List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
You need a

You need a squad to be competitive.

How many of the very best kids in the land have a premiership medal.

Tom Boyd 2013.
Luke Hodge 2001.

Two in 23 years.
I'm late to the discussion, so it's possible someone else has made this point.

Are you confusing the kid drafted at pick 1, with the highest rated kid in any given draft year?

Since I have been following the draft (10 years now).

Petracca, pick 2 was considered the highest rated kid in 2014, but St Kilda with pick 1 desperately needed a KPF.

2016 McCluggage was viewed as the best kid, but went pick 3.

2018 was near impossible to get a consensus. Twomey had Walsh at 1. Draft Central (and ESPN) had Lukosius at 1. Fox Sport (who's draft watcher had just crossed over from Draft Central) had Rankine, and used Champion Data to help formulate their top 100 for their draft night show big board.

2022 most draft watchers had Ashcroft 2nd pick, or Wardlaw 4th pick, as their best kid.

Why would Grundy come to a mess of a side on the opposite side of the country when he’s got a side in his home town in desperate need for a good ruck and are in premiership contention?

Yep- the Crows are the team that shows how it is done. I suspect North start to rise pretty quickly over the next few years as well (like Brisbnae did when they eventually got it right).

Finish last this year and hopefully bottom 4 next year. That's 3 years of picking at the best spots in the draft. Then start looking to trade for needs in 2025 and 2026 and we're back in contention. Just in time for our 2030 flag.
We "got it right" after bottoming out for 3 seasons, in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Because at the end of 2018 we traded in Neale, Lyons, McCarthy, Adams and Hodge, after trading in Cameron the year before, while still having Zorko, Rich, Robinson, Christensen and Steph Martin in the team.

That was 11 senior players. Plus another 4 players from the 2013 and 2014 drats.

We weren't actually a young team, nor really built through bottoming out and going to the draft.

Right now, we have players that we drafted: 1 player from the 2014 draft, 1 player from the 2015 draft, 2 players from the 2016 draft, and 4 players from the 2017 draft in our team. None from the 2018 draft. 1 player from the 2019 draft.

But we do have 4 (well 3 now) first round picks from the 2021 and 2022 drafts playing in our senior team this season.

Half of our current best 22 were traded in.

Plenty.

Flight risk?
Eggs in one basket?
Has Reid reached his ceiling?

In 2019, it was Rowell then daylight. Caleb Serong wouldn't have been called "top end talent". He's the best of that draft now.
That's not true.

In 2019 there was an almost consensus top 3 of Rowell, Anderson and Jackson. Then there were another 7 to 10 kids in the next tier.

This year, it's Reid, McKercher, Curtin and Sanders. Gap. Then Watson, Duursma, Caddy, O'Sullivan and Wilson. Gap. Then Murphy, Edwards, Archer Reid, Tholstrup, Sanchez, Hardeman, Callinan, Lual and Freijah. Then a whole lot of question marks.

And that third group of mine would normally be drafted in the first half of the second round, between picks 20 to 30.

Why would Grundy come to a mess of a side on the opposite side of the country when he’s got a side in his home town in desperate need for a good ruck and are in premiership contention?
Grundy’s from SA, Melbourne’s not his home town.

I don’t think we should be chasing Grundy though, we need to develop the young rucks we have. English may be available next year too, which is all the more reason not to chase a stop-gap ruckman this year.

Grundy’s from SA, Melbourne’s not his home town.

I don’t think we should be chasing Grundy though, we need to develop the young rucks we have. English may be available next year too, which is all the more reason not to chase a stop-gap ruckman this year.
I think he's talking about Port Adelaide.

There seems to be a fairly strong sentiment about either trading for English now or walking him in a year when he’s out of contract. Me? I think he would have rocks in his head leaving such a strong side who are and will be in contention for some time to come here. Do people really think a few family ties would drag a professional footballer across country to play for our dog’s breakfast of a club and give up years at the top in the spotlight?
I think ya dreaming’ !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a fairly strong sentiment about either trading for English now or walking him in a year when he’s out of contract. Me? I think he would have rocks in his head leaving such a strong side who are and will be in contention for some time to come here. Do people really think a few family ties would drag a professional footballer across country to play for our dog’s breakfast of a club and give up years at the top in the spotlight?
I think ya dreaming’ !!

Considering we can pay him substantially more and he’d get to be back home, yeah I think there’s a large possibility he’d prefer that over being in a middling team like the Dogs, they are a finals team but they aren’t serious by any means.

I think ya dreaming’ !!
Money can make people do some crazy things.

Are we even sure north would take reid? Sounds like theyd bid on the GCS kid then take curtin, They need talls

Hewett looks okay, but is super inconsistent. Will win the game one week and then have 5 handballs the next. If he keeps his head on then he should be a 150 gamer but thats still a fair way away.

We won't get that for Barrass if he goes.
And those 4-5 players are all Duggan quality at best, Brander quality at worst. So long term that's probably 3 decent players vs 2 top end possible star players.
He's gone 16,11,18,12,17 in the last 5 weeks since he's come back into the team and had a good run at it - not been injured or a sub.
Hardly inconsistent for a first year player in a team getting absolutely destroyed. I'd say he projects far better than just a 150-gamer

The deal needs a bit more tweaking but the Melbourne trade including Van Rooyen appeals. If it can include a pick that nets us McKercher or Curtin I think it works. We need KPF support for Allen, Van Rooyen looks a gun. Not sure where we will get one over the next couple years otherwise. Let's say we go Curtin with the other pick, then next year take an elite mid O'Sullivan, Draper, Smilie or Smith.

Foundations of next 8-10 yrs rebuild:

FWD: Allen, JVR, Maric, Long, + Tholstrup or Sanchez drafted this yr
MID: Smilie (for example), Ginbey, Hewett, Culley, Chesser
BACK: Curtin, Hough, Bazzo, say Hardeman drafted this yr
B.Williams as RUCK/FWD
  • plus additionally our R2 pick next yr (prob 19-21) and our R1&R2 the following year (which should be high picks too). Should get some role players from some of the other picks too
  • plus another top-10 pick if Barrass goes
  • also have potential of Burgeil, Barnett who are untested at this point, more or less
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Reid, but if we do split then I think McKercher or Curtin + JVR is one of the better scenarios

People wanted a stop gap ruck last year

Which wouldve robbed us of probably the only positive to come out of this year in Williams

Now folks are saying to use draft capital on a 30 year old Brodie Grundy? Hayes from Port or Bryan from Essendon are 2 young rucks I'd rather look at (if they came cheap) and we feel we need an extra ruck.

But we could also just get more games into BW, or maybe Jamieson could do what Williams has this year if he gets an opportunity, or get games into Barnett.

The Grundy idea is just terrible though

You are ignoring every other pick we already have in the draft and any other picks we may receive from trades of players.

There is no need to split Pick 1.

I'm hoping this is where we end up.

We move on Barrass, Gaff, Yeo, Petrucelle, Witherden, Rotham and even Ryan. Get what we can in picks, pick upgrades and players. Gaff will be a salary dump deal just to free up a spot.

True, but if you assume that every pick past #10 in the 2023 + 2024 drafts is a complete bust.
We also can't assume Bazzo, Chesser, Culley, Hewett will all of a sudden become stars.

Our 2026 proven squad is therefore in theory (being generous)
Ryan
Duggan
Cole
Allen
---------
B. Williams
Hough
Long
Ginbey
R1 2023
R1 2024

That's 10/30 Needed for a serious premiership assault. That's still only halfway there on our books now. That's a lot of positions to lock down that some middling picks won't address.
The best case is that Chesser, Bazzo, Barnett, Hewett, Maric, Burgiel plus maybe a few other roughies become big parts of that squad too. And of course if we can lock in predicted top 10 picks in 2025 & 2026 as well.

Over thinking it.

Remember the premiership teams listed in here a while ago with the elite talent highlighted? 6 or 7 guns per team. The rest were solid role players brought in via trades or picks after 15.

Undeniable proof several times on what you need to win a flag.

We need to draft or trade in 6 to 7 elite / A grade players. We may have 1 or 3 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back