List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we need to draft another youngster with elite speed and defensive pressure in spades, there was one running around in the TAC/U18 Championships last year that surprisingly went undrafted, now running around in the VFL for the Northern Blues.....Draft him this year or do a Lachie Murphy and bring him over to assess him in the SANFL....he's the best I've seen in this defined role in the TAC for years. His name Ethan Penrith.

Could just get Rankine?

Rankine having a dirty night like most of his mates at Norwood Oval. 4 touches, but 1 was a remarkable no look handball assist.

Appears to be working harder defensively.

On a good day Rankine offers about a quarter of the tackle and defensive pressure to that of Penrith. Maybe Rankine can develop that side of his game. Maybe.
Fair enough, but are we talking about a small forward here or something else?

I'd take Rankine and play him as a small forward even with his lower tackle count.

Someone with his speed, agility, aggression, and physicality will become a good tackler at AFL level.

He's probably never needed to focus on this side of his game because he's always been the one that needed to be tackled and stopped. In the AFL system you clearly can't get away with not tackling, so I'm confident he will build that.

I'd take Rankine and play him as a small forward even with his lower tackle count.

Someone with his speed, agility, aggression, and physicality will become a good tackler at AFL level.

He's probably never needed to focus on this side of his game because he's always been the one that needed to be tackled and stopped. In the AFL system you clearly can't get away with not tackling, so I'm confident he will build that.
This is true, but it's also the toughest thing to improve in a player. If you spend your junior years not doing it, but your position at AFL level demands it, then you will struggle.

IMO he will last until our pick purely based on this fact. Teams see the talent, but he lacks workrate which is absolutely essential as a small forward at the top level.

On a good day Rankine offers about a quarter of the tackle and defensive pressure to that of Penrith. Maybe Rankine can develop that side of his game. Maybe.
For me I feel if teams pick Rankine in the top 5 it’s because they think he can be an attacking midfielder. Someone who can break open the midfield congestion, rather than a pure goalsneak.

A pure small forward who loves a goal and has shown a limited appetite to defend I struggle to see going top 5. With practice, ability to execute can improve. Desire to do the sacraficial team things would be rare to see change greatly in a player.

Cyril and Daniel Rioli were both great with the ball as well as defensive team players and they went in the teens.

Still I suppose Gold Coast picked Ainsworth at 4 in 2016, and he is a 178 cm forward, so I guess anything is possible.

But most likely I think whomever drafts him early will have their sights on him being an attacking mid.

Rankine may slide the way Jack Higgins did last year... not to the extent though. He ripped it up last year and ended up a late teens pick

Seedsman hadn't had any full seasons , worse injury history than Brad
I didnt know that. I guess i just feel bcrouch is always on the side lines. Didnt know much about Seedsmans Collingwood days

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably because it isn't true.

Seedsman has played 84 games in 7 seasons = 12 games per season but rising with each game he plays this year.

Crouch has played 61 games in 6 seasons = 10.1 games per season.

And whilst Seedsman had injury issues at Collingwood as well, there were times where he just wasn't best 22. Crouch has always been best 22 since his first match, his games in the SANFL have just been trying to get him match fit again.

I think your mistake is judging youth players on their current output alone ......failing to see the developmental curve & opportunities of players .....this is the primary skill of recruiters & what separates them

This board would have killed their grandmother to get Toumpas, in his draft year .......was a star everyone said ....problem was people looked at his output as a 17yo, rather than his developmental potential & skills required for the faster, more pressurized AFL game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me I feel if teams pick Rankine in the top 5 it’s because they think he can be an attacking midfielder. Someone who can break open the midfield congestion, rather than a pure goalsneak.

A pure small forward who loves a goal and has shown a limited appetite to defend I struggle to see going top 5. With practice, ability to execute can improve. Desire to do the sacraficial team things would be rare to see change greatly in a player.

Cyril and Daniel Rioli were both great with the ball as well as defensive team players and they went in the teens.

Still I suppose Gold Coast picked Ainsworth at 4 in 2016, and he is a 178 cm forward, so I guess anything is possible.

But most likely I think whomever drafts him early will have their sights on him being an attacking mid.
Ainsworth already had a very defensive side as well as an attacking game, Also a very aggressive little bugga hence him receiving a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Nowhere near the tricks of Rankine but a more complete package when drafted than Rankine currently.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This is true, but it's also the toughest thing to improve in a player. If you spend your junior years not doing it, but your position at AFL level demands it, then you will struggle.

IMO he will last until our pick purely based on this fact. Teams see the talent, but he lacks workrate which is absolutely essential as a small forward at the top level.
Is hard, it's not impossible.

Given Rankines natural aggression, I feel it wont be as much of a stretch.

Let's take Milera for example, who isn't a naturally aggressive player. I'm not saying he's a great tackler and pressure player, but you'd have to say this has definitely improved over the last year.

I think it will be easier for Rankine than it has been for Milera.

Is hard, it's not impossible.

Given Rankines natural aggression, I feel it wont be as much of a stretch.

Let's take Milera for example, who isn't a naturally aggressive player. I'm not saying he's a great tackler and pressure player, but you'd have to say this has definitely improved over the last year.

I think it will be easier for Rankine than it has been for Milera.
Absolutely possible, but we've found a spot for Milera on the HBF where tackling isn't super necessary. Rankine probably wont be afforded the same opportunity.

What I'm saying is that dont be shocked if the kid slides down to our first pick...... if we don't go hunting for Lukosius.

Absolutely possible, but we've found a spot for Milera on the HBF where tackling isn't super necessary. Rankine probably wont be afforded the same opportunity.

What I'm saying is that dont be shocked if the kid slides down to our first pick...... if we don't go hunting for Lukosius.
I agree, and hoping he slides.

Just saying I would equally not be surprised if Rankine is able to add the tackling a d pressure play to his game, given his agreassion and explosive closing speed.

Although thats not the number 1 reason why I want him either. To borrow an NBA term, his gravity and resultant distribution as a young player is the best I've seen in a long time. This is possibly helped by his basketball background too.

Seeing a huge part of a small forwards role is defensive work, I wouldn't even consider playing him there as an option currently.

Odds are if we recruit Rankine, we're going to need to move him to half back/wing to get around the lack of defensive work.

Oh I can think of another wing/half back on our side who is currently staring at the abyss. Similar deal though, it's a play him there and try to drill in a passable defensive game at worst (something I would say Milera does currently possess).

Oh I can think of another wing/half back on our side who is currently staring at the abyss. Similar deal though, it's a play him there and try to drill in a passable defensive game at worst (something I would say Milera does currently possess).
Given Smith is still to slot back in, the spots will dry up.

Rankine is the Richard Tambling of this draft. He's ripped up the Champs, but people will be wary of a small forward who doesn't tackle. James Aish also fell a little after performing far better in senior footy than Rankine.

Given Smith is still to slot back in, the spots will dry up.

Rankine is the Richard Tambling of this draft. He's ripped up the Champs, but people will be wary of a small forward who doesn't tackle. James Aish also fell a little after performing far better in senior footy than Rankine.

Smith is an easily solved thing currently - Kelly goes out.

Rankine does have an amazing championship, but I do agree with the point you accidentally made (seeing the two players you picked landed at s**t clubs). He is going to need to land at a mid tier to strong club to have a good shot at a career.

It is worth noting, the champs are worth a lot more then senior footy.

Smith is an easily solved thing currently - Kelly goes out.

Rankine does have an amazing championship, but I do agree with the point you accidentally made (seeing the two players you picked landed at s**t clubs). He is going to need to land at a mid tier to strong club to have a good shot at a career.

It is worth noting, the champs are worth a lot more then senior footy.
It wasn't that I meant to compare the talent, Rankine has it above both, it's more the position they play in Tamblings case, and the hype around Aish and what he did at a younger age

Well Cameron's average last year was 1.37 inside 50 tackles per game. 35th in the AFL that year, the top 5-10 were around the 2.0 mark per game.

Betts averaged 1.88 inside 50 tackles per game, 8th in the league
I wonder if it’s not so much tackles but direct pressure on the ball carrier causing rushed disposal (remind you of the grand final, anyone ?!?) hence turnover..... bit like Cyril but in his own way, people panicked a bit when he or betts are near.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back