No Opposition Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

Chase13

Draftee
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let me try and completely dumb it down for you

We gave Carlton 3 picks to get Gibbs and two picks.

We received 2 picks from Melbourne, but gave them 2 picks along with Lever.

Even on a completely basic level it suggests that by giving up 3 picks we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

Then when you weigh in the actual draft picks in terms of their relative values that measure also suggests that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

It doesn't matter how much spin doctoring you try and apply to the relative trades, every conceivable measure suggests that we paid more for Gibbs.
Yes not that hard to work out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let me try and completely dumb it down for you

We gave Carlton 3 picks to get Gibbs and two picks.

We received 2 picks from Melbourne, but gave them 2 picks along with Lever.

Even on a completely basic level it suggests that by giving up 3 picks we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

Then when you weigh in the actual draft picks in terms of their relative values that measure also suggests that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

It doesn't matter how much spin doctoring you try and apply to the relative trades, every conceivable measure suggests that we paid more for Gibbs.
WTF....it depends what picks are given and which draft (which is the point I was making), hence I've always said you needed to look at the trade more closely. I thought my explanation was simple for you to understand, clearly not.

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
WTF....it depends what picks are given and which draft (which is the point I was making), hence I've always said you needed to look at the trade more closely. I thought my explanation was simple for you to understand, clearly not.
Even weighting them through their respective point value via the draft point calculator SAYS THE SAME THING !!!!!

The whole crux of your argument is based around you placing your own mythical weighting on the draft picks to in effort to try and make them better than they actually are in order to suit your argument.

It's no different to when Carlton supporters were trying to claim that Pick 19 was the equivalent of Pick 6 to them, it's sheer nonsense.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even weighting them through their respective point value via the draft point calculator SAYS THE SAME THING !!!!!

The whole crux of your argument is based around you placing your own mythical weighting on the draft picks to in effort to try and make them better than they actually are in order to suit your argument.

It's no different to when Carlton supporters were trying to claim that Pick 19 was the equivalent of Pick 6 to them, it's sheer nonsense.
Like I said, the draft point system is convoluted as s**t, how is pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder (points difference between the pick swaps) consider "worth" pick 5 is beyond me and totally nuts, that's why I've always saw pick 10 as separate and not add them to the point system in total (like you did). You need to look at the trade more closely is the point I have always made.

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Like I said, the draft point system is convoluted as s**t, how is pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder (points difference between the pick swaps) consider "worth" pick 5 is beyond me and totally nuts, that's why I've always saw pick 10 as separate and not add them to the point system in total (like you did). You need to look at the trade more closely.
It's because our 2nd round pick swaps essentially cancel each other out.

(10+16) - (the difference between our 2nd round pick swap) and the 3rd round pick from Carlton.

The reason why we paid more Gibbs than we recevied for Lever was because Melbourne only paid 2 first round picks for Lever and received a 2nd and 3rd round pick in return while we gave up 2 first round picks as well a 2nd round pick to get a 2nd and a 3rd back with Gibbs.

The 2nd round pick we gave to Carlton is the massive point of difference between the two trades.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's because our 2nd round pick swaps essentially cancel each other out.

(10+16) - (the difference between our 2nd round pick swap) and the 3rd round pick from Carlton.

The reason why we paid more Gibbs than we recevied for Lever was because Melbourne only paid 2 first round picks for Lever and received a 2nd and 3rd round pick in return while we gave up 2 first round picks as well a 2nd round pick to get a 2nd and a 3rd back with Gibbs.

The 2nd round pick we gave to Carlton is the massive point of difference between the two trades.
No, our 2rd rounder cancel out their 3rd rounder given it's was only 12 pick difference from 28 (which is equivalent to an early 3rd rounder) which is why I always consider this difference as neither here or there (similarly the pick 35 we gave them for the Lever trade), it's pick 16 which cancel out pick 21 as this is 5 pick difference and is much closer to late 1st rounder we gave them (especially if you take into account the difference in the draft quality) and the closer you are to the pick 1 the more weighting it has, hence why I said the draft point weight is totally s**t.

Last edited:

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No, our 2rd rounder cancel out their 3rd rounder given it's was only 12 pick difference from 28 (which is equivalent to an early 3rd rounder) which is why I always consider this difference as neither here or there (similarly the pick 35 we gave them for the Lever trade), it's pick 16 which cancel out pick 21 as this is 5 pick difference and is much closer to late 1st rounder we gave them (especially if you take into account the difference in the draft quality) and the closer you are to the pick 1 the more weighting it has, hence why I said the draft point weight is totally s**t.
So let's get this straight, a 9 pick difference between two 2nd rounder picks (according to your fuzzy logic) do not cancel each other out, but a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick that are 12 picks apart do ?

That's text book cognitive dissonance.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So let's get this straight, a 9 pick difference between two 2nd rounder picks (according to your fuzzy logic) do not cancel each other out, but a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick that are 12 picks apart do ?

That's text book cognitive dissonance.
Like I said, the further it's away from a 1st rounder it does as that was a mid 2nd rounder and early 3rd rounder you are comparing which ends up being meh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can you come clean, do you honestly believe this stuff or are you trolling?
I did this analysis for a long time and even started a debate on the Carlton thread and I got my thread closed, but I got my point across before it got closed as most didn't even know we got their 3rd rounder but after explaining to them they needed to look at the trade more closely (and take into consideration the strength of the draft) there were no more debate with me....most agree in the end and that they would have prefer pick 21 in 2018 compared to pick 16 in 2017 (which put that early 3rd rounder difference to maybe mid 4th rounder), I can't see now difficult it is for you 2 to see my excellent analysis, it's simple logic and football knowledge.

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Take it to the bank, very reliable sauce.
so you are telling us all (including the carlton posters that frequent this board) that had they not done the trade with us last year, Coniglio would have been a blue next season. So they have Stocker and pick 8 and no Coniglio. But I thought that they all told us that it didn't matter what pick they got from us as it would be traded for a big fish anyway...well pick 8 for Josh Jenkins sounds about the mark for them now

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did this analysis for a long time and even started a debate on the Carlton thread and I got my thread closed, but I got my point across before it got closed as most didn't even know we got their 3rd rounder but after explaining to them they needed to look at the trade more closely (and take into consideration the strength of the draft) there were no more debate with me....most agree in the end and that they would have prefer pick 21 in 2018 compared to pick 16 in 2017 (which put that early 3rd rounder difference to maybe mid 4th rounder), I can't see now difficult it is for you 2 to see my excellent analysis, it's simple logic and football knowledge.
Ok when someone refers to their own analysis as excellent it’s clear your trolling. Well done mate, you had me, I just thought you were clueless. I’ll leave you to your fun

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
so you are telling us all (including the carlton posters that frequent this board) that had they not done the trade with us last year, Coniglio would have been a blue next season. So they have Stocker and pick 8 and no Coniglio. But I thought that they all told us that it didn't matter what pick they got from us as it would be traded for a big fish anyway...well pick 8 for Josh Jenkins sounds about the mark for them now

Yep, that's why they waited till the end of season, to know our finishing position, obviously a first round compo pick would be after GWS first pick which would be in 12-18 range.

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have it on good authority that GWS would not have upped their contract offer to Coniglio if Carlton still held pick 3.

They were not happy with pick 8 so they increased his contract considerably to keep him a Giant.
It makes sense. Pick 8 is just going to swallowed up matching an academy bid. Pick 3 likely won’t be.

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
well it's too late to help our blue friends now, but if they had asked I would have been happy to give them pick 3 in return for pick 8, Cripps, Curnow and McKay - just to help them get Coniglio - you know to be nice and all

Top Bottom