List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
The replay of the WA vs Vic Country’s now available for those who missed it. The coverage is a bit lacking because the camerawork is distant throughout and the commentator was evidently struggling to identify players. It may be that I’ve assessed players harshly because I couldn’t identify them at all times.

Curtin was excellent. Hard to see how we can get him and Reid.

Collard looked very good, probably should’ve had 4 goals from his 8 possessions. I don’t think there’s much chance he gets through to pick 40. Very high impact player with speed who would be a great addition to the list.

I don’t see it with Livingston. Seems a bit awkward and didn’t really display the vaunted physicality. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Sanchez impressed me. Looks to be a smart, clean player and knows where the goals are. Could he be another Noah Long type?

Hall got plenty of it but his disposal was down compared to his previous efforts.

Tholstrup was a bit disappointing, love his endeavour but not convinced of a position for him on what I’ve seen.

Edwards was disappointing. Didn’t appear to provide ruck ascendancy. I’d be very surprised if he’s a top 10 pick.

Duursma didn’t live up to the boom.

Harley Reid was excellent, obviously.

I see the Jamieson to the backline idea trotted out a bit.

I just don't see it.

I have no doubt he could be potentially effective on leading forwards but I have serious doubts he'll ever be able to match AFL level forwards in the 1-1s. Which would be pretty easily exploited.

He's about to turn 23, are we really expecting him to turn into a physical beast in the next 2-3 years?

If you look at where he was physically 18 months ago as to now the difference is monumental. I have no issue with this. He is faster and has better agility than most key position players and has long arms.

The only two parts holding it back is teaching him how to be a defender for one and secondly making sure he keeps his kicking in his ability zone.

If you look at where he was physically 18 months ago as to now the difference is monumental. I have no issue with this. He is faster and has better agility than most key position players and has long arms.

The only two parts holding it back is teaching him how to be a defender for one and secondly making sure he keeps his kicking in his ability zone.

One of our best full backs Darren Glass was very very good at keeping his kicks within his ability zone.

Having it and knowing how to use it are two different things. We'll see, but I'm not convinced.

Just my 2 cents worth on the TB

I can see why there is such division among posters on whether to keep or trade. Keep or not keep there is no right answer.

Do you fast track the rebuild by giving up talent in there prime for 1st round draft picks which gives you access to younger talent, and gives that talent more exposure which in turn helps there development?

Or do you hinder the rebuild by becoming less competitive by giving up talent in there prime and exposing the kids too early. It becomes hard watch for us supporters as Barrass makes us a better side in the short term?

First point

Now the rumour of Barrass going to the Swans is dubious as it comes from Mitch Cleary and Sam McLure and simply is rumour based so there is no point in getting your knickers in a knot. The way TB played on the weekend suggests he’s in for the fight at West Coast and is here for his contract.

Second point

If the trade was to happen it is very likely it will be forced upon the club by TB and his management. While the Eagles would be within there rights to hold TB to his contract I really doubt the club would want to hold onto a player that’s contracted till 2027 that does not want to be here anymore and wants no part of a rebuild.

3rd point

In terms of value if TB wanted out, the Eagles will decide that they will trade, both sides will like most trades start miles apart and meet somewhere in the middle. The idea of West Coast getting completely overs won’t happen, but likewise the Swans won’t walk off into the night like bandits and will be forced to pay pretty well for a contracted player.

Three first round picks and Logan McDonald and Chad Warner or the Swans can go and get f**ked!!!!!!

And getting a bloke that is so bad Mitchell hasn’t picked him despite having a spot for a tall defender most of the year and has been going so badly in the vfl he has had to be moved forward in the past couple of weeks… he is a complete potato

You missed the whole joke didn’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This barass to sydney thing is gaining momentum.

Would consider if we get sydneys first round pick.
Absolutely have to get Sydney’s first as a bare minimum, and really want more.

What would Wells (Geelong) be asking for in this situation?

Our negotiators need to get tougher. Stop the rolling over.

Itd be interesting if theres any truth to barrass wanting out.
A top 10 pick should definitely be enough
Curtain would probably be gone but if you're after a like for like(which i dont think is absolutely necessary with the pick) then what about O'Sullivan?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The replay of the WA vs Vic Country’s now available for those who missed it. The coverage is a bit lacking because the camerawork is distant throughout and the commentator was evidently struggling to identify players. It may be that I’ve assessed players harshly because I couldn’t identify them at all times.

Curtin was excellent. Hard to see how we can get him and Reid.

Collard looked very good, probably should’ve had 4 goals from his 8 possessions. I don’t think there’s much chance he gets through to pick 40. Very high impact player with speed who would be a great addition to the list.

I don’t see it with Livingston. Seems a bit awkward and didn’t really display the vaunted physicality. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Sanchez impressed me. Looks to be a smart, clean player and knows where the goals are. Could he be another Noah Long type?

Hall got plenty of it but his disposal was down compared to his previous efforts.

Tholstrup was a bit disappointing, love his endeavour but not convinced of a position for him on what I’ve seen.

Edwards was disappointing. Didn’t appear to provide ruck ascendancy. I’d be very surprised if he’s a top 10 pick.

Duursma didn’t live up to the boom.

Harley Reid was excellent, obviously.
Yeah I really liked Dirty Sanchez's game, could be a player and a sneaky 2nd rounder

I think Steven May being traded to a Melbourne is a comparable trade as he was a vice captain for Gold Coast, yet to get in AA team, the draft was similarly strong that year, he was under contract (although he only had one year left) and May was 28 at the time. May and Kade Kolodjashnij were traded for pick 6.

Pick 6 is probably fair value but there’s no point in trading for fair value when he is contracted for the foreseeable future and we have little cover in this position. Others have mentioned how we have struggled immensely without him. Acquiring talent is important but putting our talent in positions to play competitive football and develop is more important. Gold Coast and GWS had an abundance of failed early picks, likely because they lacked the leaders and competitive football matches. If we are trading Tom Barrass then we need massive overs and should not settle for fair value.

I think Steven May being traded to a Melbourne is a comparable trade as he was a vice captain for Gold Coast, yet to get in AA team, the draft was similarly strong that year, he was under contract (although he only had one year left) and May was 28 at the time. May and Kade Kolodjashnij were traded for pick 6.

Pick 6 is probably fair value but there’s no point in trading for fair value when he is contracted for the foreseeable future and we have little cover in this position. Others have mentioned how we have struggled immensely without him. Acquiring talent is important but putting our talent in positions to play competitive football and develop is more important. Gold Coast and GWS had an abundance of failed early picks, likely because they lacked the leaders and competitive football matches. If we are trading Tom Barrass then we need massive overs and should not settle for fair value.

Kade was a salary dump. GC and Kade already knew his concussion issues were almost certainly career ending and Melbourne were well aware that he was very close to or 1 concussion away from it being the end of his career.

Kade being in the trade actually lowered the cost for Melbourne pick wise.

It really is a shame as Kade was a very, very good young player and would have gone on to have a much more stellar career than his less talented brother. His kicking was sublime.

We wont like it but we know its going to happen

Barass to Sydney for Pick 6 etc

Mitch McGovern to WCE on a 2 year deal
It won't be popular, but I'm not against it. Mitch McGovern is a downgrade on Barrass, but from what I've seen he's a better defender than he ever was a forward, and he's better right now than Bazzo or Harry Edwards. We'd get him for minimal cost in draft picks, provided we were prepared to wear his salary. We wouldn't have to pay him what he's extorting from Carlton, but I imagine there will be other clubs prepared to still pay him more than he's worth if we won't. If Barrass actually wants to leave, we'll have to do something to fill the gap while younger players develop, and this is no worse than some other options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't be popular, but I'm not against it. Mitch McGovern is a downgrade on Barrass, but from what I've seen he's a better defender than he ever was a forward, and he's better right now than Bazzo or Harry Edwards. We'd get him for minimal cost in draft picks, provided we were prepared to wear his salary. We wouldn't have to pay him what he's extorting from Carlton, but I imagine there will be other clubs prepared to still pay him more than he's worth if we won't. If Barrass actually wants to leave, we'll have to do something to fill the gap while younger players develop, and this is no worse than some other options.
Cool, so we will have 1.8mill worth of McGoverns sitting on our injury list for the majority of next year.

Trade Barrass for 6 and 22 and pay a portion of his salary.

I wonder if North would interested in trading pick 2 for our F1 (1 to 4) plus 22 (Swans) as well need to throw a sweeter

Hit the draft with 1,2,6,21, 34,38

Reid AND Curtin only is a killer draft

Doubt it, North are looking at McKercher even if they had pick 1.

Mitch McGovern is out of contract come season end and a non free agent. I would expect a future 4th would do it. So there is no salary off-load for Carlton - I cannot see Carlton (and hopefully us) offering him much by way of salary.

As you say, a fill in if Barrass was to leave. Not the worst but does not get me excited.

Where there's smoke there's often fire. Barrass to Sydney is really gathering momentum. Reports of Brisbane, Essendon and Bulldogs won't change his value at the trade table, he'll nominate his destination so there won't be a bidding war.

Sydney with it's list profile and access to their academy can afford to part with their first rd pick and not feel guilty.

If they offer their current pick 6, I think that's the sweet spot of Barrass' value/what we'd be willing to trade him for. If Sydney finish the season well and end up with pick 10-12, that's not enough for Barrass. If Richmond & Carlton jump above them and they're holding pick 4, I don't reckon they part with it.

Two teams in Sydney.

Both almost at similar stages of development. Giants in a mini rebuild.

Either could play finals next year.

If TB preferred Swans but GWS offered a better deal that wouldn't come into play?

AFL impose Salary Cap to AFL clubs for a good reason. Club A should never trade player to another club B and play part of the salary. Club B will then has a higher effective salary cap, which is not fair for the other 16 clubs.

I see the Jamieson to the backline idea trotted out a bit.

I just don't see it.

I have no doubt he could be potentially effective on leading forwards but I have serious doubts he'll ever be able to match AFL level forwards in the 1-1s. Which would be pretty easily exploited.

He's about to turn 23, are we really expecting him to turn into a physical beast in the next 2-3 years?

So the choice is Jamison defends well on the lead but may struggle 1 on 1.

Harry Edwards gets killed on the lead but does better 1 on 1.

How many KP defenders are good at both? Barrass and McGovern are not super great 1 on 1 either.

Want Reid with Pick 1, don't want to lose Barrass but if we do I hope the club actually shows some backbone and we get a good deal for him.

A reverse Tim Kelly trade please. All the picks. But better picks cos we're dealing with a team that actually has currency :moustache:

Two teams in Sydney.

Both almost at similar stages of development. Giants in a mini rebuild.

Either could play finals next year.

If TB preferred Swans but GWS offered a better deal that wouldn't come into play?
Pyke & Cox being at Sydney might be more of an incentive for him to go there, as he'd have history with both, being coaches at WCE when he was picked drafted.

Want Reid with Pick 1, don't want to lose Barrass but if we do I hope the club actually shows some backbone and we get a good deal for him.

A reverse Tim Kelly trade please. All the picks. But better picks cos we're dealing with a team that actually has currency :moustache:
Cant see WCE trying to take Sydney to the cleaners, to be honest. Can't see Sydney trying to lowball either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back