List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Oh and I would like to recruit a list manager that lives in Perth. The Pieman can stay as chief recruiter but he has an input on who is good but we draft for our next tilt and not per his sorts.

Continuing your list;
1. A real review of strength and conditioning staff (why is it we seem to have endless lower leg muscular injuries?)
2. A real review of medical staff - maybe the conservative approach isn’t always the best and active intervention is required. Fock - Hawthorn and Brisbanes medics seem to work wonders with their recruits. I reckon they gained a few recruits on the back of their medics.
3. Review Beagles - is playing with team mates not of league standard helping development process. I’d think not.
4. Why is our development of younger players seemingly not up to scratch? Lack of development of lack of opportunity or ????
5. List management - long contracts and big bucks to the chosen few. No wonder they have so many credits in the bank.

I don't know why we would be giving up a first for bruhn.

Jhy Caldwell was 1 pick earlier in his draft year and bombers payed pick 30 + F2nd for Caldwell + 44 (ended up 39) + 77 (ended up 53)

They basically gave up pick 30 for Caldwell, then paying the future 2nd to get picks 39 + 53 .

If we split our top 5 pick for say 12 + 15

15 for English
Ports 2nd for bruhn

Take 12 + our 2nd and 3rd to the draft .

Now all we have to do is flog gaff off for a 3rd and salary relief
We're not getting English for pick 15 and we're not getting Bruhn for a second round pick, no matter how high it is.

We're not getting English for pick 15 and we're not getting Bruhn for a second round pick, no matter how high it is.
Why would we not get bruhn for a high 2nd ?

I literally gave you an example of essendon getting Caldwell from gws who was pick 11 for pick 30 after 2 years .

As for English it depends on how low we finish . If we have a credible PSD threat then we may get him for unders

Why would we not get bruhn for a high 2nd ?

I literally gave you an example of essendon getting Caldwell from gws who was pick 11 for pick 30 after 2 years .

As for English it depends on how low we finish . If we have a credible PSD threat then we may get him for unders
Because he's a mid-first round pick in his second year and is playing well?
You'd crucify our recruitment team if we used pick 12 on a midfielder, had him play some games at a decent level over his first two years and then traded him for a pick in the 20s.

Bond suggested a low pick in the 20's for Bruhn so that may happen.

What may come into play is our top 5 pick goes to GWS for its 1st plus Bruhn.

Pick 3 for Bruhn and pick 9 say and squeeze a 3rd rounder out of them as well.

Then with our 2nd, Ports and a 3rd we need to get another 1st to trade for English as we all know we are required to use one first rounder this draft.

Really in order to fast track any rebuild we need to do what the Hawks couldnt. Trade out a couple of older players for picks to hit the draft harder.

But who?

Its not the West Coast way but that trade for Kelly may force our hand.
Maybe we just say to the older players that we are rebuilding, if you want to chase a flag we will try to facilitate a trade . If you stay you are not guaranteed a game .

Someone like redden may get another gig as a free agent . You would think guys like shuey and nic would stay on for less money .

Gaff may chase a flag . Recon we could get a 2nd rounder if we paid part of his salary for his remaining 2 years .

We probably end up with picks 5, 21, 23. Ashcroft as FS drops us down a further spot so 1st rounder will be #6 . Draft is a good year for rucks, there's a few good KPP, not that great for quality mids. I'm a big fan of taking the best available but at #6 it could be down to positional needs.
If we go for a midfielder what do we want? Outside/ inside onballer or a winger?
It’s a top 2, not including Ashcroft, then you could pretty much draft for need from the next group.

You'd crucify our recruitment team if we used pick 12 on a midfielder, had him play some games at a decent level over his first two years and then traded him for a pick in the 20s.
Gws wouldn't be trading him he would be leaving for opportunity.

Every other club gets these types of trades from GWS why not us ?

He's been in and out of the side, unused sub last week.

GWS are being criticised for drafting too many mids year in year out, so some will ask to go elsewhere for opportunity. They are the opposite to the Eagles in drafting mids, mids and more mids.

And at the end of the day the recruitment team reaps what it sows. Too many good young mids and not enough spots to play them all.

He's been in and out of the side, unused sub last week.

GWS are being criticised for drafting too many mids year in year out, so some will ask to go elsewhere for opportunity. They are the opposite to the Eagles in drafting mids, mids and more mids.

And at the end of the day the recruitment team reaps what it sows. Too many good young mids and not enough spots to play them all.
I mean he played 13 games in his first year (including finals), missed the first this year and has played every game since? Seems fairly well entrenched in the side to me.
Also he must be pretty good to get 11 disposals as the unused sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gws wouldn't be trading him he would be leaving for opportunity.

Every other club gets these types of trades from GWS why not us ?
He's getting plenty of opportunities. And what do you mean GWS wouldn't be trading him? He's not a free agent, if he wants to leave we still need to trade something for him. And we're not the type of club to threaten the draft route.

Maybe we just say to the older players that we are rebuilding, if you want to chase a flag we will try to facilitate a trade . If you stay you are not guaranteed a game .

Someone like redden may get another gig as a free agent . You would think guys like shuey and nic would stay on for less money .

Gaff may chase a flag . Recon we could get a 2nd rounder if we paid part of his salary for his remaining 2 years .

Yeo is an interesting one. Id play him half back the next couple of games to get fitter and throw West or XON into the guts. He may need to go back to a flank so Clark and others get a crack. How will he take that?

If he played reasonably well and stayed fit for the remainder he may opt to move elsewhere plus still hold currency.

Unfortunately I dont see Gaff attracting too much interest with the salary he's on. Simply not damaging enough.

And Darling, he would still attract interest. Jack may have been a bit off the way the vaccine thing played out but lets be honest, he didnt go off the rails with drugs and getting arrested for assault. If those types get 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances no club would care about the jab mandate standoff.

Yeo is an interesting one. Id play him half back the next couple of games to get fitter and throw West or XON into the guts.

If he played reasonably well and stayed fit for the remainder he may opt to move elsewhere plus still hold currency.

Unfortunately I dont see Gaff attracting too much interest with the salary he's on.

And Darling, he would still attract interest. Jack may have been a bit off the way the vaccine thing played out but lets be honest, he didnt go off the rails with drugs and getting arrested for assault. If those types get 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances no club would care about the jab mandate standoff.
Yeo was playing half back v Sydney, I think they figured it out after the 1st quarter of doing SFA. Good idea, let him play some good footy before a full game as a mid.
Gaff will play for a few more years yet, still our most consistent player by a mile and one i'd keep unless someone offered a really good package which is unlikely.

Yeo was playing half back v Sydney, I think they figured it out after the 1st quarter of doing SFA. Good idea, let him play some good footy before a full game as a mid.
Gaff will play for a few more years yet, still our most consistent player by a mile and one i'd keep unless someone offered a really good package which is unlikely.
At this point if someone offered to take him, pay his full salary and only gave us a second rounder or something I'd take that and ****ing run.
He's one of the most overrated players in the league imo

I mean he played 13 games in his first year (including finals), missed the first this year and has played every game since? Seems fairly well entrenched in the side to me.
Also he must be pretty good to get 11 disposals as the unused sub.

He was an unused sub round 1 and sub round 4 but came on.

You dont agree that GWS recruiting team has drafted too many mids?

And they seem to lose one ever year. Quite often for unders. That has never happened?

He was an unused sub round 1 and sub round 4 but came on.

You dont agree that GWS recruiting team has drafted too many mids?

And they seem to lose one ever year. Quite often for unders. That has never happened?
Lure of returning closer to home and the party town that is Melbourne

Simo mentioned that was an option with Yeo pre game, a good one. Easier to get back into tthe speed and flow of the game playing half back rather than on ball.

But it also opens up a spot to keep playing West or XON or Clark. Clark also played half back, he and Yeo could rotate atsome stage of games, not so much during quarters but at breaks. Give them 50 - 50 gametime between midfield and half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back