Recommitted Darcy Parish [re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

I might get hate for this but this guy is better than Merrett imo
Merrett is a far more damaging player, best kick on the run/under pressure in the team hence why he was tagged all day even when Parish went off the leash. Parish has been huge this year though, even go as far to say he'd definitely be looking at the AA 40 at this point.

Absolute gun.

6 years. $4 million.
Although he bleeds red & black now, I think Ess have learned by now (in terms of the Shiel deal) that those long term deals can sometimes come to bite you back. I think it'll be a 4 or 5 year deal along those lines at a similar number. Maybe a trigger for a sixth thrown into. Plus, he's only really just started finding his feet now... unlike Merrett who has been a proven performer. If anyone is likely to get a 6+ year deal, it's him.

Tbh that's not too controversial. Parish has been one of the best mids in the competition this year and that's despite playing the first two games as a forward.

Merrett has more runs on the board though.
That's blatantly untrue. He spent 65% of his time in the first two rounds playing midfield.

The myth just keeps on growing

That's blatantly untrue. He spent 65% of his time in the first two rounds playing midfield.

The myth just keeps on growing
What I mean is he wasn't in our first rotation midfield.
He was behind Merrett, Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath. Now he attends the most CBAs.

It's not a coincidence his numbers sky-rocketed after Shiel and Caldwell went out injured.

What I mean is he wasn't in our first rotation midfield.
He was behind Merrett, Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath. Now he attends the most CBAs.

It's not a coincidence his numbers sky-rocketed after Shiel and Caldwell went out injured.
Merrett was playing on a wing first two rounds.

Merrett was playing on a wing first two rounds.
CBAs round 1

1. Draper - 21
2. Merrett - 24
3. Shiel - 23
4. Caldwell - 16
5. McGrath - 14
6. Parish - 11

CBAs round 2

1. Merrett - 20
2. Shiel - 19 (despite going out injured)
3. Draper - 19
4. McGrath - 19
5. Parish - 15 (mostly after Shiel and Caldwell went out injured)
6. Wright - 12
7. Caldwell - 11 (went out injured)

Its not a myth

CBAs round 1

1. Draper - 21
2. Merrett - 24
3. Shiel - 23
4. Caldwell - 16
5. McGrath - 14
6. Parish - 11

CBAs round 2

1. Merrett - 20
2. Shiel - 19 (despite going out injured)
3. Draper - 19
4. McGrath - 19
5. Parish - 15 (mostly after Shiel and Caldwell went out injured)
6. Wright - 12
7. Caldwell - 11 (went out injured)

Its not a myth
Well damn. That's very surprising. He seemed to be playing more outside first couple of rounds.

Well damn. That's very surprising. He seemed to be playing more outside first couple of rounds.
even if he was starting forward, i think he was pushing up as a mid pushed back. we seem to play light numbers in the forward line

Wright, Hooker, Jones & Stringer plus tippa as the key marking target :p

it's nice seeing this kid reach his potential.
i wasn't too enamoured on the pick on draft night, but from game 1 i was sold.

Round 1, 5 touches on the wing in the first quarter, 6 touches in the second quarter – two in the circle, three in the F50 and one on the wing. 5 touches in the third quarter, all within 25m of the 50m arc (both sides of it). 2 in the last quarter, in defence and on the wing. So 70% of his 18 touches (the numbers don't quite match up because possessions ≠ disposals) in the forward half in Round 1, and altogether mostly dotted around half-forward, wings, and a hotspot in the centre circle.

Round 2, he got 2 touches in the centre circle in the first quarter, didn't touch it in the second quarter, third quarter he got 5 mostly at half-back, and played in the centre circle and a bit on the wings in the last quarter for 9 touches – after Draper, Caldwell and Shiel were all benched with injuries between HT and 3QT.

Bit of both.

While mucking around in the AFL app looking at the heat maps though, I also found his player profile. Having a ripping season according to them. Above average Disp, CP, Kicks, SI, and elite for Clr and MG 🤔🤷‍♀️

134DC6DC-3CE3-4E65-8C61-563B1C4AAFDD.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On current form, looking for an AA spot.

Essendon would be crazy to let him go.
It wouldn't be us "letting him go". He's OOC, he can decide where he wants to play.

Really like what the dons have done this year with there midfield.

basically made Parish, McGrath & Merrett the go to trio. All 3 have pace and skill and then complimented them with Langford, Tippa, Stringer, Smith all of whom offer something unique when they go in. I think Caldwell helps this as he can play outside although a shocking kick for goal.

Kinda ironic for Shiel who I’ve always felt was crazy overrated, he was forced out of the giants midfield by Hopper & Taranto and the same thing may happen at the dons. But Parish is interesting as he really didn’t live up to his draft number for ages and it seems it all comes back to never getting to play his natural position.

Really like what the dons have done this year with there midfield.

basically made Parish, McGrath & Merrett the go to trio. All 3 have pace and skill and then complimented them with Langford, Tippa, Stringer, Smith all of whom offer something unique when they go in. I think Caldwell helps this as he can play outside although a shocking kick for goal.

Kinda ironic for Shiel who I’ve always felt was crazy overrated, he was forced out of the giants midfield by Hopper & Taranto and the same thing may happen at the dons. But Parish is interesting as he really didn’t live up to his draft number for ages and it seems it all comes back to never getting to play his natural position.
all very true.
Will be interesting in 2022 when Shiel is back and firing, can we find a complimentary role for him that doesn't impact the core we're building with Merrett, Parish and McGrath.
We lack midfield depth, so he'll be a welcome addition. As will Caldwell.

Merrett is a far more damaging player, best kick on the run/under pressure in the team hence why he was tagged all day even when Parish went off the leash. Parish has been huge this year though, even go as far to say he'd definitely be looking at the AA 40 at this point.

I reckon he would be in the AA squad at this point, but very hard to make the team as a midfielder.

I reckon he would be in the AA squad at this point, but very hard to make the team as a midfielder.
Definitely still lacking that ability kick goals consistently in games (that'll hopefully come though) but as a pure midfielder, he's up there as one of the best in the comp right now.

Last edited:

3rd in the comp for clearances, 10th in contested possessions. He'd be in the mix at this point in time.

Is having a purple patch no doubt

OOC at the end of the year so he picked a great time to hit form. He will looking at a nice big pay day

It's more than a purple patch, he will always get the ball if he plays in the middle, he's a ball magnet, the only way he stops getting the ball is from a tag.

I suppose the thing that can fluctuate is the damage with ball in hand at the moment he's really helping us move the ball from congestion.

It's more than a purple patch, he will always get the ball if he plays in the middle, he's a ball magnet, the only way he stops getting the ball is from a tag.

I suppose the thing that can fluctuate is the damage with ball in hand at the moment he's really helping us move the ball from congestion.
If he gets tagged, that means Merrett gets off the leash. Starting to build a pretty damaging midfield if his form can stick more consistently. Just need a big body in there, for McGrath to kick better and Shiel & Caldwell to stay fit & healthy.

Merrett also getting attention, I understand it but Parish is killing it, can't be ignored he going to get beefy contract extension Bombers can't afford to lose this guy.
Absolutely. If Parish was getting dumped after he disposes of the ball a couple of times a game, being focussed on, roughed up, the odds are he'd be playing a little worse than he currently is. As good as Parish is currently playing, teams are rightfully still focussing on Merrett.
I don't see him leaving he'll get a nice juicy fat contract from us

Parish,Merrett,McGrath

Not sure where it leaves Shiel maybe on the wing just outside the centre square. he won't have to play as a inside mid which is not his go when he gets back he can use his pace and skills in traffic to cut teams
Ironically, between the hamstring and what Parish has done, it might start looking like we overpaid for Caldwell. One second should have done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back