List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Watching Rotham happily compete in the GF sprint makes me think (1) he has a pretty good feeling he is being offered a contract and (2) how badly we have managed his development with our slow chip and run defence.

I liked the pick at the time we drafted him but cannot see third tall KPD in him. That is because he isn’t a KPD and he isn’t the long kicking king. When we drafted him it was his run and carry off a flank. Still is and we need to adapt our game plan.

Last edited:
Speaking of defensive game plan, interesting watching Salem and Daniels role as the distributor to open targets. Will this be Witherdon or Cole?. I had thought Johnson may have played the role but he is delisted and probably suffered from lack of targets at Beagles coupled with a similar kick long to the right next to the boundary line.

An overage player but Avery looks to be a late option to be a Salem type plus he brings some aggression.

Speaking of defensive game plan, interesting watching Salem and Daniels role as the distributor to open targets. Will this be Witherdon or Cole?. I had thought Johnson may have played the role but he is delisted and probably suffered from lack of targets at Beagles coupled with a similar kick long to the right next to the boundary line.

An overage player but Avery looks to be a late option to be a Salem type plus he brings some aggression.
What’s Avery’s speed and disposal like? He won’t be a lot like Salem if he brings aggression instead of the other 2!

Watching Rotham happily compete in the GF sprint makes me think (1) he has a pretty good feeling he is being offered a contract and (2) how badly we have managed his development with our slow chip and run defence.

I liked the pick at the time we drafted him and cannot see third tall KPD in him. That if because he isn’t a KPD and he isn’t the long kicking king. When we drafted him it was his run and carry off a flank. Still is and we need to adapt our game plan.
pace is a key to good defence, and it is defensive pressure we have lacked.

pace is a key to good defence, and it is defensive pressure we have lacked.
I think pace is the key to good attack (ball speed more than leg speed, although leg speed does help).

Midfield pressure is the key to good defence. That's more workrate than leg speed. As others have often mentioned we must stop or slow the regularity of broken tackles against us, and also get rid of or drastically change the team defence that is clearly past its use by date.

A major positive is that our forward line is elite (other than forward pressure). Get the ball in quickly and we will likely score enough to at least get close to most teams. Then we can work on execution and forward/mid pressure to allow repeat entries.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think pace is the key to good attack (ball speed more than leg speed, although leg speed does help).

Midfield pressure is the key to good defence. That's more workrate than leg speed. As others have often mentioned we must stop or slow the regularity of broken tackles against us, and also get rid of or drastically change the team defence that is clearly past its use by date.

A major positive is that our forward line is elite (other than forward pressure). Get the ball in quickly and we will likely score enough to at least get close to most teams. Then we can work on execution and forward/mid pressure to allow repeat entries.

I agree, sadly some see defence as the province of the backline only

I liked the pick at the time we drafted him and cannot see third tall KPD in him. That if because he isn’t a KPD and he isn’t the long kicking king. When we drafted him it was his run and carry off a flank. Still is and we need to adapt our game plan.
I think he definitely needs to be encouraged to be the run out of D50. Become a Bailey Dale type, use his pace and kicking! This was like you mentioned what got him drafted.

Who does this leave?
O'Brien, Smith (my Bond suspect), Woodhouse and Battison???
Is bond really part of the eagles? Nothing he has ever said has been more than vague hints that any one of us could say

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Nissy will get involved a fair bit too.

I think you might be right there.

The other night when I listened to Nissy being interviewed on the radio, I though it a bit unusual some of the subject matter he covered and commented on, it was on areas of player recruiting and the new coaching assistance appointments.

Nissy has been involved, at some stage of his long career with us, in pretty much every facet of the Club administrative functions, so it would not surprise me in the least if he gets involved.

May I also say that I wish Vozzo all the best in a speedy recovery and refresh.

He is a real asset at the Club and his calm and steady manner will be missed.

I agree, sadly some see defence as the province of the backline only
Last night was the perfect example in the 1st half (although I understand there was a breeze also).

Melbourne defence looked like the best ever in Q1, then borderline AFL standard Q2. Was all due to the pressure (then lack thereof) from their mids.

Can we grab one of Melbourne recruiters?

Obviously their upper end has come from high draft picks and trades however they have round out their best 25 or so in the draft. Since 2017 they have hit on every single top 40 pick..

2017 - Spargo at 29, Fritsch at 31 and Petty at 37
2018 - Sparrow at 27, Jordan at 33
2019 - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32.
Bit early to judge 2020 but Bowey at pick 21 just played in the GF

Obviously their upper end has come from high draft picks and trades however they have round out their best 25 or so in the draft. Since 2017 they have hit on every single top 40 pick..

I would take a homeless dog with one eye over Rohan O’Brien

The Melbourne recruitment team have been much better since Todd Viney moved gave Taylor the reins. Looking at 2018

To have Spargo at 29 (he was tipped a late first rounder earlier in 2018), you would have to give up Allen or Ryan. Which one? Having taken Allen and Brander, not seeing the need for Petty.

What worries me about the Pieman is that he keeps picking his type and seems to not be connected with the coach on where the game is heading

No way that I see O’Brien drafting an Oliver or Libba sort. Only need 1 but we don’t go there.

What’s Avery’s speed and disposal like? He won’t be a lot like Salem if he brings aggression instead of the other 2!

Salim is 26 & went at 9 in the 2013 draft.

I liked the pick at the time we drafted him but cannot see third tall KPD in him. That is because he isn’t a KPD and he isn’t the long kicking king. When we drafted him it was his run and carry off a flank. Still is and we need to adapt our game plan.

Perhaps he could be the winger that we havent had since Masten in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back