Unsolved Easey St Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go .. unfortunately paywalled.

EXCLUSIVE: It can be revealed that a prime suspect into the infamous and unsolved Easey Street Murders is none other than the 'King of the Mountain' and one of Australia's most beloved sport stars, the now-deceased Peter Brock.
Pierce Field investigates the cover-up and corruption protecting one of Australia's most infamous wife-bashers and his alleged role in the brutal stabbing of his former lover and her best friend.

Brock's name has obviously been connected with the crime for some time but has there ever been any comment on his viability as a suspect that's not some clickbaity paywalled article?

"Prime suspect" is really sensationalising it. He's a suspect/POI/whatever you wanna call it. Brock's name seems to get thrown about a bit and that's not necessarily a bad thing if it keeps the story occasionally in the public eye. But Casefile is usually fairly well-researched and their episode never goes near Brock despite speculating on the involvement of several other names who were presumably also on the DNA testing list.

I take it Brock wasn't (or isn't) considered to be the prime suspect considering how little official information links him to Easey St?

Anyone with access to the article able to say which of the women Brock was supposedly involved with? A lot of the speculation seems to be that Armstrong may have been the primary target (considering she was in her bedroom and was raped post-mortem) and that Bartlett was caught up purely by being there. The argument for it being Brock in some form of jealous fit of rage makes sense if it was Armstrong but not so much if it was Bartlett

I agree not much to confirm the “headlines” I hope there is. Still a bit of speculation and not a new theory on his whereabouts on this...

Agree though a bit poor reporting from the media with anything concrete - seems like a no news week! And no one to stand up in his absence..

I’ve listened to the new podcast series. A few interesting bits, here’s a brain dump.

Completely rubbish police investigation (surprise surprise). Three witnesses were not spoken to by police:

- The big one is the elderly woman who lived next door (across the laneway). She got up during the night they were killed (around 2am I think) to get a glass of water. She than sat by her loungeroom window for around 15 mins and had a clear view into the girls house, where one of them was sitting in the kitchen with a “tall man”, sharing a drink and listening to music. This man has never been identified. He would almost certainly be the last to see the girls alive (or is the murderer). The neighbour was not interviewed by police. A year later she told her story to a Truth newspaper reporter, who the family think probably posed as a police officer to get the interview and a photo, which appeared on the front page. Following the publishing of it, the police finally interviewed her. It went nowhere.

- Another elderly neighbour who was in bed in her front room in the night when she heard a man walk past her window (presumably with somebody else) and say “the two teachers are dead”.

- A third neighbour, a young man who had just gone to bed in the early morning when he heard from the direction of the scene a front door slam, two car doors slam, and a car speed off. A mate of his was in bed in another room, and confirmed the next morning he had heard it too… it was very loud. The neighbour is still around and is interviewed on the podcast. He was finally interviewed by police… in 2022!

Much of what the police know or don’t know is simply unclear - it’s still an “active investigation” and police will not say much about anything.

The eight key suspects were all cleared by DNA. The DNA source is a patch of carpet that had semen on it. Though it of course cannot actually be confirmed if this belonged to the killer - it could have been another man.

It’s not known what condition the patch of carpet is now in, or whether further DNA samples can be taken from it. What is known is that at some stage in the past 46 years, the physical evidence from the scene was lost and remained so for 17 years. It was then located in a police storage facility.

The crime scene is a real concern. It was nearly three days before the bodies were discovered. In that time three other men briefly entered and left the house - two via the back door and one via a side window (he was cleared but it’s dodgy af - it’s barely possible he could take the route he says he did and not notice the bodies).

Insufficient crime scene photos were taken. Pathology reports weren’t very detailed. It’s still pretty much unknown where the killer entered or the sequence of events. One policeman used the bathroom sink to wash his hands (the killer had used the bathroom to clean himself). There was a deposit of blood in the bathroom that it is now thought could possibly be the killer’s - though no sample of it was taken.

Theories vary. Most agree the perpetrator of such an incredibly violent crime must have committed others. Possible he committed suicide. In terms of known violent offenders at the time, there’s only a few in Melbourne that fit the pattern.

Push now for a second coronial inquest. The first inquest returned the thoroughly fascinating conclusion that “the women were killed by stabbing by person/s unknown.”

Last edited:
interesting read

i really like john joseph power for this & like me in an earlier post here they speculate as to where he was this night(also tommy collins),he was not in jail

watching one of those podcasts it was stated that in the 1975 disappearance that 2 of grant power and collins went out for pizza leaving julie with 1 of them,when the 2 returned julie had"gone out",the 3 men waited a while then left,it was not stated which of the 3 stayed with her,id have a fortune on the fact that it was power,but its also stated that she didnt like collins

grant is the only one alive and seems hes not talking to fill in the blanks,but i really like that theory that power or collins possibly came to join grant and the 2 female neighbours that found the bodies,got side tracked next door and did the deed,like it said in that read,he certainly had the form
This one is available free for those with Kindle unlimited. I hope I don't regret reading it, there have been a few crime books I have read that I really wish I hadn't.

I gather the Podcast was from the guest on this Podcast which touched on this case.

Yes, Helen Thomas. Casefile presents the Easey Street Murders. They’re dropping weekly, or they’re all available immediately on the iHeart app if you download that. It’s a s**t app, but does the job.

I think she’s doing a similar series on Julia Garciaselay.

I’ve listened to the new podcast series. A few interesting bits, here’s a brain dump.

Completely rubbish police investigation (surprise surprise). Three witnesses were not spoken to by police:

- The big one is the elderly woman who lived next door (across the laneway). She got up during the night they were killed (around 2am I think) to get a glass of water. She than sat by her loungeroom window for around 15 mins and had a clear view into the girls house, where one of them was sitting in the kitchen with a “tall man”, sharing a drink and listening to music. This man has never been identified. He would almost certainly be the last to see the girls alive (or is the murderer). The neighbour was not interviewed by police. A year later she told her story to a Truth newspaper reporter, who the family think probably posed as a police officer to get the interview and a photo, which appeared on the front page. Following the publishing of it, the police finally interviewed her. It went nowhere.

- Another elderly neighbour who was in bed in her front room in the night when she heard a man walk past her window (presumably with somebody else) and say “the two teachers are dead”.

- A third neighbour, a young man who had just gone to bed in the early morning when he heard from the direction of the scene a front door slam, two car doors slam, and a car speed off. A mate of his was in bed in another room, and confirmed the next morning he had heard it too… it was very loud. The neighbour is still around and is interviewed on the podcast. He was finally interviewed by police… in 2022!

Much of what the police know or don’t know is simply unclear - it’s still an “active investigation” and police will not say much about anything.

The eight key suspects were all cleared by DNA. The DNA source is a patch of carpet that had semen on it. Though it of course cannot actually be confirmed if this belonged to the killer - it could have been another man.

It’s not known what condition the patch of carpet is now in, or whether further DNA samples can be taken from it. What is known is that at some stage in the past 46 years, the physical evidence from the scene was lost and remained so for 17 years. It was then located in a police storage facility.

The crime scene is a real concern. It was nearly three days before the bodies were discovered. In that time three other men briefly entered and left the house - two via the back door and one via a side window (he was cleared but it’s dodgy af - it’s barely possible he could take the route he says he did and not notice the bodies).

Insufficient crime scene photos were taken. Pathology reports weren’t very detailed. It’s still pretty much unknown where the killer entered or the sequence of events. One policeman used the bathroom sink to wash his hands (the killer had used the bathroom to clean himself). There was a deposit of blood in the bathroom that it is now thought could possibly be the killer’s - though no sample of it was taken.

Theories vary. Most agree the perpetrator of such an incredibly violent crime must have committed others. Possible he committed suicide. In terms of known violent offenders at the time, there’s only a few in Melbourne that fit the pattern.

Push now for a second coronial inquest. The first inquest returned the thoroughly fascinating conclusion that “the women were killed by stabbing by person/s unknown.”
Have just listened to it. Can't get my head around the guy climbing through the window to check the phone number and not seeing or hearing anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very annoying they dont mention which one of the three(grant collins or power)stayed with julie ann garciacelay & which two went out for the pizza,

i mean you cant have three beauties like that being with her the night before her sister found the blood in the apartment etc & not at least one of them being responsible for her disappearance

its hard enough to swallow that grant could have been at both scenes and not been involved in either,but im never swallowing that 1-3 of those guys didnt kill garciacelay

sure i had read before that grant and stevens(neighbour)were an item,but in that podcast its made to sound like they were not close and that his staying over was a one off,could it be that he was more familiar with the place & knew of the girls next door?could it be that power and or collins knew of them also

im liking Power for this one,i would almost have money that he was the one of the three that stayed with Julie & when hearing the old ladies description of the man she saw through the window with Bartlett,he would fit that as well

you would think if collins or power had been next door at any time that Ilona Stevens would have said so

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 24
very annoying they dont mention which one of the three(grant collins or power)stayed with julie ann garciacelay & which two went out for the pizza,

i mean you cant have three beauties like that being with her the night before her sister found the blood in the apartment etc & not at least one of them being responsible for her disappearance

its hard enough to swallow that grant could have been at both scenes and not been involved in either,but im never swallowing that 1-3 of those guys didnt kill garciacelay

sure i had read before that grant and stevens(neighbour)were an item,but in that podcast its made to sound like they were not close and that his staying over was a one off,could it be that he was more familiar with the place & knew of the girls next door?could it be that power and or collins knew of them also

im liking Power for this one,i would almost have money that he was the one of the three that stayed with Julie & when hearing the old ladies description of the man she saw through the window with Bartlett,he would fit that as well

you would think if collins or power had been next door at any time that Ilona Stevens would have said so

One angle I’d never really considered enough - stupidly in hindsight - is what an incredibly violent crime it was and that in itself narrows the potential perpetrators down.

I mean they just weren’t killed for convenience or as an escape, they were absolutely brutalised by a very sick person. They were stabbed 84 times combined. It was an absolute slaughter.

The odds of any mystery perp doing that and not being known to police before or since must be incredibly low, if not totally impossible.

So who was it…

This one is available free for those with Kindle unlimited. I hope I don't regret reading it, there have been a few crime books I have read that I really wish I hadn't.
I've read it and recommend.
It is succinct in the sumation of the known evidence, witnesses, faulty investigation and theories in detail.
From memory it supports most of the information that Bunk Moreland has already detailed above.
I don't recall any mention of Peter Brock in it.

Bunk maybe you can refresh my memory. Was any mention made of how Mishka the puppy got out? I know the neighbours found her in the street running around. So assume she was let out when the murderer entered the back yard?

A very sad case.

Could the perpetrator have died not long after the murders and no further similar horrific crimes took place consequently.

Or could they have moved interstate or regional VIC? Any similar crimes from around the same timeframe elsewhere?

Let’s hope the families get answers. Just horrible.

A very sad case.

Could the perpetrator have died not long after the murders and no further similar horrific crimes took place consequently.

Or could they have moved interstate or regional VIC? Any similar crimes from around the same timeframe elsewhere?

Let’s hope the families get answers. Just horrible.
anything is possible,but with how personal and vicious this crime was,i can see it possible that the perp didnt re offend,he was clearly angry at one or both these women,perhaps it did just stop at them

im thinking they need to investigate men connected to bartlett more,as was suggested on the podcast,i mean from a guys perspective if im in the running to get armstrong(assuming she is as hot as described)then im pretty happy with my lot,even if she knocks me back chances are im still getting with another attractive woman pretty soon,but if im settling for bartlett knowing i dont have a shot with armstrong and still getting knocked back,im a pretty miserable sad sack & if ive got a screw loose,look out world

anything is possible,but with how personal and vicious this crime was,i can see it possible that the perp didnt re offend,he was clearly angry at one or both these women,perhaps it did just stop at them
Good analysis - focus on the one with the most vicious attack and the people in her life

I’ve always felt this one should have been easier to solve than it has been - ie murderer known to victims or was a random at nearby watering holes

im thinking they need to investigate men connected to bartlett more,as was suggested on the podcast,i mean from a guys perspective if im in the running to get armstrong(assuming she is as hot as described)then im pretty happy with my lot,even if she knocks me back chances are im still getting with another attractive woman pretty soon,but if im settling for bartlett knowing i dont have a shot with armstrong and still getting knocked back,im a pretty miserable sad sack & if ive got a screw loose,look out world
an absolutely revolting perspective to have (and not backed by any criminology research), and reveals a lot about you imo

an absolutely revolting perspective to have (and not backed by any criminology research), and reveals a lot about you imo
well coming from someone who has contributed precisely nothing to this topic over 3 pages and 11 and a half years,i will simply laugh at you and your opinion troll boy,i will also do a bob hawke to malcolm fraser post election and raise 2 fingers and say"there you go questionable,shove those up your you know what"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back