England vs Ireland - Only Test, Lord's, 24th-27th July 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Are bowlers just flat out dumb?

Heard of a Yorker?

There is no harder skill to execute in the sport.
Miss a fraction short and you bowl a half volley that any even half proficient batsman can hit anywhere between mid off and fine leg depending on their position at the crease, miss a fraction full and that task becomes even easier. Bowling short of a length you’ve got a two meter area to hit. Bowl short and you’ve got an even bigger area to hit.

There is a reason literally EVERY bowler on the planet knows WHERE to bowl in the last 10 overs of an ODI but only a dozen or so can actually be trusted to do it. It’s because actioning a plan isn’t as simple as just saying ‘yeah that’s where I want to put it.’

There is no harder skill to execute in the sport.
Miss a fraction short and you bowl a half volley that any even half proficient batsman can hit anywhere between mid off and fine leg depending on their position at the crease, miss a fraction full and that task becomes even easier. Bowling short of a length you’ve got a two meter area to hit. Bowl short and you’ve got an even bigger area to hit.

There is a reason literally EVERY bowler on the planet knows WHERE to bowl in the last 10 overs of an ODI but only a dozen or so can actually be trusted to do it. It’s because actioning a plan isn’t as simple as just saying ‘yeah that’s where I want to put it.’
You would think bowling irl is like playing a cricket video game with the way some carry on here. Same posters probably couldn't even bowl a consistently full line in a cricket video game either.

You would think bowling irl is like playing a cricket video game with the way some carry on here. Same posters probably couldn't even bowl a consistently full line in a cricket video game either.

This.

I remember going to the nets one arvo a few years ago for an hour or so purely to practice bowling yorkers. I put s drink bottle on the spot I wanted to hit and thought I’d be ok to hit it at least once every 6-8 balls.
I’m not quick at all but basically every first grade wicket I’ve ever taken (our first grade is maybe Sydney 3-4th grade equivalent. Closer to fourth) had been the result of, what I thought at least, fairly relentless accuracy.

I deadset hit the thing about 4 times in an hour. And nothing I tried made it any easier.

Now obviously at the top level the skill set is much higher and the reason they make it that far is because they have control and accuracy but it gave me a f***ing good appreciation for how hard it is to bowl as fast as you can, control any movement, and hit quite literally a pint sized target 22 yards away

This.

I remember going to the nets one arvo a few years ago for an hour or so purely to practice bowling yorkers. I put s drink bottle on the spot I wanted to hit and thought I’d be ok to hit it at least once every 6-8 balls.
I’m not quick at all but basically every first grade wicket I’ve ever taken (our first grade is maybe Sydney 3-4th grade equivalent. Closer to fourth) had been the result of, what I thought at least, fairly relentless accuracy.

I deadset hit the thing about 4 times in an hour. And nothing I tried made it any easier.

Now obviously at the top level the skill set is much higher and the reason they make it that far is because they have control and accuracy but it gave me a f***ing good appreciation for how hard it is to bowl as fast as you can, control any movement, and hit quite literally a pint sized target 22 yards away

I play B3 level in Brisbane (Equivalent Sydney grade would be about 12th grade) genuinely get upset when i bowl one in the nets as I know there's no chance I'm hitting one on the weekend after that. Truly a ridiculous skill to master

Poms playing s**t and probably lose but it means * all. World Champs for the next 4 years.

That ending to the World Cup final still annoys me. Can only imagine how the Kiwi's feel.

If Ireland win this, surely the ICC will stop wasting their time and putting them against minnows like England. The only way the associates will get better is by playing against the big dogs.

Rain.

Also apparently Amir retired from tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back