Review Rd 1, 2019: Freo destroy the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to tell on TV but I reckon we were a lot more direct. Less chipping around the backline (almost none really) or switching. It was basically take the game at speed, through the corridor if available or go fast down the line to a contest. Don't hold the ball up at any point. Previously we would like to hold up to force a contest where we could get a stoppage (2012-2015) or in the last few years we would look to switch if we couldn't move forward.

I reckon it resembles Richmond the most but a little more structured. They are gung-ho, go forward however you can.
I dont consider myself to be very good at spotting different tactics but the last few years have been so interesting to watch Richmond since its so blaringly different. They literally dont care where the ball goes as long as its forward. The ball just gets poked, proded and pinged forward until its close to goal with the idea being to move it as fast as they possible can to get someone 1 on 1 or 2 on 2. They are like last on disposal efficiency to highlight how different they are

17kms!!! Wow, thats insane. Good on him if the penny has dropped. Will be a force getting to be the 3rd/4th fiddle. ******* exciting
(hope I got the stat right).

Re the discussion about what was different, some things I'd highlight beyond the obvious change to the forward line;
  • Pearce streaming from defence in full attack mode was a sight to behold, and while he was especially eye catching this is exactly what the club has been pushing towards during the rebuild.
  • a decent 2nd ruck kept us in attack frame for more of the game.
  • Far less kicking backwards and across in defence as signaled during the pre-season games.

I dont consider myself to be very good at spotting different tactics but the last few years have been so interesting to watch Richmond since its so blaringly different. They literally dont care where the ball goes as long as its forward. The ball just gets poked, proded and pinged forward until its close to goal with the idea being to move it as fast as they possible can to get someone 1 on 1 or 2 on 2. They are like last on disposal efficiency to highlight how different they are
We haven't been like them in the past (and we are definitely not as scrappy in a good way) but we just kept going forward. They are the only other team I can think of that goes fast forward all the time.

Doubt we will do it as well against the better teams but I don't mind the style. Kind of plays to our current strengths.

Also anyone have the stats on when the last time we scored 140 points was? And also the last time we smashed a team by over 80 points?

It's hard to tell on TV but I reckon we were a lot more direct. Less chipping around the backline (almost none really) or switching. It was basically take the game at speed, through the corridor if available or go fast down the line to a contest. Don't hold the ball up at any point. Previously we would like to hold up to force a contest where we could get a stoppage (2012-2015) or in the last few years we would look to switch if we couldn't move forward.

I reckon it resembles Richmond the most but a little more structured. They are gung-ho, go forward however you can.

Yeah I was at the game and I totally agree with that. Langdon and especially Hill were massive in drifting around and keeping the ball moving forwards. The speed of ball movement had the added benefit as well of giving the forwards more of a chance in space/in genuine 1 v 1's which Cam in particular took advantage of. Ryan/A.Pearce were massive in defence and would look to move it forwards the moment they took possession (instead of chipping it around and inevitably loosing possession). Pearce looked Rance-like out-there, particularly in the 1st half.

Really enjoyed it and it's shown me that Ross does have it in him to change things up. Don't think we'll see that every week (they were very gassed by the end and better teams may be able to take advantage) but it's definitely something to build on over the season.

Ross praised Montana in his presser. He must be vital for the homework he does for Ross
Came on here to say the same thing. RTB singled out Montagna as being spot on in his assessment of North. Ross also spoke with some feedback of GCS game today, so Montagna was obviously taking notes of the St Kilda vs GCS game today and prob had a quick chat to him between the end of the game and the presser. I have always enjoyed Mr Montagna’s thoughts on Fox Footy. Reckon we have a great appt with this one.

Also anyone have the stats on when the last time we scored 140 points was? And also the last time we smashed a team by over 80 points?
2016 we beat Brisbane by 83.

We put on 147 that game, that was the last time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(hope I got the stat right).

Re the discussion about what was different, some things I'd highlight beyond the obvious change to the forward line;
  • Pearce streaming from defence in full attack mode was a sight to behold, and while he was especially eye catching this is exactly what the club has been pushing towards during the rebuild.
  • a decent 2nd ruck kept us in attack frame for more of the game.
  • Far less kicking backwards and across in defence as signaled during the pre-season games.
Mccarthy did 14.6kms - 3rd highest on the ground

Darcy got better the longer the game went which was a good sign. He had 5 centre clearances - his follow up work was really strong after the ruck contest.
I think his mobility and follow-up work is actually very under-rated, or maybe I'm just projecting since I noticed it a lot today. For such a massive dude is clean at ground level and quick with hands and feet. He'll never be Grundy level athletic but if everything goes well he'll have the physicality of Mumford with mobility of say Goldy. Not bad for a fat kid no one rated

2016 we beat Brisbane by 83.

We put on 147 that game, that was the last time.
Brisbane were awful that year. This is a much better win.

How flat must he North fans be? Get all those big recruits then get absolutely pantsed in round 1. They'll bascially have to finish a game clear of 9th to get into finals because they'll be trawling back the % all season.

If they don't they have wasted their time. Their young guys won't improve as fast as the older players decline you wouldn't think.

Cerra is used in the wrong position. He’s built to get in the middle. Harsh on him, just playing the role he gets
Not being harsh on Cerra at all. He is a young guy who doesn't seem to have built the tank required to play midfield full time. Until then he gets some other responsibilities, which are also great for his development, and also gets some midfield time.

Colyer is a winger right? But there he is playing wherever the team needs him.

Cerra's use and clean hands meant whenever he was near it he appeared to make something happen. Colyer's big contribution was making the space for North disappear with hard running, if he had clean hands and elite kicking we'd never get him for a 4th round pick.
Correct you are on Colyer. Similar role that Mzungu played in his 72 games between 2012-2014.

Ben Brown is a ******* crab of the highest order

Manufactured player, spends more time flopping than playing the game and owes about 80% of the goals he's kicked the last few years to the umpires

Disgusting player

Cerra did some good things.

He got as far forward at one point to be in the goal square in the last quarter jumping up in front of a couple of North defenders for the ball and handing it off to Walters for a goal and what about the left foot pass he speared into Tucker inside 50m when North had all their players back inside 50m when he might have just blazed to the square.

Another passage I loved was in the 2nd quarter when he was out on the wing under a bit of pressure in front of a couple of North players facing away from goals and he went one way then the other to buy himself time to turn and deliver inside 50.

Last edited:
I like the way we kicked to Tabs as the marking target, and McCarthy as the leading target, with Lobb just free read the play and float in from the side where he can.

This is exactly the sort of game I was hoping that McCarthy could play for Freo. Playing this leading role he brings other forwards into the game.

I thought Mundy and Hill were awesome too. Mundy's pin-point kicks are just a joy to behold. Hill was everywhere, even some of his kicks were too.

Genuine question: what was the big difference in the game plan from the past few years to today? The main difference I saw was that we had players playing in their natural position and the player’s understood their role, executing the game plan? It seemed like a high pressure, well structured team with good skills was the difference between kicking 141 points and 40 points for a game? And we did t take the foot off the pedal at half time; we had 75 points and finished with 141.

My answer :
1. Tabs played round 1 -5 (injured round 5 vs Bulldogs early on 5 marks). We were 3 wins 2 losses. He was averaging 7 marks a game.
2. McCarthy takes a year off 2016, comes in 2017 and repeats his 2015. In 2018 he repeats the same output and fans are outraged. How can he not go from a 3rd tall under Cameran and Paton, to a first tall under not even Taberner, and not be as good??? Problem is with fans and the team, not the coach, not him, just the fact that he takes on the best defender in the AFL for that team every week.
3. The fastest horse will normally win the race. A game plan can only work if you have the skills to perform. Today, I witnessed some amazing skills starting with Alex Pearce. He set the tone, and he set the confidence. Brad Hill also kept running and running. The others started running, and then the marks started happening, and it was contagious. This will not happen every week with this group. Our group is simply overall older, stronger, and has better players. I was surprised by the odds and did quite well off this game. I found it ridiculous we were not favorite and could not understand. This is the strongest team we have fielded in 2 years IMO.
4. Lobb was a big difference. He draws 2 people, and we counter attack. Our counter attack game was amazing. We play the talls, but sometimes we just ignore them, and we have stopped the ridiculous "switch" play which never worked for us. We backed ourselves and it worked. We also did not bomb it constantly into the forward line. Step up Cam kicking 5 straight from 50m+ (maybe 4?)

My questions : I cannot remember going on with a win like that since our GF appearance year (and the year after).
We never got challenged in today's match. My question is, can we sustain that style if we are getting beaten, or seriously challenged? Is it a kamikaze style football that is risky, or is it what we want? Will the daggers come out for Ross and players when we lose? Who are the targets for angry fans when our team has an off match? How long does a honeymoon last? I expect us to be 3-0. Then I will take a positive ledger from there.

Sometimes I think we are turning into wet blanket fans though. Even the moans on plays today when they did not come off. Some of it was just exciting and harlem globetrotter like. I loved it. Reminded me of the Chilsom\ Neesham years. What joy that was, even in defeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back