Review Dees v Freo: the Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw is the cover.
Be very interesting to see what they do with him when Salem and Hibberd are available.
Im sure hell play over Hibberd in defense, if Jordon or Langdon miss any games though he will get moved back to the wing.
I wonder, If Tracca can't play in the centre, IF possibly Brayshaw will go into the guts, next week. This puts pressure on Langdon to come back quickly. Next weekend he will have had 2 weeks of mending.

May and Langdon are enormous losses structurally, but don't underestimate the importance of Harmes either.

A fit May, and Langdon, Harmes, Salem and McDonald in for Melkshambles, Hunt/Rivers, Bedford/Sparrow and Weideman makes us a monumentally better side.

Going to need to pray that Lingers gets up next week, our ball movement was completely gross without him.

Its funny I have a different take from being at the ground

Normally when a team gets a run on against us we shut the game down. Slow ball movement, conservative football and control possession for a few minutes. Wait a while and then launch again

However the opposite seemed to happen. When Freo got control, we tried to go through the corridor and instead of going slow and wide, we would try to bring the ball inside and fastly. Quick taps (Jackson especially) back into the middle rather than wide.

It was almost as if they tried to replicate the last quarter and a half against the Bulldogs in the GF and is backfired spectacularly

A good wake up call imo

But credit, where credit is due Freo were immense in that second half

May and Langdon are enormous losses structurally, but don't underestimate the importance of Harmes either.

A fit May, and Langdon, Harmes, Salem and McDonald in for Melkshambles, Hunt/Rivers, Bedford/Sparrow and Weideman makes us a monumentally better side.

Going to need to pray that Lingers gets up next week, our ball movement was completely gross without him.
Langdon loss was big, very big

Freo played some slick footy and were well coached. Good strategy and game day coaching took away some of our weapons and Freo were hungry for the win. This was aided by no May, no Langdon and Petracca clearly not himself and a worldie marking day (134 to 70). Can only hope we’re closer to full strength in Sept.

Silver linings:
  • Under manned and stars were down
  • #Learnings to be had, probably learn more than Freo do given that wasn’t our best and got a clear look at their strategies for next time and can prepare. Freo get a big boost in belief though, we got similar last year.
  • Didn’t see a lot of hunger to get back into it in the 4th. Reality is, wasn’t as much at stake for us and we were being well beaten.
  • No May and replaced by a mid. No TMac to swing back. Injuries happen of course.
  • Bedford showed a bit first half.
Bad:
  • Felt like we hacked the footy, especially first possession out of stoppage in the first half. It wasn’t as effective as our territory kicking has been. I think Trac is better at it than Oliver at it. Made it too easy for Freo defence.
  • Didn’t see a lot of the slick chain handball up the wing that we use when we are at our best. Missed Langdon’s run and defensive cover.
  • Trac was no where. Work rate just wasn’t there at all. Crook or something? Hard to explain. Body language was dejected most of the day too. I thought we’d get on top of a younger Freo midfield but Trac was an empty uniform today.
  • Weid keeps disappointing unfortunately. Not his fault we lost but just doesn’t win or split enough contests which our game plan requires.

Ugly:
- Out marked by Freo 134 to 70

Last edited:
Had a wedding today so missed the game. After the 2018 prelim that makes me two for two on missing out on horrible Melbourne losses due to weddings.

Going to pretend this game didn't happen.

A real wake up call we needed to have.

May and Langdon are more important to the team than we realise.

Forward 50 entry has been crap for weeks, in conjunction with no good leading. Fritsch was good today but Weid and Brown were invisible.

Trac is a shadow of his former self. No idea why but never to be addressed as asap.

Backline holding this team together massively. With May out, Riv pox for most of the year, Lever crap, big ask for Bowey, Hunt, Petty to do it all as good as they have been.

Oliver, Brayshaw, and Gawn are the shining lights this year but can only do so much. Kozzie in good form too.

No idea what we do moving forward but have faith in Goody to pull the right levers. Plenty of talent in the reserves, maybe it's time to pull the trigger and put some people on notice.

Kinda feel like everyone who wrote Freo off after 2 bad games deserved this. Youd think you would learn from us last year but here we are. Im kinda glad the streak, boweys streak and all that crap is over. This part of the year doesnt matter its qualifying for top 2 and going from there

The crap players were crap but I think saying Brown not competing cost us is rubbish, he did * all and we were 5 goals up. The only real thing that killed us was Centre clearances, we just let them walk it out of the middle which penned us into the back half and we had no ability like 00Stinger said to control momentum we turned back into red mist 2018 melbourne trying to beat freos run by running even more.

Back 6 was really bad but thats off the back of the rubbish effort from the mids. Trac missed another 4 shots on goal and was invisible, Oliver got shut down by Aish (lol) and Jackson and Gawn were poor in the clearance work

Freos back 6 is awesome and they are absolutely a top 4 side. We will see them again in september.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez Tmac out really hurt in the end, meant we had just Weed and BBB lumbering around doing nothing then no replacement for May when he went down. * he's actually quite important when he's playing alright which he has been of late (2,2,3,4 goals last 4) and he's still good up back.

I never want to have to watch Weideman again he is so ******* bad surely Van Rooyen has passed him now. Just doesn't even try bring it to ground. BBB can be invisible but at least he doesn't just let his opponent take uncontested intercepts

Brothers, sorry about that. I was travelling down to the Corio Bay Roadhouse and its infamous Bain-Marie of Death when I was mugged by Bandwagoner 2010 who stole my alias for a few hours. When I woke up, I was at the Lucky Hand Executive Stress Release Centre on Stud Road (yes, such a place does exist)

After recovering my poise, I went to the game. Thoughts:

Trac was sick and was not himself. He looked buggered.
We should have nailed those three goals in the second half of Q2
How we miss Langers
How we miss Harmes who does not give-a-s**t
How we missed T-MAC and his versatility
When Hunt plays on Lobb, sound the siren.
I love BBB but that must surely be his worst game ever.
I love Jackson but that must surely be his worst game ever.
Lever - please keep things real when the ball is in your hands.
Bedford has to stay in the side. Otherwise he will be poached at the end of the year.
Great game from Pickett who never stopped trying.
Freo are an incredibly well-drilled side. No wonder they put Carlton to the sword too. It is going to take some imagination to beat them in September

I also would not recommend the Death-Lovers All-Meat Pizza from the Corio Bay Roadhouse, When washed down with BIg M Egg Flip, it is more of a Bonfire of the Vanities than anything we saw yesterday

Had a wedding today so missed the game. After the 2018 prelim that makes me two for two on missing out on horrible Melbourne losses due to weddings.

Going to pretend this game didn't happen.
The streak lives!

Brothers, sorry about that. I was travelling down to the Corio Bay Roadhouse and its infamous Bain-Marie of Death when I was mugged by Bandwagoner 2010 who stole my alias for a few hours. When I woke up, I was at the Lucky Hand Executive Stress Release Centre on Stud Road (yes, such a place does exist)

After recovering my poise, I went to the game. Thoughts:

Trac was sick and was not himself. He looked buggered.
We should have nailed those three goals in the second half of Q2
How we miss Langers
How we miss Harmes who does not give-a-s**t
How we missed T-MAC and his versatility
When Hunt plays on Lobb, sound the siren.
I love BBB but that must surely be his worst game ever.
I love Jackson but that must surely be his worst game ever.
Lever - please keep things real when the ball is in your hands.
Bedford has to stay in the side. Otherwise he will be poached at the end of the year.
Great game from Pickett who never stopped trying.
Freo are an incredibly well-drilled side. No wonder they put Carlton to the sword too. It is going to take some imagination to beat them in September

I also would not recommend the Death-Lovers All-Meat Pizza from the Corio Bay Roadhouse, When washed down with BIg M Egg Flip, it is more of a Bonfire of the Vanities than anything we saw yesterday
That's alright, mate - maybe we just start a new thread and start again.

Gobsmacked to hear from Goodwin that Petracca woke up crook in the morning but yet still chose to play. Not sure if that comes down to Petracca being completely selfish and not putting the team first or Goody just begging him to solider on because he was absolutely non existent. We were literally playing with 20 blokes with May going down and Trac being crook as a dog and having zero impact. Bailey Laurie was an emergency and I personally would have selected him being the fit player and told Trac to stay home.

Im going to sound extremely hard here but * it. If Luke Jackson wants to leave then I'll pack his bags for him. He been absolutely crap since the Gold Coast game and yesterday was one of his worst games he's had at AFL level. I have no idea why this blokes first instinct is to always handball at all cost. At one stage in the 3rd quarter he won the ball in the centre and had space in front of him to burst away and kick it down to our forwards. Instead he looks back and handballs back into congestion which results in a Freo turnover and goal. He's not a very good tap ruckman in general nor is he a good mark. At one stage he got easily push aside in the ruck contest by David Mundy. Didn't look great.

Trent Rivers is an absolute liability down back. His awareness and hesitation is costing us goals and he needs to have a spell at Casey. The moment Christian Salem is fit and ready to go he's out.

The coaching staff and players were slow to react to Freo's chip around and uncontested marking.

I was waiting for us to at least show that we were minimising their chip style by going a bit defensive but it never came. I get we have to play to our style also but they were doing this with such ease and little defensive pressure that they waltzed from one end to the other like it was a stroll in the park.

Taking nothing away from freo, they were terrific. And this isn't "excuse" but I'm going to bet it had some impact on the performance.

But the club had a bout of gastro go through over last few days. Quite a few blokes had the shits. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to Casey today.

Taking nothing away from freo, they were terrific. And this isn't "excuse" but I'm going to bet it had some impact on the performance.

But the club had a bout of gastro go through over last few days. Quite a few blokes had the shits. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to Casey today.

Dont start this crap, Chris Scott said that about Geelong and couldnt have been smashed more.

Petracca should never play 'sick' again. Cant handle it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back