EDFL Premier Div 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suggestion worked on 18 teams. Last season there were 19 teams. Next season there is a new club plus a greater expectation that one or two that didn't have U19s (e.g. EDS) will do so. Therefore 18 teams is realistic

I cant see how you can have 18 or 19 teams spread over three divisions. Too many bye's or playing each other too many times.

Not a factor at U19s level. Last season only Strathmore had two teams and their second team (competing against 'Ones' teams every week) was rightfully in the third tiered division. Next year I imagine Abers will join SFC as having two U19 teams but both their seconds should be in the bottom grade.
Not if their second team is good enough to beat some of the other teams in the top grade. I know the league wouldn't do it as they don't have the balls to make the call.

Abers 2nd's would beat EK easily, same as they did in 2017 in U17's.

I would like to see some div1 clubs have teams playing in the no1 under 19s comp as it also is good for retaining players at home clubs. In the past some clubs have lost kids that go play premier 19s. I think clubs like Hillside, Craigieburn, West Meadows etc would benefit from this. Also an advantage to clubs being relegated but maybe there 19s went ok..

This way you won’t get situations of clubs 2nd 19s team beating others to a degree.

I would like to see some div1 clubs have teams playing in the no1 under 19s comp as it also is good for retaining players at home clubs. In the past some clubs have lost kids that go play premier 19s. I think clubs like Hillside, Craigieburn, West Meadows etc would benefit from this. Also an advantage to clubs being relegated but maybe there 19s went ok..

This way you won’t get situations of clubs 2nd 19s team beating others to a degree.
Great in theory but in practice. Players at Abers are not going to go to west meadows just to play premier. They want to stay at Abers. Abers u17 three teams won each division two years ago so their seconds team would beat the bottom teams in premier.

Great in theory but in practice. Players at Abers are not going to go to west meadows just to play premier. They want to stay at Abers. Abers u17 three teams won each division two years ago so their seconds team would beat the bottom teams in premier.

Not sure you understand my post Newathis!!

The drafts are done and dusted, so who moves and when will clubs reveal their big signings?
I see that Shaw and Hanna are on the move from Abers. Hanna will be at Essendon VFL, so it will be interesting to see where they want him to play if not selected for them.

Do you think the EDFL would allow a clubs 19's to pla in premier while the seniors are in Div 1. Interesting thought.

I think grading (and not following the open age) is a smart move.

I don't get the move back to U19 (versus 19.5). My maths tells me it cuts out 20% of the potential audience

Reckon even if they had 3 Divisions of 6 teams that were graded and kept the age at 19.5 then there would be three good comps.
Not many clubs would be comfortable in having their under 19s play away from their senior sides - the competition needs to revert back to under 19s not 19.5 as the difference between first year boys from under 17s and young men having their third season of under 19.5 football is too great. Competitions are always going to be uneven kids / parents need to harden up and develop kids that have resilience rather than making everything easier !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Turbo , Interested to know your thoughts on how Laidley ill go at Marby? From reports looks like they are losing quite a few players also.

Hey Turbo , Interested to know your thoughts on how Laidley ill go at Marby? From reports looks like they are losing quite a few players also.

Appears to be concern at Marby with the loss of a number of good players (particularly a few talls and comp winner) including Castello who I thought was contemplating a few games at Marby when he was available but things changed. I’m sure he will add a few but keep in mind they do have some good kids coming through so my mail tells me they will promote from within and recruit a few. I’m sure his coaching will benefit the young group but he can go off..I reckon the method to go for youth but get in an experienced coach is not a bad idea. So your really cutting costs on the playing group but putting it into the coach. Bit like a Keilor to some degree. Can tell you that besides McGuane, Laidley is next with regards to coaches salaries.
I don’t have any more mate.

Appears to be concern at Marby with the loss of a number of good players (particularly a few talls and comp winner) including Castello who I thought was contemplating a few games at Marby when he was available but things changed. I’m sure he will add a few but keep in mind they do have some good kids coming through so my mail tells me they will promote from within and recruit a few. I’m sure his coaching will benefit the young group but he can go off..I reckon the method to go for youth but get in an experienced coach is not a bad idea. So your really cutting costs on the playing group but putting it into the coach. Bit like a Keilor to some degree. Can tell you that besides McGuane, Laidley is next with regards to coaches salaries.
Who are the good kids coming through? Yes I know they won the 19.5 the other year but that is because, Abers, Keilor and EDS all had their best playing TAC Cup or promoted to seniors.
Agree the Gaul (think it is) brothers give a good contest but not aware of others

Gone out on a limb saying Laidley is getting paid well.

With only three kids getting drafted out of our league, that leaves a lot of quality 17-18 year olds who will play senior footy next year. Hence not as many big name recruits coming in. Because the standard of our under 17 & 19 comps a lot of kids are good to go and in two years time will be genuine senior footballers.
I’m sure some on here will say only the big 4 clubs have those quality kids coming through, probably right. Is what it is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gone out on a limb saying Laidley is getting paid well.

With only three kids getting drafted out of our league, that leaves a lot of quality 17-18 year olds who will play senior footy next year. Hence not as many big name recruits coming in. Because the standard of our under 17 & 19 comps a lot of kids are good to go and in two years time will be genuine senior footballers.
I’m sure some on here will say only the big 4 clubs have those quality kids coming through, probably right. Is what it is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes the top 4 have more kids but you can always find a few gems at most clubs if you look close enough. Actually some of these gems work out better players at local level as they had to work harder and are more genuine.

It’s always annoyed me why rep sides are made up from players from the bigger clubs. Go and look and you will find them some at every club. All they need is an opportunity and someone to believe in them. But hey some of these rep coaches just deal with 3 or 4 clubs. It’s been happening for years..

Not many clubs would be comfortable in having their under 19s play away from their senior sides

Most U19s would be happy to be playing a game full stop. With 3 Premier clubs not fielding U19s last year (and many other Div 1 & Div 2) the U19s weren't playing before their seniors anyway. That's assuming they didn't have a bye in an uneven 'premier' comp.

The competition needs to revert back to under 19s not 19.5 as the difference between first year boys from under 17s and young men having their third season of under 19.5 football is too great. Competitions are always going to be uneven kids / parents need to harden up and develop kids that have resilience rather than making everything easier !

You contradict yourself here. First you mention a 'need' to push the 19 to 19.5yo to Seniors as it impacts on first year boys and then you say competitions are uneven and kids need to harden up. Which one is it?

My view is 19.5 will increase the size of the available pool and any physically strong/highly talented 19 to 19.5 would be playing Seniors anyway.

Most U19s would be happy to be playing a game full stop. With 3 Premier clubs not fielding U19s last year (and many other Div 1 & Div 2) the U19s weren't playing before their seniors anyway. That's assuming they didn't have a bye in an uneven 'premier' comp.

You contradict yourself here. First you mention a 'need' to push the 19 to 19.5yo to Seniors as it impacts on first year boys and then you say competitions are uneven and kids need to harden up. Which one is it?

My view is 19.5 will increase the size of the available pool and any physically strong/highly talented 19 to 19.5 would be playing Seniors anyway.

A significant amount of U19.5 div 1 games played last season were not at same ground as seniors. Most clubs have already been exposed to U19's not playing at same ground.

Hillside & MV have been strong in this age group over the years, if grading occurs they'll be in top Div

A significant amount of U19.5 div 1 games played last season were not at same ground as seniors. Most clubs have already been exposed to U19's not playing at same ground.

Hillside & MV have been strong in this age group over the years, if grading occurs they'll be in top Div

Hey Defender, that’s my point as well. It would be great to see the 19s graded to some degree and ask clubs in the lower divisions if they would prefer to play in the top grade. I think it’s a win for the clubs and the players. I know some premier clubs like the big 3 wont like it as this was a way to poach kids from lower divisions.
If the hierarchy can implement the points system at least support ALL clubs building juniors..

Big loss , good player

I don't want to get Turbs wound up but is it too simplistic to say that some of these departures could be because of Marby's ground and facilities? The ground would be close to if not the worst in Premier (and no fault of Marby as Council owned) and the size of the change rooms are at best for u/11s - (again Council). Players that are not juniors or coming out of VFL ranks - including the development league, expect reasonable training, playing, rooms etc. and at the moment, Marby would rate as one of the lowest in the comp.

I acknowledge a few players went there with or for Castello but if they were happy with the offering then they would stay. I didn't see many clearance Ins during November - with the quality of outs does that put them in the bottom 4?

I don't want to get Turbs wound up but is it too simplistic to say that some of these departures could be because of Marby's ground and facilities? The ground would be close to if not the worst in Premier (and no fault of Marby as Council owned) and the size of the change rooms are at best for u/11s - (again Council). Players that are not juniors or coming out of VFL ranks - including the development league, expect reasonable training, playing, rooms etc. and at the moment, Marby would rate as one of the lowest in the comp.

I acknowledge a few players went there with or for Castello but if they were happy with the offering then they would stay. I didn't see many clearance Ins during November - with the quality of outs does that put them in the bottom 4?

Any smart player looking to move to local footy fulltime should ask to see the facilities and take that into consideration. I agree with you as it does attribute to unattractive footy and possible injuries.

Huge Loss considering Kempster now left the VFL “I believe” so fulltime local player. Young, tall, strong and versatile player..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back