Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

In Fages' press conference one of the reporters said that Malthouse had commented that Fages had aged three years since becoming a coach. Thought that was a bit rough, it's one of the least impactful transitions I can recall, he looks the same as he did when he started imo. Gives every single impression of a man that just loves being a coach and relishing it.

In Fages' press conference one of the reporters said that Malthouse had commented that Fages had aged three years since becoming a coach. Thought that was a bit rough, it's one of the least impactful transitions I can recall, he looks the same as he did when he started imo. Gives every single impression of a man that just loves being a coach and relishing it.

Probably less stress from non-footy sources at that age without young kids and being better setup financially.

I find it interesting you can see the change when Fagan came in

I always thought we used to give away more frees because we were always second to the footy rather than just bad luck.

Stef is probably responsible for our free kick differential this season.

Based on those numbers, on a pro-rated basis each of the four northern states clubs are in the bottom six for free kick differential per season, with Hawthorn and Fremantle the other two.

The date range makes a big difference to this though; starting from 2003 instead of 2004 pushes Essendon a lot further down. Hawthorn would be solidly in the middle if we just looked at the last seven or eight years of data, instead of second last from sixteen years.

There are so many individual factors pushing these numbers around it's difficult to draw too many conclusions; for one thing, I'm struggling to convince myself there's a good reason why Fremantle are at the bottom end of the scale if home ground advantage is the reason West Coast are at the top of the scale.

Nevertheless, I'd suggest frontier clubs - as usual - are slightly disadvantaged. All these disadvantages that individually are small enough to ignore cumulatively amount to a real problem, in my opinion.

North’s position speaks to their well-cultivated victim complex quite nicely as well.

I also note that in the incredibly brief period that Hawthorn were slightly positive in differential they
managed to pick up #freekickhawthorn where certain other clubs maintain a massive positive differential without attracting the banter. Very interesting...

I had already seen the differentials for 2016, but don't think I'll let an opportunity go past to point out how "lucky" the Bulldogs were in getting to and winning their Premiership. Rort.

Can't believe Daniel Rich turned 28 yesterday... His 2009 season promised so much. It's probably still his most consistently impactful season he's had for us.

I'm struggling to think of a career comparison? Travis Johnstone maybe?

I could see Rich being delisted by age of 30 due to younger players taking his spot as we push for the top 8 in two years time.

Can't believe Daniel Rich turned 28 yesterday... His 2009 season promised so much. It's probably still his most consistently impactful season he's had for us.

I could see Rich being delisted by age of 30 due to younger players taking his spot as we push for the top 8 in two years time.
He's contracted through to the end of the 2021 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still has 3 more years on his contract.

I find it interesting you can see the change when Fagan came in
And possibly when the Scott brothers, Martin Pyke and Mal Michael left.

I reckon Richy will rise with the group. Not surprising that his best seasons have been 2009, 2012, and 2013. Definitely a 'Cherry on top' sort of player.

He's contracted through to the end of the 2021 season.
He still has 3 more years on his contract.
I thought he was OOC in 2020,woops.
I reckon Richy will rise with the group. Not surprising that his best seasons have been 2009, 2012, and 2013. Definitely a 'Cherry on top' sort of player.
I have my doubts tbh, I think he will just keep the same output even in a better team. I can imagine if another player like Witherden comes along, Rich will be become less of a commodity and more of a fill in player.

I just get the feeling his career will just fizzle out in the end.

Is Tim Notting another good comparison?

I've been a vocal critic of Rich.

So often he looks like he's in cruise mode, and can often be another one way player.

I know he has it in him to be an effective two way player, as he has played the occasional game where he really does work hard defensively. However his lack of pace does let him and the team down, particularly when playing as a defender.

It won't be his skills that will eventually see him out of the team, like Lester, it will be his lack of pace, and being overtaken by a younger player.

Purple trying to set the agenda again, Target- Chris Fagan

If- every coach gets a honeymoon period...

then- Chris Fagan's is now over.

Strange target. Would have thought there were a few other coaches still under way more pressure than him at this stage

He might come under pressure if we suffer a few big losses to finish the year. We're likely to finish with less wins than last season which is never a good look for a coach.

He might come under pressure if we suffer a few big losses to finish the year. We're likely to finish with less wins than last season which is never a good look for a coach.
Even then I'd say the pressure would only start to realistically build next year. That's when we should start to see more in the way of results

Even then I'd say the pressure would only start to realistically build next year. That's when we should start to see more in the way of results

Bit of a difference between the honeymoon period ending and pressure starting to build.

We might start losing the generally positive media reporting we've been getting.

The form of any side can change, week to week, but really, the only teams we should have beaten this year are St Kilda and Gold Coast. Now with Caneron and Robinson out, things are a bit harder.
Barrett is talking out of his arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back