News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think all the garbage in the media at the moment that GAJ is worth a R1 or even a R2 is, well, pure garbage.

As a fixed rule: YOU DO NOT TRADE ROUND 1 PICKS OR QUALITY YOUTH FOR 34 YEAR OLDS.

I don't care if it's ablett senior, you just don't.

Now.. at the same time I get a little nervous being a Geelong supporter over trade time coz we are the only club who over-pays/provides a bit of charity, or as some on here call it "easy to deal with" which has some positives, but surely, we would not be dumb enough to trade ANY youngsters or anything better than a R3 pick for GAJ.

If GC stay strong and pressure us for a R1, or anything of any value, I'd hope we simply walk away. We cannot be pushed around anymore at the trade table and if it's anything more than a R3, it's no longer worth it from our perspective given our list profile.

Yep, I think we all agree it's a 3rd or 4th round pick or nothing. But why do I have that sinking feeling we've committed to Ablett and will trade something of significance to make it happen? History shows we get deals done, even if it involves paying slight overs. Here is hoping we simply walk away if GC become too demanding..

I think they'll probably end up settling for a swap of picks and a fringe player. For them it's more about the salary dump and the options that opens up. They then have picks a plenty to offer up to try and get some handy types through trade and free agency.

Like all bargaining they'll start high and Geelong should just refer to his age. If he was 28 then different story but he's not. Id suggest that things are well and truly underway in an unofficial capacity.

Yep, I think we all agree it's a 3rd or 4th round pick or nothing. But why do I have that sinking feeling we've committed to Ablett and will trade something of significance to make it happen? History shows we get deals done, even if it involves paying slight overs. Here is hoping we simply walk away if GC become too demanding..
We owe Gary nothing, so any commitment should not be a noose for ourselves

I'm starting to feel this just won't happen. It's not in gold coasts interest to let their best player go, no matter how old he is, and it's not in our interest to trade a high pick or a young player. That would be stupid. It's not like hawthorn who wanted to get rid of Mitchell and lewis. GC don't want to lose ablett.

Why do GC care about cap space when no FA wants to go there, and why do they care about draft picks when they already have heaps in the next draft already?

His last few games show he deserves his place right now....

Varcoe and Caddy weren't dropped and were subsequently traded. They were both clearly best 22 when the club moved them on. But yeah I can't see them trading Blitz, Scott loves him. I'd personally move him on for the right draft pick, but I'd certainly be happy to keep him too.

I was being a bit facetious. So many people on here go on about how he is untouchable and how bad he is.

I actually quite like Blitz. I'm overly optimistic about all of our boys in general.

I'm starting to feel this just won't happen. It's not in gold coasts interest to let their best player go, no matter how old he is, and it's not in our interest to trade a high pick or a young player. That would be stupid. It's not like hawthorn who wanted to get rid of Mitchell and lewis. GC don't want to lose ablett.

Why do GC care about cap space when no FA wants to go there, and why do they care about draft picks when they already have heaps in the next draft already?

It actually is in their interest to let him go because it opens up almost 1 mil of cap space that they can use in the trade period to get one elite (much younger) player in to replace him or 2 very good players on 500k each, and there is no chance (given he is 33) he will be around to play in their first flag so they are better off dumping his money and using it to get in good younger players who will be. The fact that he's their best player becomes irrelevant once you accept that by the time they are winning a flag he will be well retired. As I mentioned earlier Ablett can threaten to not retire until December which means they can't trade in players (using the money he's on) without risking cap penalties so getting him gone early in the trade period gives them certainty and let's them attract players.

Let's be honest the only reason we are even talking about the possibility of Ablett not being traded is because of what type of character their chairman Cochrane is and the fact that he has shown he likes to meddle in his football dept's decisions and there is a likelihood he would be arrogant enough to force Ablett into retirement out of spite (which may well happen). If you assume the people who make the trade decisions at GC can keep Cochrane out of it he will get traded early and for not much in terms of picks because it is in their best interest to do so.

It actually is in their interest to let him go because it opens up almost 1 mil of cap space that they can use in the trade period to get one elite (much younger) player in to replace him or 2 very good players on 500k each, and there is no chance (given he is 33) he will be around to play in their first flag so they are better off dumping his money and using it to get in good younger players who will be. The fact that he's their best player becomes irrelevant once you accept that by the time they are winning a flag he will be well retired. As I mentioned earlier Ablett can threaten to not retire until December which means they can't trade in players (using the money he's on) without risking cap penalties so getting him gone early in the trade period gives them certainty and let's them attract players.

Let's be honest the only reason we are even talking about the possibility of Ablett not being traded is because of what type of character their chairman Cochrane is and the fact that he has shown he likes to meddle in his football dept's decisions and there is a likelihood he would be arrogant enough to force Ablett into retirement out of spite (which may well happen). If you assume the people who make the trade decisions at GC can keep Cochrane out of it he will get traded early and for not much in terms of picks because it is in their best interest to do so.
That's probably going to be the sticking point, Cochroach will be a spiteful prick and the deal probably won't get done, or we cough up more than we should.

That's probably going to be the sticking point, Cochroach will be a spiteful prick and the deal probably won't get done, or we cough up more than we should.

It makes no sense for him to play hard ball; it just makes the club look vindictive, amateurish and not attractive at all to other players. If a player wants out you don't force them to stay (or retire); it's nonsensical and counterproductive (particularly a player who has done more than any other for the club).
At the end of the day this is business, and you want your organisation to attract the best employees. A happy workplace is a productive workplace etc.

Last edited:
I think all the garbage in the media at the moment that GAJ is worth a R1 or even a R2 is, well, pure garbage.

As a fixed rule: YOU DO NOT TRADE ROUND 1 PICKS OR QUALITY YOUTH FOR 34 YEAR OLDS.

I don't care if it's ablett senior, you just don't.

Now.. at the same time I get a little nervous being a Geelong supporter over trade time coz we are the only club who over-pays/provides a bit of charity, or as some on here call it "easy to deal with" which has some positives, but surely, we would not be dumb enough to trade ANY youngsters or anything better than a R3 pick for GAJ.

If GC stay strong and pressure us for a R1, or anything of any value, I'd hope we simply walk away. We cannot be pushed around anymore at the trade table and if it's anything more than a R3, it's no longer worth it from our perspective given our list profile.

I'm thinking that Hawthorn took over as the #1 club for paying overs at the trade table after their efforts last year and it's going to take a damnn fine effort to beat what they did in 2016 - or maybe that's s**t effort depending how you want to look at things

I think it's pretty clear that Ablett will be playing with Geelong next year or no-one (i.e retire). He said as much (in so many words) on the footy show a few weeks back. IMO he has made his mind up and as far as I'm concerned, he is the one holding the aces.

If the GC want to force him in to retirement, so be it, but I can't see it happening, no matter how clueless that Cochrane is. They have zero credibility as a club right now and helping Ablett get home will help them in the long term in dealing with clubs. If they force him to retire, clubs will play hard ball with them every time. They either shoot themselves in the foot and be stubborn about it or realise they really have no option and release him as most decent clubs would.

They brought in 4 top 10 picks in 2016. They still have some tall timber there in Witts, Wright and Lynch who are all 25yo or under. They got in Barlow and Hanley last year. Rischi is basically done.

They have Hawthorn, Freo and Richmond's 2nd round picks this year. So there draft will look something like 6, 20, 24, 27, 33 for them based on the current ladder, so they can bring in another 5 top 35 picks if all goes well.

I think they would be mental not to let Ablett go. If I was them I would try and wrangle 1-2 more top 35 picks in 2017 with some smart trading. Would try and move up in the draft to bid on some top end talent from the academies (if it exists) and try and get in 1-2 hard, mature, seasoned, leaders at the club - think Jordan Lewis, think Sam Mitchell, from this year (think what GWS did when they started). I would be very happy knowing that in 2 years 8-10 top 35 draft picks, including 5+ top 10s have come into the club. They still have a very young list with some nice talent there under 26 - especially at the key positions. 2019 I would see where the list is at, and armed with Ablett's cash, plus knowing more about where the holes in my list are would go out and recruit 2-3-4 mid-top end players via FA and perhaps trade - think what we did with Hendo, Scooter, Touhy and then a year later (2 more top 10 players on the list) would be playing finals.

I should be a list manager!

They brought in 4 top 10 picks in 2016. They still have some tall timber there in Witts, Wright and Lynch who are all 25yo or under. They got in Barlow and Hanley last year. Rischi is basically done.

They have Hawthorn, Freo and Richmond's 2nd round picks this year. So there draft will look something like 6, 20, 24, 27, 33 for them based on the current ladder, so they can bring in another 5 top 35 picks if all goes well.

I think they would be mental not to let Ablett go. If I was them I would try and wrangle 1-2 more top 35 picks in 2017 with some smart trading. Would try and move up in the draft to bid on some top end talent from the academies (if it exists) and try and get in 1-2 hard, mature, seasoned, leaders at the club - think Jordan Lewis, think Sam Mitchell, from this year (think what GWS did when they started). I would be very happy knowing that in 2 years 8-10 top 35 draft picks, including 5+ top 10s have come into the club. They still have a very young list with some nice talent there under 26 - especially at the key positions. 2019 I would see where the list is at, and armed with Ablett's cash, plus knowing more about where the holes in my list are would go out and recruit 2-3-4 mid-top end players via FA and perhaps trade - think what we did with Hendo, Scooter, Touhy and then a year later (2 more top 10 players on the list) would be playing finals.

We hold all the cards. Hopefully we hold strong which means he comes back on our terms or not at all.

As for the "they would be mental not to let Ablett go" bit. They have a peculiar Chairman in Cochrane. Who would know what he would do.

Where are you situated these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes no sense for him to play hard ball; it just makes the club look vindictive, amateurish and not attractive at all to other players. If a player wants out you don't force them to stay (or retire); it's nonsensical and counterproductive (particularly a player who has done more than any other for the club).
At the end of the day this is business, and you want your organisation to attract the best employees. A happy workplace is a productive workplace etc.

I agree with all that and it's why they should trade him quickly cheaply and without acrimony but we have seen from Cochrane in V8 supercars that he has a pretty darn big ego and is happy to throw it around and not listen to other people's opinions a whole lot, so I wouldn't put it past him to try and torpedo this (and I have no doubt Gaz or his manager will threaten that he will retire if that happens). If it's just Ashcroft doing the deal (who I would imagine we get on pretty well with) and Cochrane is kept well clear of it it will be done pretty quickly easily and cheaply early in the trade period.

I think it's pretty clear that Ablett will be playing with Geelong next year or no-one (i.e retire). He said as much (in so many words) on the footy show a few weeks back. IMO he has made his mind up and as far as I'm concerned, he is the one holding the aces.

If the GC want to force him in to retirement, so be it, but I can't see it happening, no matter how clueless that Cochrane is. They have zero credibility as a club right now and helping Ablett get home will help them in the long term in dealing with clubs. If they force him to retire, clubs will play hard ball with them every time. They either shoot themselves in the foot and be stubborn about it or realise they really have no option and release him as most decent clubs would.

That's a pretty good summation of where it's at really.

We hold all the cards. Hopefully we hold strong which means he comes back on our terms or not at all.

As for the "they would be mental not to let Ablett go" bit. They have a peculiar Chairman in Cochrane. Who would know what he would do.

Back in Melbs m8ty!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

All those picks this year make me think they may try to swing a couple into next year... especially when the draft knowitalls are calling next year a superdraft. Would we trade a 2018 for Ablett and a 2017 pick?

Not all the cards... but its up to us if we play or fold. I still feel that we have to blur the lines so its difficult for anyone to say to Cockrane or Evans that they just were beaten by a pair of twos.

Given that he is contracted and playing well I just don't see how we'll get him here without parting with something of worth. The "he'll retire" threat is pretty empty. I don't think we'll be getting him.

Given that he is contracted and playing well I just don't see how we'll get him here without parting with something of worth. The "he'll retire" threat is pretty empty. I don't think we'll be getting him.

Its only empty if he isnt actually going to go through with it. If he is it means a lot.

FWIW i think he will be with us next year and the trade cost wont be much. Either way i can't see any chance he stays with GC at all.

Not all the cards... but its up to us if we play or fold. I still feel that we have to blur the lines so its difficult for anyone to say to Cockrane or Evans that they just were beaten by a pair of twos.

Disagree! Providing we stick to the proposition enunciated by CS and we are prepared to walk away unless our proposition is accepted then Gaz has a decision to make.

My guess our position would be along the lines of a late pick and a fringe player like GHS and Gaz would have to agree to a big pay cut which I understand he's prepared to do.

It's an easy call for GC if he decides to play on. However it's a much harder call if Gaz says it's either us of retire. Do you stand on your dig and get nothing of salvage something. Reckon Evans would do a deal. Not so sure about Cochrane.

My feeling is Gaz with play-on with GC and they will work out some sort of compromise where he's allowed to remain in Melbourne for a day or two following GCs Melbourne games.

All those picks this year make me think they may try to swing a couple into next year... especially when the draft knowitalls are calling next year a superdraft. Would we trade a 2018 for Ablett and a 2017 pick?
That's actually a very good idea and the future pick puts enough mystery in it to sell the trade for Suns people.

I haven't been following the draft class this year Turbo but wasn't this draft supposed to be a really strong one with lots of quality talls? Not the case any more?

I haven't been following the draft class this year Turbo but wasn't this draft supposed to be a really strong one with lots of quality talls? Not the case any more?

Exactly. Last year it was all this year...now that lot has not come on..and its next year thats got them all frothing at the mouth. It may change a bit after the champs but right now. Personally id think its a bit short sighted but thats the vibe thats coming.. that this year is just ordinary

Back