List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
We are simply not in a position to trade out of the next 2 drafts as we'd then have had no real presence in 4 of the preceeding 7 drafts. The Kelly trade wiped out our draft hand in 19'/20' and acquiring Warner would do the same for 24'/25'. For a team tasked with such a monumental rebuild and with so many holes to fill, that's not healthy. You only have one shot at an "all in" trade for a superstar and we missed. Learn and move on.

Warner is a great player, but he's enjoyed a recent purple patch and at peak value. We already have the superstar mid to build around. There are many good players undervalued at other clubs or yet to be uncovered through the draft to round out our list.

Dawson put on a masterclass yesterday and was acquired for a fraction of what we paid for a substandard Kelly. That's the blueprint (as is the Cripps and Yeo trade). Even if they work out half as well, we are ahead of the rebuild curve.

1R: best available mid (FOS)
2R/F2: Buss
3R: still wish we didn't trade it out for Hall
FA: Cumming or Perryman
Junk picks: A.Davies, Erasmus

Versatile role players like Baker who fill a gap in our age profile should only be picked up in Hunt-like deals for late picks.

Keep tabs on Warner as FA approaches and as our list develops organically. I think outside class or an elite intecepting KPD will prove greater areas of need.

All this changes if we can accrue more draft capital but we have surely missed the boat (our senior and fringe players have no value) and it's not how we operate.

Sydney didn’t see Dawson as a midfielder and played him as a defender .. So obviously was always going to be cheaper than Kelly ditto with how Brissy rated Yeo who we got for a bargain..

imo if Sydney win the flag this season Warner will ask to come home. On first glance Freo would be in the box seat with their three first rounders plus their future first but if we offer our first (pick 3 or 4) with a future first (pick 3 or 4 again you'd think) we can trump what they offer. Question is, would we offer that. And I suppose it all depends on which team he nominates.
Freo won't want to give up all 3 first rounders when their forwardline is still so dysfunctional, and even if they did I'm taking pick 3 and change instead if I'm sydney. Also we will have a lot more cash to offer Warner so if he nominates us there's not much freo can do.

If Swans win the GF, why wouldn't he request to go this year

For 2025 he'd be on 500k

He could be on a front loaded contract of 1.5m for 2025 if he comes to Eagles a year earlier

I'm sure his manager would be aware of that

Alot of water under the bridge but imo, watch this space
1.5m in 2025 wouldn't necessarily be frontloaded

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretend you're the Swans. You have a 23yo gun who has a year left to run on his contract: what is the minimum you're accepting for him if he requests a trade this year?

Let me reiterate; I do not want or expect us to pay this to get him across.

Neale was a 2xBnF winner who was in contract and went for 6+19 with 30 and Neale going to Freo.

3+25 is plenty, far better than freo’s 3 firsts, and could arguably be better than whatever Sydney might get next year if we start improving and Freo won’t have all their firsts.

He can get games haha, was just coming back from injury. Probably gets back in the side in the next few weeks to play as the 2nd tall.
If he doesnt though hell yeah lets get it done.
He's been injured for the better part of the last 3 years, so there's that. I'm talking about with McKay in and winning games he may be held out more than he should be.

Zach Reid is contracted until 2025 and can’t get or stay on the park

Played his first game this year in R2 and had done his hammy by halftime

Has had back and foot issues which would be problematic when coming to a team that travels every second week and supposedly has a rock hard training surface

Does have talent though and why not pocket another Reid

He's been injured for the better part of the last 3 years, so there's that. I'm talking about with McKay in and winning games he may be held out more than he should be.
They also have Hayes who was in the 2022 draft going ok as a KPD, along with McKay/Laverde/Ridley in the team right now who can play big.
Might be something there

Neale was a 2xBnF winner who was in contract and went for 6+19 with 30 and Neale going to Freo.

3+25 is plenty, far better than freo’s 3 firsts, and could arguably be better than whatever Sydney might get next year if we start improving and Freo won’t have all their firsts.

Season 6 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

Really torn on getting Baker to the club.

Genuinely good bloke with a great character which will help connect our senior players and younger players. Playing wise, is someone you would love to have on your side. Gets his hands dirty, can play in an area on the ground. What he lacks in skill, he makes up 10 fold in effort and consistency.

This description sounds a bit similar to Duggan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney didn’t see Dawson as a midfielder and played him as a defender .. So obviously was always going to be cheaper than Kelly ditto with how Brissy rated Yeo who we got for a bargain..
Dawson was playing wing by the end of his time at the Swans. He was still new to the system and developing. They saw him as a soon-to-be elite player and kicked up as fuss about the single late first rounder Adelaide were offering. Not accurate to say they simply saw him as a defender. Whether they saw him as an elite inside/out midfielder is a different question, but it's fair to say he has exceeded their high expectations.

Yeo was what, in his second year at Brisbane? We continued playing him at half back (with stints in the midfield) where he won an All Australian, until he filled out his body and became a permanent midfielder.

These are the types of trades we should be focusing on given we need to continue replenishing the list through the draft. Another kitchen sink trade for a "superstar" is a luxury we can't afford. Of course, do our due dilligence, ask the question, and keep tabs awaiting a more suitable moment.

My list is exclusively players OOC - that would minimise any draft capital. I am not attached to any of them. I only included guys that could be worthy asking about due their contract status.

I did make a mistake on Sheldrick who comes OOC next year in 2025.

As for the other guys you mentioned;
Davies - 2024
Angwin - 2024
Jones - 2026
Allan - 2026
Davies can't crack GC midfield, I believe you'd get him for significant unders. A), is behind Anderson, Rowell and Miller with Lombard in this draft coming. B) Salary off their books.

Last edited:
Hope not to be at the point end? What are you talking about. We’re 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Taking about the future picks.

The first season Warner, Reid, Ginbey, Hewett,, etc etc play together in 2026.

We wouldnt be finishing 16th,

We’re not offering 3 and our F1 which will be a top 5 pick for Warner. I’d say no one in the history of the sport has commanded that in a trade.

There woukd be a 2nd or a couple of 3rds coming back.

And as old mate said his brother would also likely be involved in any trade.

Last edited:
Warner right now is playing probably aswell as he is ever capable of playing. And he will not be a FA this year or next. If you want to get him off Sydney you are going to have pay them something close to what he is worth on the free market, we won't be getting him for Unders, and that means probably something on a par with the Tim Kelly trade, (i.e. effectively trading out of two consecutive drafts). We will be buying him at the highest possible market price in his career. I would like to have Warner but if we pay that kind of price for him then there is a good chance we will be on the losing side of that trade in the long run.

You can't build a premiership list buying off the shelf finished products and paying the enormous premium that comes with that, especially when they are not FA's. Because trade capital is finite. We need to look for high quality but unfinished products (and therefore significantly cheaper products) like Yeo and Cripps were when we got them.
Nah when we traded for Kelly we had picks in the teens and late 20s to 30s

That is why we paid so much and we paid overs (Colin Young what a ****ing idiot )

In 2025 we will have a top 10 pick probably top 5 then a future pick hopefully better but I can't see it being a teens pick .

It should be well and truly enough to the point we should get something back .

Cameron went to Geelong for 3 first rounders in the teens but GWS got 2x late 2nd rounder back with Cameron.

It's probably better for us if Sydney play hard ball and not trade Warner this year. We can pick up another gun mid plus Baker and Busslinger if they nominate us, while also addressing other list needs through the draft depending on how many picks we take.

We probably also put players like Gaff, Sheed on the table to free up more cash and take whatever we can in return to invest in youth.

I just feel like Sydney will ask overs this year and critics will come hard at us for selling the farm again and not having enough quality youth on the list. Atleast things will be different this time next year as we would have invested in youth for 3 consecutive drafts.

Back