Society/Culture Elon Musk - Takeover of Twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

What I don't see mentioned much is the value of Twitter data to a guy trying to produce AI.
It's an interesting thought, but I don't necessarily see a straight line between concept and profit.

I can thoroughly see Musk as an Apeture Science type, developing and perfecting an AI without any real designs on doing it for profit (and in the stupidest way imaginable) but in all honesty I see him as a) too greedy for that, and b) too interested in leveraging pre-existing uses of that information to need to pioneer AI tech.

And I also genuinely hope the first true AI created isn't created from the collective imprints of Twitter. It'd kill all of us because we liked the wrong combination of memes.

If you are interested in machine learning and AI, check out:

I'm 90% sure a nerd is going to create the tool that ends our existence/freedom

I know so many programmers so busy trying to work out if they can they never think about if they should

The level of surveillance built into our lives now with what's going on with laws in the states is a scary combination.

I'm no Luddite, I work in tech but yeah for every pattern recognition algorithm that detects cancer accurately and early there's three shady facial recognition companies selling their software to cops

It's an interesting thought, but I don't necessarily see a straight line between concept and profit.

I can thoroughly see Musk as an Apeture Science type, developing and perfecting an AI without any real designs on doing it for profit (and in the stupidest way imaginable) but in all honesty I see him as a) too greedy for that, and b) too interested in leveraging pre-existing uses of that information to need to pioneer AI tech.

And I also genuinely hope the first true AI created isn't created from the collective imprints of Twitter. It'd kill all of us because we liked the wrong combination of memes.
I more meant in uses for his existing tech, eg for Tesla self driving they have shifted away from radar sensors and more towards cameras and trying to detect objects as the human eye does. So not genuine AI, but something like harvesting pictures + keywords from Twitter to help his software learn? Probably a bad example, but I'm sure there's some value there. Plus he's making those humanoid robot thingies too.

He's also been outspoken about the dangers of AI, so hopefully he's going about any such research in a safe and responsible manner, but this IS Elon we're talking about.

Saudis, Qataris.

Lovers of free speech and personal freedom.

That's going to upset some people in this thread that said Elon owning twitter was better than Saudi's having a stake in it like they do now

That's going to upset some people in this thread that said Elon owning twitter was better than Saudi's having a stake in it like they do now

It was also upset the simple souls who thought this was a cash transaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh. More than a fe wposters have accused posters of supporting Saudis.

Looks like they have some questions to answer.

As they've been told so many times; simping for right wing billionaires always makes them looking like foolish simps.
So he'll still own twitter, but will be partly financed by the current ownership and therefore still accountable to them? Serious question and that sucks if true (not that he will be accountable in general, but accountable to bad actors).

On the other hand we had people point scoring on how the twitter purchase disproves the theory that the wealth of billionaires is mostly not liquid. Elon can't sell large amounts of Tesla stock without the risk of destroying the company.

I don't think the world should have billionaires, particularly not people with hundreds of billions. I do have a soft spot for Musk though, because I do believe that Tesla and SpaceX products are of net benefit to humankind (especially as compared to the products produced by most mega wealthy companies). There were a lot of vested interests working against the uptake of EVs, but ole Elon forced them in front of our faces and made em sexy. His big batteries (like in SA) make the mass uptake of renewables far more practical. His space rockets are frkn awesome and can already achieve some tasks more economically than NASA can... the list goes on m8.

So he'll still own twitter, but will be partly financed by the current ownership and therefore still accountable to them? Serious question and that sucks if true (not that he will be accountable in general, but accountable to bad actors).

On the other hand we had people point scoring on how the twitter purchase disproves the theory that the wealth of billionaires is mostly not liquid. Elon can't sell large amounts of Tesla stock without the risk of destroying the company.

I don't think the world should have billionaires, particularly not people with hundreds of billions. I do have a soft spot for Musk though, because I do believe that Tesla and SpaceX products are of net benefit to humankind (especially as compared to the products produced by most mega wealthy companies). There were a lot of vested interests working against the uptake of EVs, but ole Elon forced them in front of our faces and made em sexy. His big batteries (like in SA) make the mass uptake of renewables far more practical. His space rockets are frkn awesome and can already achieve some tasks more economically than NASA can... the list goes on m8.

What of his history makes you think he’s a better “actor” than anyone else that’s been involved in Twitter?

I’ll agree with you on his other ventures, especially the solar power and batteries. He did make EV’s sexy although the build quality on those vehicles is patchy and he’s going to start losing market share, especially to the Koreans marques.

If I have a problem with Musk its his cult of personality followers. There’s a techbro libertarian thing happening there which you see with Marc Andreissen and Jordan Peterson which is ******* lame.

I‘d listen to Musk on power networks and EV’s and maybe space travel. I don’t think he has anything interesting to add on free speech or human rights. That’s just a billionaire’s conceit.

What of his history makes you think he’s a better “actor” than anyone else that’s been involved in Twitter?

I’ll agree with you on his other ventures, especially the solar power and batteries. He did make EV’s sexy although the build quality on those vehicles is patchy and he’s going to start losing market share, especially to the Koreans marques.

If I have a problem with Musk its his cult of personality followers. There’s a techbro libertarian thing happening there which you see with Marc Andreissen and Jordan Peterson which is ******* lame.

I‘d listen to Musk on power networks and EV’s and maybe space travel. I don’t think he has anything interesting to add on free speech or human rights. That’s just a billionaire’s conceit.

I largely agree. And by bad actors I just meant keeping onboard individuals and companies that made their wealth largely from fossil fuels and don't have a great track record with things like free speech.

Yeah he supports high birth rates.

He surely gets points from the left for this one? So much for the conspiracy that he was buying twitter to somehow get out of providing workers with maternity leave.

He surely gets points from the left for this one? So much for the conspiracy that he was buying twitter to somehow get out of providing workers with maternity leave.

I don't know where he gets it from but it's either an asinine mathematical take or a commentary on cultural purity. Either way it's a good example of him not bringing anything of value to a discussion outside his expertise.

I'm pleased Tesla is supporting their female employee's in their right to choose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back