Eagles attempts at goal kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressure on the ball carrier is the issue. People saying "they had their chances" are pretty clueless, sure we missed a few easy shots. But so did the Dockers. What we do is generate a lot of half chances and it's no surprise they don't come off.

Geelong have 55 behinds in the past month, In only 2 games have we kicked more goal then behinds, against West Coast and Crows. We've been really poor....
That's actually pretty good, as it means you've kicked more goals than behinds about 50% of the time! Plus you've kicked more goals (and possibly conceded more) than us in that time, so kicking more behinds than us doesn't tell the full story. On the flip side, Eagles peaked in round 1- 21.8. Since then it's been 18.15, 12.11, 4.8, 7.14, 12.17 and 7.12, the last 3 against sides who had fewer scoring shots than us (and all were losses too). Has cost us 3 wins

Late-ish in the game, the Eagles only had 3 marks I50. I suspect the issue is a lack of decent set shot opportunities. Eagles generally tend to pepper the goals in play.

Late-ish in the game, the Eagles only had 3 marks I50. I suspect the issue is a lack of decent set shot opportunities. Eagles generally tend to pepper the goals in play.
Exactly.

Playing 3 ruckman probably doesn't help either.

Get the ball accurately and quickly to Kennedy, Darling and (when he's back) Le Cras inside 50 and you won't have bad accuracy.

Pump it in long to Nic Nat and Lycett and you wont get good opportunities for scoring.

That's actually pretty good, as it means you've kicked more goals than behinds about 50% of the time! Plus you've kicked more goals (and possibly conceded more) than us in that time, so kicking more behinds than us doesn't tell the full story. On the flip side, Eagles peaked in round 1- 21.8. Since then it's been 18.15, 12.11, 4.8, 7.14, 12.17 and 7.12, the last 3 against sides who had fewer scoring shots than us (and all were losses too). Has cost us 3 wins

Sorry, I should clarify, that out of 7 games this season we only have 2 where we have kicked more goals then behinds, round 1 against Crows at Home and round 5 against your mob, also at home. The rest have been more behinds than goals.

Either way we have both been bad, should fire our goal kicking coaches!:(

Sorry, I should clarify, that out of 7 games this season we only have 2 where we have kicked more goals then behinds, round 1 against Crows at Home and round 5 against your mob, also at home. The rest have been more behinds than goals.

Either way we have both been bad, should fire our goal kicking coaches!:(
Good thing is the (in)accuracy hasn't cost you wins yet, though today came close!!!

I think if you look at the accurancy across the competition it would be down from twenty years ago. A couple of things to note.

Firstly, in the early 90s forwards would stay in the forward line with many not having to leave their forward 50. The way the game is played these days, forwards need to be able to rotate through the 50, congest the back half and provide repeated defensive pressure. When they get a set shot they are stuffed and the time limit to kick has also been cut (thank you Lloyd).

Secondly; the amount of pressure on footballers these days is intense. Back in the 90s players had day jobs aswell as fooball and now everything they do is heavily scrutinised on and off the pitch. Look at Natanui, a bad month and it's all over the media and he gets the bronx jeers by his own 'supporters'.*

*Not having a go at Eagles supporters, Dockers supporters are guilty of the same thing.

Players in general can be such great kicks in general play, but then something changes mentally when they have a set shot at goal. I think there's a lot to be said for trying to kick it to someone on level 2 behind the goals
Harley Bennell is the perfect illustration. His field kicking is ridiculous, you put him 30m out directly in front - and he'd be lucky to score.

Harley Bennell is the perfect illustration. His field kicking is ridiculous, you put him 30m out directly in front - and he'd be lucky to score.

Much like Lindsay Thomas a couple of years ago and Travis Cloke who is also a good field kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back