Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith's modes of dismissal, since taking over from Warner at the end of the Pakistan series...

LBW - 3
Bowled - 1
Caught (keeper) - 1
Caught (other) - 1
not out - 2

Of 6 completed innings, he's been LBW 3 times - and bowled in a 4th.

From memory (which may be wrong), he was bowled behind his legs, having moved too far to the off-side and exposing his stumps.

Exactly what I predicted, as an opener you cannot move across the stumps as much as he does.

Smith's modes of dismissal, since taking over from Warner at the end of the Pakistan series...

LBW - 3
Bowled - 1
Caught (keeper) - 1
Caught (other) - 1
not out - 2

Of 6 completed innings, he's been LBW 3 times - and bowled in a 4th.

From memory (which may be wrong), he was bowled behind his legs, having moved too far to the off-side and exposing his stumps.

I believe all three LBWs were unsuccessfully reviewed as well?

I believe all three LBWs were unsuccessfully reviewed as well?
Sort of...
  • The 2x LBW decisions in the 2nd NZ test were both reviewed unsuccessfully, by Smith.
  • The LBW decision in the 2nd Windies test was initially given not out, reviewed by the bowling team, and changed to out.
So... all 3 were reviewed, and all 3 decisions went against Smith - but Smith was only the instigator for 2 of them.

I'm getting this information from the Cricinfo scoreboards for those matches (click on the DRS link, in the Fall of Wickets list for each innings):
NZ vs AUS, Australia in New Zealand 2023/24, 2nd Test at Christchurch, March 08 - 11, 2024 - Full Scorecard
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-west-indies-2nd-test-1375846/full-scorecard

Sort of...
  • The 2x LBW decisions in the 2nd NZ test were both reviewed unsuccessfully, by Smith.
  • The LBW decision in the 2nd Windies test was initially given not out, reviewed by the bowling team, and changed to out.
So... all 3 were reviewed, and all 3 decisions went against Smith - but Smith was only the instigator for 2 of them.

I'm getting this information from the Cricinfo scoreboards for those matches (click on the DRS link, in the Fall of Wickets list for each innings):
NZ vs AUS, Australia in New Zealand 2023/24, 2nd Test at Christchurch, March 08 - 11, 2024 - Full Scorecard
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-west-indies-2nd-test-1375846/full-scorecard

So he was wrong 2/2 when it was his call, not great.

The thing about a good bouncer is you are a deer in the headlights. Most bouncers, you see and you move either way to avoid it, much like boxing, you don't have to move your face much to get out of the way, like when a punch is thrown.

A good bouncer though, doesn't look like one straight away...and worse, it may even be the same length as a normal bouncer you'd avoid, it almost deceives you, it kinds of fizzes but doesn't look like something harmful straight away.

That's the thing, if you pick it straight away, you can decide what to do, avoid or hit it, that millisecond of difference kills you though, you are not in position, you aren't in balance, you are a deer in the headlights with a 156gm projectile coming for your head.

That is why Thommo was so dangerous, his deliveries weren't easy to pick ( to an extent, Johnson was like that when he had his mojo , the ball he got Faf out with in South Africa, gun bat at the peak of powers and was made to look second rate) and when it was short, it fizzed, it didn't bounce normally and when it fizzed...Deer in the headlights.

Anyone who has batted aginst decent bowlers will get this, the guy who makes his bouncer fizz, makes you look like a tailender

Many years ago I went to the Adelaide test vs India with my late father and saw Thommo and Lillee when at the top of their game, Lillee was blinding fast but Thommo was something else with his slinging action. I will never forget when the then Indian captain Bishen Bedi strode out to the wicket turban atop his head. I reckon that was about the only place Thommo didn't hit him.

From memory Bedi only lasted less than an over before retiring hurt, I genuinely believe he feared for his life though maybe he was just protecting his spinning fingers for when they had to bowl. I favour the former.
You might have this confused with a different game.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...tralia-vs-india-5th-test-63199/full-scorecard

This is Bishan Bedi's only test at Adelaide. Lillee didn't play, Thomson went off injured in his 4th over (after taking two wickets, including Sunil Gavaskar.)

* I also made the same mistake because I remembered hearing tales of Bedi bowling India to victory in the 4th innings in Adelaide. But India didn't even bowl in the final innings of that match.

Maybe I'm confused about the particular game but Thommo definitely bowled to Bishen Bedi and hit him in the body numerous times late in the innings,.

The Perth test from the same series has India declaring with Bedi having faced 3 balls. The declaration came mid-over while Thomson was bowling. I suspect this is the one, it has a real "retired in terror" vibe to it.

Edit: And from the news report "Although the clock was far from being on his side, Bedi declared because he did not want to risk injury to himself or Chandrasekhar."

In Massive Crybaby News and South Africa not taking international matches seriously news. The African Games are going on at the moment, which includes a T20I tournament.

According to ranking point disparity, the two biggest upsets ever in T20 Internationals happened back to back. Nigeria defeated Namibia with a last ball six, and Kenya comfortably defeated South Africa.

This has resulted in at least one of the losers crying to the ICC and having the international status for the matches retroactively removed.

Incidentally Kenya still feature 42 year old Collins Obuya. Who featured in the Kenyan team that made the World Cup 2023 semi-finals, and made 98* against Australia in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back