Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

No, don't you get precious

I was just stating the fact: that Daicos has yet to reach the same heights as those other champs

Maybe he will. Maybe he won't.

He is definitely one of the greatest "young guns" we've ever seen.
But how much scope there is for improvement is unknown.
Where have I projected where he's going to be in X years?

I've simply stated facts about what he has already delivered (in comparison to others, and in response to other posts).

Facts are important.

lol insecure Richmond fans getting worried about little Nick surpassing their idol 😅

Why? If Daicos were to win a Premiership and a North Smith he'll have exceeded expectations already. Not saying he can't do it but there's not many players that have.

What’s with the Cats/Pies alliance on BF it’s really weird.

Warning to Cats supporters, if Daicos becomes really good they’ll be coming after the abletts as well. Careful what you wish for, it’s like playing with fire. Pies are called the filth for a reason.

What’s with the Cats/Pies alliance on BF it’s really weird.

Warning to Cats supporters, if Daicos becomes really good they’ll be coming after the abletts as well. Careful what you wish for, it’s like playing with fire. Pies are called the filth for a reason.
It's called mutual respect - something Richmond supporters wouldn't know about.

I'm keen to see Daicos' second year against any of Martin's first 6 years...

So long as the stats include possessions from kick-ins and handball receives, I’d be interested to take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm keen to see Daicos' second year against any of Martin's first 6 years...

I’ve just had a glance at Martin’s second year (2011) versus Naicos - keeping in mind only one of them was playing in a top team. And only one of them gets 5+ kicks per game from kick outs.

Obviously playing different roles, but here is a comparison:

Martin v Naicos
Kicks: 14.1 v 17.4 (Martin actually leads if you take out kick outs) = Naicos
Handballs: 8 v 15.9 = Naicos
Goals: 1.5 v 0.9 = Martin
Goal assists: 0.9 v 0.6 = Martin
Tackles : 3.3 v 2.9 = Martin
I50’s : 4.2 v 3.9 = Martin
Contested : 8.8 v 8.4 = Martin
Uncontested: 13.2 v 20.6 = Naicos
Clangers: 2.7 v 3.1 = Naicos
Clearances: 3.7 v 2.8 = Martin
Contested marks : 0.6 v 0 = Martin
Rebound 50: 2.5 v 4.4 = Naicos
1%: 0.7 v 0.4 = Martin

Naicos is a great user of the ball and a great decision maker, so they give it to him at every opportunity in space which is a credit in itself. But I can’t find any ‘handball received’ stats?

Here's an interesting one - Dangerfield 2016 v Dusty 2017. Pretty emphatic win for Danger, although Dusty won the Clangers!!

Name​
Team​
Midfield​
Position​
Midfield, Forward​
Career Games​
282​
Geelong Falcons​
Origin​
Bendigo Pioneers​
April 5, 1990​
Date of Birth​
June 26, 1991​
Turned 26 in 2016​
Age​
Turned 26 in 2017​
189cm
Height​
187cm​
97kg
Weight​
92kg​
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #10​
Last Draft Position​
Round 1, Pick #3​
Last Drafted By​
2016​
Stats for Season​
2017​
24​
Games​
16.1​
Kicks​
Handballs​
10.6​
Disposals​
29.8​
Marks​
4.1​
1.0​
Goals​
1.0​
Behinds​
Tackles​
3.5​
Hitouts​
0​
Inside 50s​
6.0​
0.9​
Goal Assists​
Frees For​
1.5​
1.2​
Frees Against​
Contested Possessions​
14.5​
Uncontested Possessions​
14.4​
Effective Disposals​
19.3​
69.2%
Disposal Efficiency %​
64.8%​
3.8​
Clangers​
Contested Marks​
1.0​
0.8​
Marks Inside 50​
Clearances​
6.4​
Rebound 50s​
0.9​
One Percenters​
1.0​
0.8​
Bounces​
84.5​
Time On Ground %​
Centre Clearances​
3.4​
Stoppage Clearances​
3.0​
8.5​
Score Involvements​
Metres Gained​
482.9​
5.2​
Turnovers​
Intercepts​
3.1​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.6​
AFL Fantasy Score​
111.4​
Supercoach Score​

Did the respective seasons stop on August 31st did they…?? Bahahaha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might reassess the 6 year limit once the season ends, but am pretty confident even if Daicos doesn't win a Brownlow/AFLPA MVP/Coaches Award, he'll have any of Martin's first six seasons covered.

However, he's on track to have a better season than Martin has delivered in 13 of his 14 seasons.

Not bad for a kid in his second year in the big time...

Fadgelogic seems to have forgotten September … which is probably reasonable given his teams September fortunes. Going the early Crow before seeing what Naicos can produce in September is interesting.

So let’s wait and see if Naicos doesn’t get injured, isn’t part of an unloseable final (a Pie speciality), and plays really well in some winning finals and hopefully a flag.

I’m sure he will as the kid is obviously tracking to superstar status …. but there’s ‘tracking’ and then there is ‘already been’.

Let’s see what happens.

I didn't realise Cats fans were this unhinged.

You may wish to consider those unimportant games at the end of the season Sttew, think they are called FINALS. They sort of decide who wins the season each year. ;)

Stew makes the common mistake of rating the stats acquired during a 90-point win at the Cattery over an interstate bunny, as the stats acquired in a final …. those pesky things that decide who achieves the ultimate.

Martin’s 2017 is rated arguably the greatest ever as he got a record number of Brownlow votes including 11 x BOG’s … then 3 x BOG’s in 3 x finals to deliver a team that finished 13th the year prior and hadn’t won a final in 16-years a flag.

14 x BOG’s in 25 x games culminating in a flag.

In 2016 Danger got a lot of the ball in his 2 x finals … 74 possessions. With 1 x goal and 1 x goal assist, so 2 at an average of 1.

Martin’s 3 x finals culminated in 5 x goals and 8 x goal assist … 13 x goals and goal assists = average of 4.25.

So 2017 H&A season Martin elevated from 2.7 in H&A to 4.25 goals and goal assists in finals.

Dangers 2016 was 1.9 in H&A down to 1 in finals.

Maybe a new poll is required… rank the season including finals of Danger 2016 v Martin 2017.

Fadgelogic seems to have forgotten September … which is probably reasonable given his teams September fortunes. Going the early Crow before seeing what Naicos can produce in September is interesting.

So let’s wait and see if Naicos doesn’t get injured, isn’t part of an unloseable final (a Pie speciality), and plays really well in some winning finals and hopefully a flag.

I’m sure he will as the kid is obviously tracking to superstar status …. but there’s ‘tracking’ and then there is ‘already been’.

Let’s see what happens.
Oh. I didn't realise Martin had put in many epic performances in September in his first six seasons?

Let me check the record books...

Lol how is this thread actually open? Until last years finals, Dangerfield literally spudded every final he effectively played in running with a ball and hack kicking it to the opposition or out of bounds trying to be superman. I think the moment Martin's legacy was cemented was in the 2020 GF, where he broke a Dangerfield tackle and snapped a goal from the boundary to forever cement in peoples minds who the finals GOAT is.

Just because Dusty scored one more Brownlow vote does not mean his 2017 season was superior. I was amazed when I scanned the statistics and on virtually every metric in the table Danger's 2016 season (at age 26) was superior to Dusty's 2017 season (at age 26). You've hoodwinked us for close to 1500 posts telling us Dusty's 2017 season was the greatest ever, but clearly and unequivocally it wasn't. There's nothing to be ashamed about though
Clearly you are blinded by bias. There is zero ability to even slightly compare the two. You are so blinded it's really scary and sad.

Clearly you are blinded by bias. There is zero ability to even slightly compare the two. You are so blinded it's really scary and sad.
Forgive me for relying on stats. Your prolific posting ally has posted well over 1200 times relying on stats to “prove” how good Dusty is. I produce data that shows Dangerfield’s 2016 season stats (not just finals) were better than Dusty’s 2017 stats in virtually all key metrics. You choose to deride me instead of explaining the stats. That makes you a sad person.

I don’t for one moment think Dusty’s finals record is not superior

Just because Dusty scored one more Brownlow vote does not mean his 2017 season was superior. I was amazed when I scanned the statistics and on virtually every metric in the table Danger's 2016 season (at age 26) was superior to Dusty's 2017 season (at age 26). You've hoodwinked us for close to 1500 posts telling us Dusty's 2017 season was the greatest ever, but clearly and unequivocally it wasn't. There's nothing to be ashamed about though

It was 3 Brownlow votes actually. 36-33

And getting 33 was very impressive. GAJ got 30 and 28 in his wins to put it in perspective.

Dusty also had a record 11 BOGs. Literally half the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back