List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this board is tending to overrate Fog but it's just my opinion

Promising yes , could be the best player but has a lot of weakness with his running to work on

He does have work to do on his fitness base, but its his goal kicking and some of his marking. It is elite. What he has got you can't learn by doing 5 pre-seasons. You have it or you dont. I think his fitness base looks so far off he is still a couple of years away unfortunately, but dont forget that was how long Doedee took to come into AFL football. I reckon in 2020/2021, Fog will be one of the best KPFs in the AFL. I just think he is so far ahead of the curve of other KPFs that I have seen play AFL at his age. I dont even know if I remember watching the any great KPFs play at 18. I am sure I have, but I didnt watch any with the same keen eye as I have been watching Fogarty. The other thing is, he has the appetite for the contested footy. No 30 year old defender who has made a career out of being the biggest prick on the ground is going to think he is going to have it all his way with Darcy.

If Darcy Fogarty ends up somewhere between Tex walker before his injury and Tex walker after his injury, then I think he will be the number 1 player from his draft year. I am hoping he will reach the levels that Tex walker was going to reach before his knee. Unless Cerra or Stephenson go on to be Fyfe/Dusty level, then I believe Fog will have them covered.

To your comment that the board is overrating him. My question is how can we possibly rate him at all. He has played 8 AFL games before he was even ready to play. Like you said, his fitness is nowhere near it. So how can you possibly judge him when he shouldn't really have been playing in the first place.

I wonder how much Hamish gets to watch/evaluate/interview SA potentials since he's based in Vic, I gather? Does someone else do most of the SA scouting and they all get together to compare notes? Hamish has a good record with Vic draftees so far but if he doesn't get to scrutinise the SA players as much as Vic players - especially this year ... it's a worry.

Case in point is Hayward v Gooch. Hindsight tells us has done more earlier ... did our scouts not recognise Hayward's potential? Did they look close enough?
Hayward only really announced himself very late in the piece with his big hauls of goals late in the season and showing promise in the All Stars game, only late where he entered 1st round discussions. You forget they track these kids from very early on and even the matches they don't attend they get vision from most games to pore over together during the season and again in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Would we have got any of them anyway? I mean we had Vince, Wright and Davis. We definitely ****** up with Burgoyne, we traded Bode for the pick he was taken. Bode is from SA so should be no complaints from Marty.

I think you go down that list and the best SA players would not have been the first SA players taken after a pick that we picked up a non SA player. For example, Fantasia's year. If we do that draft again and take the first SA player we would have Sean Lemmens instead of Matt Crouch and we took Riley Knight with our next pick anyway. We miss Fantasia either way. in 2011, Wingard was taken before our pick, we might have taken Alex Forster instead of Sam Kerridge which was a bust either way and we took SA players with our next two picks in Mitch Grigg and Nick Joyce.

If you were to go through our list like this for each non SA player and replace them with the next taken SA player instead. My god, we would literally have the worst AFL team in history. Conveniently taking Talyor Walker is never complained about by marty36.

I am all for taking SA players over non SA players all things being equal. But I think our current policy of recruitment is spot on. I dont see it as a bad thing that we had players as good as Danger, Lever, Cameron, Gov and Sloane where we lose them but can use this to go back into the draft. The policy got us to a semi-final and a grand final the last two years. Changing philosophy now is throwing the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion.
I'm glad you think our policy keeps us competitive you are a true AFC man aren't you

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how much Hamish gets to watch/evaluate/interview SA potentials since he's based in Vic, I gather? Does someone else do most of the SA scouting and they all get together to compare notes? Hamish has a good record with Vic draftees so far but if he doesn't get to scrutinise the SA players as much as Vic players - especially this year ... it's a worry.

Case in point is Hayward v Gooch. Hindsight tells us has done more earlier ... did our scouts not recognise Hayward's potential? Did they look close enough?

Yeah, but you cant just pick out one example. On the whole, Hamish has done exceptionally well. Early days said we made a mistake with Burton over Doedee too, but right now, its looking line ball if not in our favour. I think we have got the player we need out of the two. Regarding Hayward vs Gooch, its probably Witherdon that he missed more than Hayward.

Good question about Hamish and the SA boys. One would think that given how highly this talent pool is rated that he might have spent a bit more time here than usual and run the rule over at least the top half a dozen SA prospects. He would surely be at the Championships too. I am sure he has the SANFL tapes of those games he didnt go to.

I was actually suggesting if we had done things different we would be better than competitive not worse

But I am saying that if we had done things the way your suggesting we would be less competitive. There simply wasnt the SA talent at our picks and if we applied your policy to all of our picks over the past 6 or 7 years we would be a basket case.

But I am saying that if we had done things the way your suggesting we would be less competitive. There simply wasnt the SA talent at our picks and if we applied your policy to all of our picks over the past 6 or 7 years we would be a basket case.
I've clearly said you examine every case not go with every case

Beams is staying and that is a not a thin list at all
There's a lot of talk of Beams returning to Vic, and that is a shitty thin list of mids, for all the reasons I said.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Here is what’s gonna happen.

We will bust a gut to win as many games as possible.

Established players like Sloane will leave us.

Lukosius and Rankine will be gone by our picks.

We will overlook Hateley for some Vic Country guys no one has heard of.

Our guys will be a gun while Rankine and Hateley will be spuds.

Lukosius will be the next Pavlich - a star and play us off for $$$ every contract renewal but never come home.

Our guys will leave just as our next wave starts to look like they complete for a flag.

And the cycle will continue.
Almost right i recon, we lose Lynch McGovern and Sloane, have 5 pick inside 20 and then trade them for some average players that the club will say are awesome

I wish we look at sa players that r over looked in main draft. Most of our rookie should be from here. Laird is a great example.
What i do wonder is why we havent gome our full quota of rookies. We should take chances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit, Beams return to Victoria FFS, he' a a Brisbane boy, his family is in Qld, his brother Clay is on their list, you clearly haven't got a clue, Rayner is a midfielder in waiting only needing to build his tank to AFL standard, he's potentially the best of the lot, anyone that saw him play U18's here will tell you that. You also can't have watched the U18 Championships if you think Starcevic won't make it, the lads a bull and Allison has already had games in the midfield and at 195cm and still lightly built will take time. Cedric Cox another that has the talent to be very good outside mid with his silky skill set. Mathieson is excellent depth at worst with his proven ball winning ability.

Get ****ed, I'm IN Brisbane and there's been strong word that he may want to return following the death of his father.

Maybe it doesn't happen, but there's clear concerns.

You can be a complete arrogant * on these threads.

The idea that you look at their list, with maybe three great mids and think they WON'T be prioritising Walsh, who IS A BRISBANE SUPPORTER AND WANTS TO COME NORTH is absolutely ridiculous.

I wish we look at sa players that r over looked in main draft. Most of our rookie should be from here. Laird is a great example.
What i do wonder is why we havent gome our full quota of rookies. We should take chances

Generally speaking most of them are.

Get ******, I'm IN Brisbane and there's been strong word that he may want to return following the death of his father.

Maybe it doesn't happen, but there's clear concerns.

You can be a complete arrogant **** on these threads.

The idea that you look at their list, with maybe three great mids and think they WON'T be prioritising Walsh, who IS A BRISBANE SUPPORTER AND WANTS TO COME NORTH is absolutely ridiculous.

It was bullshit the first time you posted it and nothings changed...Whoopee you're in Brisbane...Where you hear it? On the street corner??

We have gone our full quota of rookies (given our senior list) - only have space on the Cat B rookies list (we don't know any more basketballers?)

It was bullshit the first time you posted it and nothings changed...Whoopee you're in Brisbane...Where you hear it? On the street corner??
Twice, from Brisbane corporate donors. Who probably aren't hearing directly from anyone, but are close to the club and feel it is real enough to be concerned by it.

Edit: There's even been media talking about it. Maybe it doesn't happen, but some people obvious feel it's a chance.
https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ne-dayne-beams-a-chance-to-return-to-victoria

Twice, from Brisbane corporate donors. Who probably aren't hearing directly from anyone, but are close to the club and feel it is real enough to be concerned by it.

Edit: There's even been media talking about it. Maybe it doesn't happen, but some people obvious feel it's a chance.
https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ne-dayne-beams-a-chance-to-return-to-victoria

A quick google search and its been written in plenty of places. Its as plausible as anything else on BF. Seems unfair to Brisbane who paid a high price to get him there. He was looked after on compassionate grounds. If it was reversed and he was at a Vic team can you imagine the calls saying he owes them.

Common sense says this was completely fabricated by Browne and if so it’s one of the nastiest pieces of s**t that’s ever been made up considering it stems from someone’s father passing away.

A quick google search and its been written in plenty of places. Its as plausible as anything else on BF. Seems unfair to Brisbane who paid a high price to get him there. He was looked after on compassionate grounds. If it was reversed and he was at a Vic team can you imagine the calls saying he owes them.

Common sense says this was completely fabricated by Browne and if so it’s one of the nastiest pieces of s**t that’s ever been made up considering it stems from someone’s father passing away.
Well, that's probably true.

It sounds like there's enough of a risk there that people hold some concerns, though I think it would be unlikely that he would look for more change in his life right now. Then again, I guess none of us would know.

I wonder how much Hamish gets to watch/evaluate/interview SA potentials since he's based in Vic, I gather? ......
Hayward is a gun in the making, does some seriously clever stuff, knows where the goals are, pace and endurance and takes a great mark. I wanted him in that draft and could not believe we passed him up at pick 15 for a Victorian! :-(

I wonder if there is a factor of the 'sunk cost fallacy' when recruiters make their choices.

You've invested a lot of time into someone over years and have good relationship with them. Then a kid you haven't put any resources into shows signs of being at least as good as them in their draft year, but they select the original kid because of the time and resources spent.

I wonder if there is a factor of the 'sunk cost fallacy' when recruiters make their choices.

You've invested a lot of time into someone over years and have good relationship with them. Then a kid you haven't put any resources into shows signs of being at least as good as them in their draft year, but they select the original kid because of the time and resources spent.
Sort of a go with what we've thoroughly researched rather than making a late change to a lesser researched draftee?

Unfortunately don't think Hayward is getting homesick, every time I see him play he's having the time of his life and playing for a seriously professional outfit :-(

I think this board is tending to overrate Fog but it's just my opinion

Promising yes , could be the best player but has a lot of weakness with his running to work on
Remember Fog really wasn’t expected to play much after last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back