Finals effectively gone. What do we do from here for the 2023 season?

Will we still play finals in 2023?

• YES

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • NO

Votes: 73 79.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, but if Lynch didnt get injured we would be comfortably in the 8 and everyone would be talking up exactly the same players that they are criticizing now. He's the one player we couldnt afford to have get injured. But he did, so it's over now.
Problem is his age, and if he does go down.

We really need some young forwards coming through, but we've got zilch.

LOL A center line of 2 players that have never played and Ross. We would lose to West Coast by 150 points with that lineup and may not score against a team like Melbourne. We aren't just kicking Grimes, Prestia, Riewoldt, Graham, Cotchin, McIntosh and all our premiership players out of the club midseason.
I am

We have to be realistic though, its way longer than 3 years. There is no way we will be better in 3 years than we are now, we will probably be significantly worse but hopefully on the right track. I mean that list of players to replace has about 9 guns in it. If we are lucky we could jag 1 of that quality outside the first round of the draft in the next few years. The rest we are relying on first rounders, Free Agency and trade and that is going to take a lot longer than 3 years.
I think we will jag more than 1 quality player. An average of 6 list changes per year means about 18 picks or trades in and we only have to nail 50% of those to replace the 9 or so quality players.

Whether or not they will be of the same quality as 5 guns Martin, Reiwoldt Cotchin, Prestia and Lynch is the question.

You'd hope we would nail the 2 first rounders in 2024 and 2025 plus another 2 or 3 in free agency or a later pick.

It's just a question of do we nail suffient quality for at least 4 players in the picks in the 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond.

It's possible. But certainly not guaranteed..

Last edited:
I actually don't want to do much more than what we are already doing. Yes, perhaps play a few more kids when you can but we are already doing this in many instances. Perhaps play players in a variety of roles to see where they best fit. Other than that, we just need to fight out the season.

We can still make finals but more importantly is the lessons to teach the new wave of talent we have coming through -
1. Never give up: a contest, a quarter, a game, a season, a career, an era
2. Fight to make those around you better
3. Find joy and positives even in your loses.

I hate the idea of tanking (no first round pick throws that concept out regardless) and I hate the idea of giving up on a season. Footy (& life) is about what's going on inside your thought cage.

Keep fighting for the 'now' and rewards for the 'then' will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Book a holiday in sunny Port Douglas for mid to late September and smash beers until I vomit in the Court House Hotel watching Collingwood blow another chance at a Grand Final. Rinse and repeat

Book a holiday in sunny Port Douglas for mid to late September and smash beers until I vomit in the Court House Hotel watching Collingwood blow another chance at a Grand Final. Rinse and repeat
theyll win it

Now that Dimma has gone and the dust has settled, I reckon we can make finals. The amount of close losses or games we lost that we should’ve won, if mini can get a 10% more yield out of the playing group those loses become wins. If Dimma thought he was just a bit off it or he couldnt get the group up as much as he did previously the trend of these loses would make more sense and something that could reasonably change under a new voice. We have still have games against north, hawthorn and wce which means we should be effectively 6-1-6, then we need to win 7 out of 10. I accept that this is probably an overly optimistic view but Dimma still believes in the list at his presser

Back