List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
So how long will it take to build another 11 top 15 picks?

10 years?

That math don't add up. If true just fold the club.
Well generally speaking you add 1x every year.
So every team should have 5-6 upcoming or peak at any given point in theory.

I was really just highlighting how we shouldn't be using our horrible finishes to get (talent wise) to back to even with the rest of the comp by splitting.

Probably should include traded in and free agent players who were top picks on their draft year as well.

Though not drafted by “their” team, they can be star players for the team they won the premiership with.
I was purely looking at a base to work off. I have no problems with trading in established players when in the flag window.

On Duff’s interview with Gavin Bell he mentioned there’s “no progress” on Jai Culley’s contract and they are focussing on his rehab, but expects he’s likely to be at the Eagles next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
"Likely"

That doesn't sounds great to me.

Wouldn't worry too much about jai. He's made it clear he loves at the eagles.. this will be more about where the next contract settles $$ wise. A bit if chicken.

We honestly got lucky in 2018 with good form into finals. Most of the surrounding years we were top 4 or thereabouts but still not quite good enough to have a dominant dynasty.
Got lucky in 2018? What was the lucky bit? Was it:
a) Winning 10 straight
b) Flogging the bejesus out of the reigning premiers
c) Winning every game we played in Victoria
d) continuing to play good footy at the end of the season and stepping up when the heat came on in Finals
e) All of the above

McGovern as a rookie from nowhere likely wont happen again, but ill give the club credit there and the various trades in were good management (not Wellingham) but we had a really strong top end already in place.
Why wont it happen again? We have form in this area.
Dean Cox- 2000 RD, Matt Priddis 2006 RD McGovern 2011. I'd say we are probably due for another.

Wouldn't worry too much about jai. He's made it clear he loves at the eagles.. this will be more about where the next contract settles $$ wise. A bit if chicken.

For a club desperate for some good PR we've been awfully quiet on the "look which kids have committed to the club" news.

The only blokes we've heard have maybe signed on are the old blokes with long term injuries, and now the club are backs against the wall too scared to actually announce that.

Got lucky in 2018? What was the lucky bit? Was it:
a) Winning 10 straight
b) Flogging the bejesus out of the reigning premiers
c) Winning every game we played in Victoria
d) continuing to play good footy at the end of the season and stepping up when the heat came on in Finals
e) All of the above

Why wont it happen again? We have form in this area.
Dean Cox- 2000 RD, Matt Priddis 2006 RD McGovern 2011. I'd say we are probably due for another.
Lucky as in Richmond got eliminated by Mason Cox lol. More like we gave ourselves a chance every year but needed things to align.
At no stage were we the clear best team in the comp.

Ladder finishes under Simmo:

Those rookie selections were unbelievable and it's pure luck they fell to us and worked out.

Strange lack of re-signing announcements this year.
Usually we would have extended some players by halfway through the season.

Yup. They might have put a ban on all contract extensions until they get to the bottom of the S&C stuff or make the right off field appointments for footy dept management.

Or they don't want to draw any attention to the contract extensions they offered the older players who then got injured immediately, so now they're in a position they can't announce any new contracts for the kids because the supporters and media will circle it straight back to Gov and Crippa and ask what's going on there.

Not announcing Gov and Crippa also makes it look like they regret those list decisions and can't be great for the players, but putting it out there opens them up to the criticism they're already fearing. Backed into a series of corners at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a club desperate for some good PR we've been awfully quiet on the "look which kids have committed to the club" news.

The only blokes we've heard have maybe signed on are the old blokes with long term injuries, and now the club are backs against the wall too scared to actually announce that.
Absolutely hit the nail on the head mate.

Wait for the Gov 2 year extension news to drop from the club in the next month if he plays the Sydney game and the next couple.

Turning to early looks at the Draft.

Obviously Pick 1 is a tremendous opportunity for us to split picks and personally it would need to be in the low numbers. We may also have an opportunity to trade with Gold Coast because their academy kids are fantastic and they will want them. And of course keeping pick 1 will also be great.

Allies:From the little I've seen Jed Walters , Riley Sanders, McKercher, O'Sullivan are real options. Walters will go to GC. Sanders and McKercher are both Tasmanian boys and would be perfect fit for us BUT what happens when Tasmania come into the AFL???. O'Sullivan would fit perfectly into our backline.

WA: Curtin and Edwards both appeal. However I did think that Edwards was comfortably beaten by Reid ( also GC Academy). None are onballers which we need. Hall and Torrenvce had good games but a long way behind some SA and VC M and Vic C boys.

Vic M: Smiley impressed. Ashcroft too young and eventually Brisbane.Croft will go Father/Son. Brown Smith Taha would like to see more but very impressive just small from a visual point.. i may well find out that they are 188cm haha.
Philactides really excites me but at the moment looks suited to the HBF

SA: Patton was great but key p[osition. Draper a standout but too young.McCaulife, Gladigau.

So in a heartbeat if we split then I'd look at Ryley Sanders and O'Hallaran...with a comment that I havent seen enough from Vic C

With my lack of confidence in those in charge of the Clubs management at the moment, until he is signed I have every right to remained worried.

I have lost all faith in us turning what should be good sound decisions into unmitigated stuff ups..

Since 2018 after which we became intoxicated with drinking our own bath water to excess and blindsided by complacency and back slapping, we have become *ups R us .

Not that Jai is the solution to all our problems, but if we haven't/don't managed to re-sign him, that's the straw that surely breaks the back in terms of a complete overhaul of the front office.
You gotta question if the injury toll this year will dissuade players out of contract (who the club wants to keep) from re-signing out of a lack of confidence in the club to keep them on the park.

Look at these names

Waterman
Petrevski-Seton
Shuey
Cripps
McGovern
Petruccelle
Winder
Witherden
O’Neill
Hurn
Trew
Foley
J Williams
West
Dewar
Clark
Baker
Culley

They are all officially out of contract at the end of this year with the possible exception of McGovern and Cripps, who may have re-signed

The only name I’d be annoyed at losing is Culley - the others are either potential retirements or potential delistings. It’s unlikely any are going to have rival clubs chasing them.

Bell didn’t sound worried about Culley leaving and said he expects Jai will be at the club next year. The priority was his rehab as it should be

I just hope the confidence isn’t misplaced as Culley is one player other clubs might look at as gettable. Not sure why there’s a delay as the above list proves there’s not a lot of work to do right now chasing players to ink new deals as those decisions can wait until post season

Look at these names

Waterman
Petrevski-Seton
Shuey
Cripps
McGovern
Petruccelle
Winder
Witherden
O’Neill
Hurn
Trew
Foley
J Williams
West
Dewar
Clark
Baker
Culley

They are all officially out of contract at the end of this year with the possible exception of McGovern and Cripps, who may have re-signed

The only name I’d be annoyed at losing is Culley - the others are either potential retirements or potential delistings. It’s unlikely any are going to have rival clubs chasing them.

Bell didn’t sound worried about Culley leaving and said he expects Jai will be at the club next year. The priority was his rehab as it should be

I just hope the confidence isn’t misplaced as Culley is one player other clubs might look at as gettable. Not sure why there’s a delay as the above list proves there’s not a lot of work to do right now chasing players to ink new deals as those decisions can wait until post season
What do you think Culley would be worth in an open market (lets just say he didn't care where he went, just VIC)?

What do you think Culley would be worth in an open market (lets just say he didn't care where he went, just VIC)?

Hard to imagine we’d get anything better than a mid to late 2nd round pick and even that could be considered optimistic

Lucky as in Richmond got eliminated by Mason Cox lol. More like we gave ourselves a chance every year but needed things to align.
At no stage were we the clear best team in the comp.

Ladder finishes under Simmo:

Those rookie selections were unbelievable and it's pure luck they fell to us and worked out.
Nah I don't buy it. We pantsed Richmond that year and in fact we had them beat a few more times in the period until it rained. In dry conditions our game plan thwarted their dirty ball 🗑 but once it got wet and slippery was when their game beat ours. GF was dry as a bone and I'm confident we win it comfortably.

I'd rate our ability to identify potential rather than luck, wedid it 3 times, when does it stop becoming luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back