) like Yeo and Cripps were when we got them.
Do you reckon Port are regretting buying JHF while the price was high? While we'd all like to be the team that pays peanuts for an absolute jet, that's rare, and usually you pay market price. Given the youth of our team and the age of Warner, wiping ourselves out of two drafts where we hope not to be at the pointy end isn't a bad deal at all.

Thank you for the considered reply.

Firstly I’d be appalled if Chad ended up at Norf at end 25. (They are sure to finish last again next year). Talent and enjoyment of playing footy dies there. They would wave $2.0m + pa which they have.

You are right Chad has not signalled his intent and we are ages away. Meanwhile with this form his value keeps rising, while he and Corey seem as happy as Larry in Sydney and at the Club. (Corey copped a bad concussion a couple of weeks ago, so he would not be as happy as Chad)

We have been lucky with our WA recruits (bar Elijah Taylor). The Warners, Logan and Gus are ripping young people and have made really good contributions to the Club on and off the field. Of the four, Sheldrick may prove the best, if the poor bloke gets a break with injury.

I heard something on gettable last week that Chad was close to coming back to WA previously, Twomey said Freo has almost convinced him, but couldn’t quite get him over the line to commit.

Do you reckon Port are regretting buying JHF while the price was high? While we'd all like to be the team that pays peanuts for an absolute jet, that's rare, and usually you pay market price. Given the youth of our team and the age of Warner, wiping ourselves out of two drafts where we hope not to be at the pointy end isn't a bad deal at all.

Hope not to be at the point end? What are you talking about. We’re 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also on Gettable Cal said we were interested in SA HBF Luke Beecken. Smaller and less upside than Hopkins but far closer to playing AFL at 23yo with a more mature body. Similarly, Hutchinson at HFF was mentioned for us but Will McLachlan was not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On these two points, asking for Reid or Ginbey (but particularly Reid) is fanciful. And it's not how things play out if a player is out of contract and determined to move (that's an 'if', none of us know if there's any truth to the rumours of Warner wanting back home). You will get a good deal but no doubt it will be unders what you would prefer given his obvious talent. But writing ourselves out of two first rounds is the likely deal.

Lol Sydney are really trying to scare us by threatening to take one of our players.

Please don't take our many elite players we have currently on our list.

We have vast amounts of non WA elite players. Look Sydney if you want some of our players go right ahead in fact we will throw you more player then you need.

2. He will not be a RFA.
Yeah none of that is happening. Id come to terms with it now as opposed to drawing out the grieving process

Lol Sydney are really trying to scare us by threatening to take one of our players.

Please don't take our many elite players we have currently on our list.

We have vast amounts of non WA elite players. Look Sydney if you want some of our players go right ahead in fact we will throw you more player then you need.
Look, I know of a 2018 premiership hero some fans may reluctantly be willing to part with.

Back