HF: Bailey Hipwood Rayner
F: Cameron Daniher Gunston
Fol: McInerney Dunkley Neale
INT: Fort Bowes Zorko Ashcroft
SUB: McCarthy
EMG: Payne Ah Chee Robertson

Depth: Fullarton Wilmot Prior. Mathieson Cockatoo Tunstill Madden

*Tipping Lyons to still be a best 22 player
This side looks great...very exciting although I have little hope of Bowes coming on board & I believe Fletcher will play more seniors than VFL next year.

We get Dunkley, Gunston, Ashcroft & Fletcher and we have struck gold and set ourselves up for a big 2023.

Here's my pre-draft prediction (apart from the Will Ashcroft selection) and assuming Dunkley and Gunston enter in, thoughts very welcome

B: Starcevich ~ Adams ~ Gardiner/ Payne
HB: Coleman ~ Andrews ~ Rich

C: McCluggage ~ Neale ~ Ashcroft
RR: McInerney ~ Dunkley ~ Jarryd Berry

HF: Bailey ~ Hipwood ~ Rayner
FF: Cameron ~ Daniher ~ Gunston

INT: Zorko ~ Lyons ~ McCarthy ~ Wilmot/ Ah Chee
SUB: Ah Chee/ Answerth/ Lohmann, horses for courses depending on opposition

*Lyons the interesting one who could find himself outside the 22. Battled OP in the back end of the year
*Dev Robertson probably in the 19 - 25 player bracket, not accounting for him incase West Coast come ;)
*Tom Berry I'm suggesting gets to the Suns comfortably also

Also interested in the fans thoughts on DFA Ely Smith. I was big on Ely in his draft year and again wouldn't mind West Coast having a good crack at him as a DFA, still in a good age bracket and great size about him

Here's my pre-draft prediction (apart from the Will Ashcroft selection) and assuming Dunkley and Gunston enter in, thoughts very welcome

*Lyons the interesting one who could find himself outside the 22. Battled OP in the back end of the year
*Dev Robertson probably in the 19 - 25 player bracket, not accounting for him incase West Coast come ;)

Also interested in the fans thoughts on DFA Ely Smith. I was big on Ely in his draft year and again wouldn't mind West Coast having a good crack at him as a DFA, still in a good age bracket and great size about him
Nice side although I would definitely have Dev Robertson in the side over Lyons, with Neale/Dunkley being the 2 major inside players we don't need Lyons, we need some defensive gut running role playing mids and Dev is that in spades.

I also would leave Rich out of the side unless he has a training the house down off season, he is a liability with his lack of defensive run.

+ I expect Lohmann to put lots of pressure on Linc McCarthy next season to fill the high pressure x factor small forward role.

think most supporters here would agree with this 22. robertson apparently being told he is in our planned 22 next year would make me think hes going to be taking Lyons spot in the team you posted here. lots of rich detractors here for whatever reason but i think hes still comfortably b22

McCluggage would probably be playing predominantly inside and Berry on the wing. straight swap for your listed team.

Zorko is the interesting one in that i dont really see where his primary position will be next year. personally i would have probably preferred him to retire this year with his body failing him and having a fair few games where he faded out to make room for a prior / ah chee to cement a spot in the 22 as a dedicated wing. but hes playing on and if he retains captaincy he has to be a walk up start every week. maybe he takes the role ah chee did this year as being a mr fix it utility all across the ground?

Does 5 on the bench rather than a substitute change peoples thinking. Could carry Fort.
My thinking is we go back to 4 on the bench.

However i could agree to 5 on the bench only if they reduce interchanges to 60.

Prefer it to be 50 but 60 would be okay

On the other hand coaches may prefer 7 on the bench (Def, Mid, Fwd x 2 + Ruck) and increase interchanges

My thinking is we go back to 4 on the bench.

However i could agree to 5 on the bench only if they reduce interchanges to 60.

Prefer it to be 50 but 60 would be okay

On the other hand coaches may prefer 7 on the bench (Def, Mid, Fwd x 2 + Ruck) and increase interchanges
Not sure 7 on the bench would get up due to the Salary Cap and number of players on the list. One would think both would need to rise. If the substitute does become the fifth bench player, rotation numbers is something that needs to be considered. If not lowered then the slower more endurance based player may be more overlooked by clubs or adversely impact clubs currently going after players of this nature. Richmond going after Taranto and Hopper may suggest they think the bench will stay the same or interchange will reduce if it goes to 5 on the bench.

Not sure 7 on the bench would get up due to the Salary Cap and number of players on the list. One would think both would need to rise. If the substitute does become the fifth bench player, rotation numbers is something that needs to be considered. If not lowered then the slower more endurance based player may be more overlooked by clubs or adversely impact clubs currently going after players of this nature. Richmond going after Taranto and Hopper may suggest they think the bench will stay the same or interchange will reduce if it goes to 5 on the bench.
I don't want 7 on the bench.
I just think coaches want everything set. That way when things go wrong they have more options
They forget that the other team also gets this advantage
You are correct in if you change bench numbers drastically you would need more players on the list

i was more pointing out that i would rather go back to 4 but coaches always want more options during the game

Early predictions for next year?

I think we'll finish 3rd or 4th but put up a bit more of a fight next year in the prelim

Again it will mostly depend on how our younger mids improve; Berry, Bailey, Rayner, etc but also can our backs bounce back from a disappointing season

Early predictions for next year?

I think we'll finish 3rd or 4th but put up a bit more of a fight next year in the prelim

Again it will mostly depend on how our younger mids improve; Berry, Bailey, Rayner, etc but also can our backs bounce back from a disappointing season

I actually think we'll win it. Reckon the stars are aligning for us. Neale still at his best in the midfield with another year into McCluggage/Berry/Bailey, Dunkley in there to improve things too, Rayner/Hipwood in their second year back from ACLs (usually when players return to their best), Daniher with working shoulders.

Of course other injury concerns can pop up, but I think we are more well-suited for a flag next year than we have been at any other stage of this build.

With our 2016 & 2017 draft crop finally becoming mature players in the squad rather than just promising young prospects, combined with the trade-ins and the injury recoveries, I think we will have a dominant season and win our first of this era 20 years on from our last of the previous era.

Taking out the Fagan factor, I would be expecting a Grand Final berth next year. What happens with Fagan could impact our season though. One of those unknowns at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Payne Adams Starcevich
HB: Coleman Andrews Rayner
C: Berry Neale Ashcroft
HF: McCarthy Hipwood Bailey
F: Gunston Daniher Cameron

R: McInerney McCluggage Robertson

I: Prior Ah Chee Fort Dunkley

Medi-Sub: Mathieson

B: Payne Adams Starcevich
HB: Coleman Andrews Rayner
C: Berry Neale Ashcroft
HF: McCarthy Hipwood Bailey
F: Gunston Daniher Cameron

R: McInerney McCluggage Robertson

I: Prior Ah Chee Fort Dunkley

Medi-Sub: Mathieson
I had to read your team a few times
Rayner taking Lester's spot
Lester has not been delested yet 3KZ
Are you starting to waver on Lester best 22 for next year:)

We need to find a wing so with this in mind

B : Starcevich - then 2 of (Adams/Payne/Gardiner)

HB: Zorko -Andrews - Rich

C : Coleman: McCluggage - Berry

HF: Bailey - Hippy - Rayner

F : Cameron - Daniher - Gunston

Foll: McInerney - Neale - Dunkley

I/C Wilmot (Def) - Ashcroft (Wing) - McCarthy (Fwd) - 1 of (Tunstill/Lyons/Dev) (Mid)

Last edited:
We need to find a wing so with this in mind

B : Starcevich - then 2 of (Adams/Payne/Gardiner)

HB: Zorko -Andrews - Rich

C : Coleman: McCluggage - Berry

HF: Bailey - Hippy - Rayner

F : Cameron - Daniher - Gunston

Foll: McInerney - Neale - Dunkley

I/C Wilmot - Ashcroft - McCarthy - 1 of (Tunstill/Lyons/Dev)

I like the idea of Coleman on the wing but I think Ashcroft will start his career on the wing like McCluggage and move on ball after 40/50 games? Think we need Kiddy's kicking ability off half back. We can't have Rich and Zorko off half back - not defensive minded enough. Teams will kick goals for fun. I like the idea of Starcevich - Adams - Kiddy as our half back line. Also think Wilmot needs to be a regular in the back line as well.

I like the idea of Coleman on the wing but I think Ashcroft will start his career on the wing like McCluggage and move on ball after 40/50 games? Think we need Kiddy's kicking ability off half back. We can't have Rich and Zorko off half back - not defensive minded enough. Teams will kick goals for fun. I like the idea of Starcevich - Adams - Kiddy as our half back line. Also think Wilmot needs to be a regular in the back line as well.
I have Ashcroft as the Wing relief on the bench with small stints in the middle. I should have indicated will fix
I think if Zorko starts and stays at HB his defensive game will improve
I have no issues with Starcevich/Zorko/Rich/Wilmott combo
Kiddy barely had the fitness to get through a game at half back

Not sure he'll ever have the fitness to play wing
I partly agree with you but was it fitness or hammy soreness issues
He has fitted in fantastically at half back and it would be a gamble to change that.
Most likely won't happen but wing has been a weakness for us last year half of the previous year
Next year will be his 4th year and fitness should improve with another preseason under his belt
Last year he averaged 74.6% TOG so around that will be fine
Kiddy just looks like a natural wing at AFL level in my opinion

I am actually trying to find a spot for Zorko that benefits the team overall
I was against playing Zorko at HB when it was mentioned last year
But the few times he played at HB he went well

Zorko disposal of HB is elite.. He seemed to lost his zip so him and Rich become liabilities when the ball moves quick.
Although could become a Daniel type player for us.
Rich body seemed not great this year as well, seemed some lower back/hamstring problems.
Hopefully a good pre season for both although bodies showing so wear.
If not then not sure we can carry both of HB

Zorko disposal of HB is elite.. He seemed to lost his zip so him and Rich become liabilities when the ball moves quick.
Although could become a Daniel type player for us.
Rich body seemed not great this year as well, seemed some lower back/hamstring problems.
Hopefully a good pre season for both although bodies showing so wear.
If not then not sure we can carry both of HB

I don't think we can

We'll hide Zorko as an unaccountable, high, half forward

I don't think we can

We'll hide Zorko as an unaccountable, high, half forward
thought he was doing a good job as a pressure forward before being injured in the freo game, then for whatever reason later in the year after he injured himself multiple times we decided we needed him back as a mid. was a gamble that paid off but has gone missing a fair few times in the midfield this year. think we need to move past him in that role

Starc. Payne Andrews.
Kiddy Adams. Wilmont.

Andrews must play more a roaming defender role rather than being a "lock down" defender. This allows his intercept marking and ability to provide defensive cover to shine. Payne over Gardiner unlocks this. Gardiner may be better suited over Payne playing certain teams.

McCluggage. Neale. Ashcroft.
McInerney. Berry. Dunkly.

Ultimately a very strong and flexible core midfield. All players can play inside or outside as needed particularly Berry and Neale.
Much needed size being added with Dunkly taking some pressure off Berry's shoulders. Literally.

Lohmann. Hipwood. Baily
Cameron. Daniher. Gunston.

A very high scoring combination already with Gunston a short-term upgrade on McStay.

Looking for more speed with Lohmann over McCarthy and ultimately more consistency.

Interchange;
Rich, Zorko, Robertson McCarthy or AhChee

Reduced minutes for Rich and Zorko in their final season or two.
Both can play off halfback and provide high impact moments going forward.

Robertson provides ultimate midfield flexibility being able to play a wing, inside or tagging role.

McCarthy at his best is too good to leave out however Ah Chee could allow Starc to explore midfield role. More of a dream perhaps.

Last edited:
Starc. Payne Andrews.
Kiddy Adams. Wilmont.

Andrews must play more a roaming defender role rather than being a "lock down" defender. This allows his intercept marking and ability to provide defensive cover to shine. Payne over Gardiner unlocks this. Gardiner may be better suited over Payne playing certain teams.

McCluggage. Neale. Ashcroft.
McInerney. Berry. Dunkly.

Ultimately a very strong and flexible core midfield. All players can play inside or outside as needed particularly Berry and Neale.
Much needed size being added with Dunkly taking some pressure off Berry's shoulders. Literally.

Lohmann. Hipwood. Baily
Cameron. Daniher. Gunston.

A very high scoring combination already with Gunston a short-term upgrade on McStay.

Looking for more speed with Lohmann over McCarthy and ultimately more consistency.

Interchange;
Rich, Zorko, Robertson McCarthy or AhChee

Reduced minutes for Rich and Zorko in their final season or two.
Both can play off halfback and provide high impact moments going forward.

Robertson provides ultimate midfield flexibility being able to play a wing, inside or tagging role.

McCarthy at his best is too good to leave out however Ah Chee could allow Starc to explore midfield role.

No Rayner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back