First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve already moved on to my 2024 best 22.
I'm not giving up the ghost just yet but yesterday was very worrying that we couldn't give a yelp in that last quarter against moderate opposition.

We all knew we had to win that game. We looked underprepared for genuine pressure which they applied. It got too hard for some reason.

Let's see how we respond in the next few weeks.

Starcevich, Andrews, Lester
McKenna, Payne, Wilmott
Berry, Ashcroft, McCluggage
McInerney, Dunkley, Neale
Zorko, Hipwood, Bailey
McCarthy, Daniher, Cameron

Coleman, Robertson, Sharp, Rayner
Sub:Ah Chee

Notes:
*Lester or Gardiner. I quite like Lester as the last man, directing the team set up. At the end of the day it comes down to trust, and I think I trust Lester more than Gardiner.
*Berry is out of form or out of sorts (carrying an injury), I'm not sure which. I believe being put through a mini preseason probably benefits him more than playing reserves.
*McCluggage has always been a wing. Never had a problem finding the ball as a wing, and playing at an AA level. Trying to make him an inside mid is hurting the team.
*Time to try a smaller forward line, with to half forwards who can play up the ground supporting the midfield, and are good running back to goal. And hopefully leave space for our two talls to lead in to.
*Robertson or Lyons as the bench mid. Lyons is better at stoppages, but that's not our problem, defending the opposition run and spread is, and Lyons can't defend that.
*Sharp is a winger. He's our best runner, and when selected, roles back to help the defense.
*I'd almost pick Ah Chee to play half back if Coleman can't get out of his funk. He's the perfect sub as he can play on all 3 lines.

McKenna, Payne, Wilmott
Zorko, Hipwood, Bailey

Notes:
*Lester or Gardiner. I quite like Lester as the last man, directing the team set up. At the end of the day it comes down to trust, and I think I trust Lester more than Gardiner.
*Berry is out of form or out of sorts (carrying an injury), I'm not sure which. I believe being put through a mini preseason probably benefits him more than playing reserves.
*McCluggage has always been a wing. Never had a problem finding the ball as a wing, and playing at an AA level. Trying to make him an inside mid is hurting the team.
*Time to try a smaller forward line, with to half forwards who can play up the ground supporting the midfield, and are good running back to goal. And hopefully leave space for our two talls to lead in to.
*Robertson or Lyons as the bench mid. Lyons is better at stoppages, but that's not our problem, defending the opposition run and spread is, and Lyons can't defend that.
*Sharp is a winger. He's our best runner, and when selected, roles back to help the defense.
*I'd almost pick Ah Chee to play half back if Coleman can't get out of his funk. He's the perfect sub as he can play on all 3 lines.

Yeah this is my team too basically. Obviously we need more run, particularly on the wings of the bigger MCG ground. The team needs a shake up because it doesn’t matter how good they are at the Gabba or anywhere else, if they still can’t win, even stay in it at the MCG then this isn’t the side to go with moving forward.

All the building blokes are there, it just needs some tweaks. And given we need run, a smaller forward line really helps with that. The only real question mark I have is who is going to give us our best run on the wings and the fourth small forward.

Berry has to go. Either he gets to 100% with that shoulder outside the team or he doesn’t get picked. If he does get the shoulder right, what an asset for finals. In the mean time throw the carrot out to Madden, Sharp and Fletcher and see who wants it the most. That’s your other winter along with McCluggage.

I also wouldn’t be against finding a spot for Mathieson, we need a psycho in this team.

Yeah this is my team too basically. Obviously we need more run, particularly on the wings of the bigger MCG ground. The team needs a shake up because it doesn’t matter how good they are at the Gabba or anywhere else, if they still can’t win, even stay in it at the MCG then this isn’t the side to go with moving forward.

All the building blokes are there, it just needs some tweaks. And given we need run, a smaller forward line really helps with that. The only real question mark I have is who is going to give us our best run on the wings and the fourth small forward.

Berry has to go. Either he gets to 100% with that shoulder outside the team or he doesn’t get picked. If he does get the shoulder right, what an asset for finals. In the mean time throw the carrot out to Madden, Sharp and Fletcher and see who wants it the most. That’s your other winter along with McCluggage.

I also wouldn’t be against finding a spot for Mathieson, we need a psycho in this team.
Mathieson = poor man's Lyons.

Long term, I have Fletcher as a best 22 wing or half back. But not this year.

Mathieson = poor man's Lyons.

Long term, I have Fletcher as a best 22 wing or half back. But not this year.
What I like about Fletcher is that he is kicking 1 or two goals per week which is valuable as a wingman. I haven’t seen him play that much so what is his defensive pressure like ? Is he a two way runner?

McKenna, Payne, Wilmott
Zorko, Hipwood, Bailey

Notes:
I like that side and the reasoning behind it briz ... my only question is what is this "funk" thing that Kiddy can't get out of?:think:

I like that side and the reasoning behind it briz ... my only question is what is this "funk" thing that Kiddy can't get out of?:think:
I heard it's Blake.

As a wise man once said, the funk's your brother. Check it out now.

I heard it's Blake.

As a wise man once said, the funk's your brother. Check it out now.
I did google funk in case I was missing something and it came up with >

1. a style of popular dance music of US black origin, based on elements of blues and soul and having a strong rhythm that typically accentuates the first beat in the bar.
"a mixture of punk and funk"
DATED•INFORMAL
a strong musty smell of sweat or tobacco.
"our sweat mingles, but the funk makes my stomach dizzy"

What I found on the Urban dictionary I wont post.

I did google funk in case I was missing something and it came up with >

1. a style of popular dance music of US black origin, based on elements of blues and soul and having a strong rhythm that typically accentuates the first beat in the bar.
"a mixture of punk and funk"
DATED•INFORMAL
a strong musty smell of sweat or tobacco.
"our sweat mingles, but the funk makes my stomach dizzy"

What I found on the Urban dictionary I wont post.

I still have concerns on his fitness. He does struggle to run out games and his defensive pressure can drop off late in games. Again its not a huge problem but when everything falls apart he can get exposed a bit like Rich (not to the same extent though)

I still have concerns on his fitness. He does struggle to run out games and his defensive pressure can drop off late in games. Again its not a huge problem but when everything falls apart he can get exposed a bit like Rich (not to the same extent though)
That makes me question if we should be using our sub differently then. At his best and when he has energy he brings enough to the table IMO to play him knowing he will be subbed off at some stage barring injury. Ah Chee would be an excellent sub and we have a couple others who could play at HB as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes me question if we should be using our sub differently then. At his best and when he has energy he brings enough to the table IMO to play him knowing he will be subbed off at some stage barring injury. Ah Chee would be an excellent sub and we have a couple others who could play at HB as well.
We are really bad at using our subs. Both in who we select and when we use them in game.

Its often the "23rd man" (Fort, Madden, Coleman, etc) who are generally not flexible players and then risk getting stuck if the "wrong" position gets hurt. We should be looking flexible players like Ah Chee or Lester. Or pick a real impact player and put them into the middle.

We also have weird games where we have waited a long time to make a sub. ie Covid Essendon game we had a hobbled Adams stay on the ground for way too long while we had excess tall backs and were getting killed for run while Matho was sub. Im pretty sure its happened this year as well where we have waited to well into the last quarter and then shoved a player on a wing or flank where they get lost and barely work into the game.

Ideal team come finals

McKenna, Payne, Coleman
McCluggage, Ashcroft, Fletcher
Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey

Wilmott, Robertson, Lyons, Fort
Sub: Zorko

Ideal team come finals

McKenna, Payne, Coleman
Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey

I'd still have Berry in for Lyons.

McKenna, Payne, Coleman
Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey

Wilmott, Robertson, Berry, Fort

Ideal team come finals

McKenna, Payne, Coleman
Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey

Love this team. Well done! The only thing I might do differently is swap Ah Chee for Fletcher, depending how Fletcher goes over the next month.

See it really isn’t that hard.

Last edited:
We are really bad at using our subs. Both in who we select and when we use them in game.

Its often the "23rd man" (Fort, Madden, Coleman, etc) who are generally not flexible players and then risk getting stuck if the "wrong" position gets hurt. We should be looking flexible players like Ah Chee or Lester. Or pick a real impact player and put them into the middle.

We also have weird games where we have waited a long time to make a sub. ie Covid Essendon game we had a hobbled Adams stay on the ground for way too long while we had excess tall backs and were getting killed for run while Matho was sub. Im pretty sure its happened this year as well where we have waited to well into the last quarter and then shoved a player on a wing or flank where they get lost and barely work into the game.
So true.

We seem to have ZERO tactical element to our sub. Surely the bets approach would be - okay we have struggled to convert opportunities, we need a forward to bring on v Adelaide... we went with James Madden.

Against hawks okay they have a young fast midfield we need someone to come on to change the look of that because that's our vulnerability - no let's drop Kiddy and make him sub.

And we always wait so long to do it. If we are struggling it should be a 5-10 minutes after 3qt sub, and player x should be told they will be subbed - they can go hell for leather knowing they won't have to run out the game. If they somehow catch fire and kick a couple fine change the plan.

Another thing with subs (which isnt just an us thing) is that it seems to take ages to actually get them on the pitch. I would have thought teams would want to get the fresh legs on to impact as soon as possible. Instead they get told they are going on so go do some run throughs and warm up (fair enough) but then they seem to go and sit on the bench with the other players and wait. Why arent you trying to get them on as soon as possible?

So true.

We seem to have ZERO tactical element to our sub. Surely the bets approach would be - okay we have struggled to convert opportunities, we need a forward to bring on v Adelaide... we went with James Madden.

Against hawks okay they have a young fast midfield we need someone to come on to change the look of that because that's our vulnerability - no let's drop Kiddy and make him sub.

And we always wait so long to do it. If we are struggling it should be a 5-10 minutes after 3qt sub, and player x should be told they will be subbed - they can go hell for leather knowing they won't have to run out the game. If they somehow catch fire and kick a couple fine change the plan.
I get that we and everyone else are still finding their way with the sub. At a guess I would say that we wait so long in case their is an injury. But I’m not sure if that is the correct way to go. My thinking is that you could aim for 1/2 time or mid 3rd quarter and tell someone who’s tank isn’t the best, say Rayner go nuts in the middle, run as hard as you can, you’re only playing the first half. I’m not saying that is the right way but it would be good to maybe have a play around so the fresh legs can impact the game as much as possible and so can the guy you’re going to sub off.

I get that we and everyone else are still finding their way with the sub. At a guess I would say that we wait so long in case their is an injury. But I’m not sure if that is the correct way to go. My thinking is that you could aim for 1/2 time or mid 3rd quarter and tell someone who’s tank isn’t the best, say Rayner go nuts in the middle, run as hard as you can, you’re only playing the first half. I’m not saying that is the right way but it would be good to maybe have a play around so the fresh legs can impact the game as much as possible and so can the guy you’re going to sub off.
Yeah I was thinking the same after reading the above comments, but I guess what happens if someone's having a real stinker and the plan changes. Surely at half time you can make the call and plan something like this for the last 10 or so minutes of the 3rd, but maybe it's too rigid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back