Certified Legendary Thread Discussion arising from Shhhhhh

Remove this Banner Ad

He came to train again with us earlier this year. Though I do believe there is also one more Leinster/mullingar prospect we looked at, so tba until it’s done.

for anyone who cares- Fionn is 6’3 and plays the fly half position.
What position would he play in footy?

What’s “fly half” in footy speak? Flanker? Play-maker/midfielder?

Any insight you can give Roddy, about the way he moves or plays etc.?

I stand to be corrected, but i believe its the more skilled position. As in he would do a decent amount of kicking during the game. So i think that would hold him in good stead to refine his kicking quickly to fit into our game.

Fly Half (or 1st 5/8), stands one out from the half back (who stands directly behind the scrum/line-out to receive the ball from set forward scrimmages such as scrums and line-outs), and is generally considered one of the playmakeers. More often than not, the Fly Half is the player who is responsible for the initial kick/run decision, and is one of the key positions who do a lot of kicking.

Famous Fly Half's (Halves?) include Beuden Barrett, Daniel Carter, Grant Fox, Andrew Mehrtens (can you tell I'm a kiwi?), Mark Ella, Michael Lynagh, Cliff Morgan, etc.

You definitely need to be good with your feet, run like the wind and be able to tackle. Together with the Half Back (Scrum Half) Full Back, Centre No.8 and Flanker, they are probably the positions you'd most likely see cross over from Rugby Union to AFL.

Fly halves are similar to a 5/8 in rugby league if anyone knows that position through watching the storm. They’re attacking players who also direct play, usually one of the first users of the ball in an attacking run. They are usually partly or equally responsible for the kicking game of the side also. They can generally defend better than the scrum halves/halfbacks - and at least in rugby league the 5/8 can generally slot into the back row of the scrum and play as a ball running forward. Versatile attacking players - quite often players who played both codes have gone on to play 5/8 at NRL level (Laurie Daley and Trent Barrett as examples).

Without seeing the kid play I’d say inside midfielder is the likely position they’d play depending on the transferable skills.

Fly Half is one of the main play makers. Half Back which comes flying in to receive from the scrum half. Flying Half Back shortened down the Fly Half.
Integral play maker deciding to kick, pass or run. Ball comes out of the scrum and goes to the Scrum Half whom then usually passes to the next one in line being the fly half. Would be a good decision maker with good all round skills. At 6 ft 3 would be a very big Fly Half, usually smaller speedy types.
So from that I would guess coming off the back line going forwards would be best position or midfielder (Conor Nash seems to have found his feet there).

Fly halves are similar to a 5/8 in rugby league if anyone knows that position through watching the storm. They’re attacking players who also direct play, usually one of the first users of the ball in an attacking run. They are usually partly or equally responsible for the kicking game of the side also. They can generally defend better than the scrum halves/halfbacks - and at least in rugby league the 5/8 can generally slot into the back row of the scrum and play as a ball running forward. Versatile attacking players - quite often players who played both codes have gone on to play 5/8 at NRL level (Laurie Daley and Trent Barrett as examples).

Without seeing the kid play I’d say inside midfielder is the likely position they’d play depending on the transferable skills.
The union fly half(also called 1st 5 or 5/8) is the equivalent of the league scrum half/ half back.

They're both the first receiver getting the ball passed to them from the play the ball in league or base of the ruck in union.

League 5/8 is inside centre in union.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The union fly half(also called 1st 5 or 5/8) is the equivalent of the league scrum half/ half back.

They're both the first receiver getting the ball passed to them from the play the ball in league or base of the ruck in union.

League 5/8 is inside centre in union.

Incorrect. It’s never a pure crossover of roles from union to league as the sports are different but scrum halves are effectively halfbacks and fly halves are effectively five eights.

Scrum half is the equivalent of the rugby league halfback. They feed the scrums and then hand off to the fly half much like the halfback will feed the scrum and hand off to the five eighth. In terms of size halfbacks are diminutive comparatively to five eighths. A rugby league 5/8 can generally slot into the back row if need be.

Inside centre equivalent in rugby league is, funnily enough, inside centre.

As it stands if he’s 190cm there’s not a chance in hell he’d be playing halfback in rugby league.

Incorrect. It’s never a pure crossover of roles from union to league as the sports are different but scrum halves are effectively halfbacks and fly halves are effectively five eights.

Scrum half is the equivalent of the rugby league halfback. They feed the scrums and then hand off to the fly half much like the halfback will feed the scrum and hand off to the five eighth. In terms of size halfbacks are diminutive comparatively to five eighths. A rugby league 5/8 can generally slot into the back row if need be.

As it stands if he’s 190cm there’s not a chance in hell he’d be playing halfback in rugby league.
It isn’t that clear cut though. Half backs tend to do the kicking and are first receiver from dummy half. They are half scrum half and half fly half 🤪

but yeah, tend to be smaller players than a 5/8 and less likely to run the ball into the line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn’t that clear cut though. Half backs tend to do the kicking and are first receiver from dummy half. They are half scrum half and half fly half 🤪

but yeah, tend to be smaller players than a 5/8 and less likely to run the ball into the line

You’re right, definitely not clear cut as union and league differ vastly at times - was just trying to draw parallels for the Aussie Rules purists and felt the Storm would likely be a better comparison point as league is far more present than union down here on account of the Storm’s success and people’s passing interest in origin when it’s on.

Purely on a size and skill basis I would compare a flyhalf to a 5/8 though despite them likely to have a more hybrid role in union.

You're right it's not a direct crossover and when Brishawk describes the league halfback role as hybrid he's probably on the money but he's more union fly half than half back.

The named roles in league are one step further out from the play the ball than the union ones are from the ruck. And the play the ball/ ruck is the basis of most of the game.

In league the role of dummy half is usually carried out by the hooker, in union the hooker is going to be in that ruck.

So the league half back is the first receiver and I think there's no doubt is the primary play maker, the general. If you disagree with that then we're just seeing things differently.

The 5/8 or stand off as he's called in England is the secondary play maker but also needs to be able to make breaks himself.

If you remember when Andrew Johns was half back for the kangaroos and Freddy Fittler was outside him at 5/8, Johns was the general of that side. If he'd played in an era of French union clubs with massive war chests and no salary cap coming in for him, like they did for SBW, then there's no way they're putting a 9 on his back and limiting him to feeding the fly half. They'd put a 10 on his back, play him at fly half and expect him to run the show like Dan Carter.

There's, for obvious reasons, very little cross over between league and union for players in those positions.

But in the late 90s early 2000s Henry Paul played league for NZ and in England, he was primary played as 5/8 he got head hunted by the England union side, they didn't head hunt him to play at fly half ahead of Jonny Wilkinson, they played him at inside centre, or 2nd 5/8 as NZers call it, as a secondary play maker, just as had been his role in league.

Also I think you're placing importance on the height of this bloke we're looking at, just because he's 190 that no way reflects the need for the union fly half to be big, in the way that you want a league 5/8 to have some size.

The England fly half for last few years is 1.75 and the bloke they've just replaced him with is also 1.75. Dan Carter the greatest fly half ever is 1.78 and Andrew Johns is 1.79.

Anyway I don't wish to hijack the thread, we can agree to disagree but your simple rebuttal of my post as "incorrect" required a response.

with that name, i'd love for it to be

Perhaps with the delisting of Pepper, it could be both Mullin and O'hara?
Only one Irish player allowed at one time on the Cat B list...an agreement with the GAA

Only one Irish player allowed at one time on the Cat B list...an agreement with the GAA

They get very grumpy when we target their promising youngsters. Perhaps if they transitioned to a more professional league it wouldn't be a problem.

Could be Oisin Mullin?
Not found
Oisin Mullin is a sensational talent. I’ve watched him play since he was a kid.
really hope he doesn’t leave Mayo for the AFL but wouldn’t blame him if he does try professional sport. Will probably win his second young player of the year award (best u21 player in GAA) in a row this year in a few weeks time.
There’s a lot of rumours that Geelong have a contract offer on the table for him. He’s 21 now so if he’s gonna try AFL this will be the year id say.

Oisin Mullin is a sensational talent. I’ve watched him play since he was a kid.
really hope he doesn’t leave Mayo for the AFL but wouldn’t blame him if he does try professional sport. Will probably win his second young player of the year award (best u21 player in GAA) in a row this year in a few weeks time.
There’s a lot of rumours that Geelong have a contract offer on the table for him. He’s 21 now so if he’s gonna try AFL this will be the year id say.

tell him Geelong is Australia’s kerry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back