Preview Freo VS Port - Round 1 (team post #467 page 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think that Port are being unnecessarily risky if they play all of Hartlett, Wingard, Trengrove, Ryder and Monfries? None of these guys have played a game this pre-season. Most importantly, Ryder hasn't played a game in the Port system. Hinkley has said himself that Ryder is somewhat of an unknown- and that he will have to grow with the team and the team with him.

There is the potential for a lack of "chemistry" (for a want of a better word) with these 5 underdone players and the rest of the team....

Like us, Port have a tough first 4-5 games. Might as well start playing them round 1 if they think they'll need them for all the games.

I heard a story yesterday whilst at training that apparently they were testing the P.A. system at Subi yesterday in order to get the ground ready for Sunday's game. In order to sound check the PA system they played to Freo team song to test the volume levels.

The only issue was that the Eagles were having a closed training session at the same time. As soon as the music started blaring players began dropping marks, missing targets and Luke Shuey was seen leaving the ground in tears. Andrew Gaff had to be coaxed out of the dug out and Chris Masten was curled up in the foetal position rocking backwards and forwards on the ground.

The Eagles hierarchy weren't happy at all and made and official complaint to the ground manager's office. The music was pretty soon shut off and the Eagles resumed their training in silence.

Last edited:

I heard a story yesterday whilst at training that apparently they were testing the P.A. system at Subi yesterday in order to get the ground ready for Sunday's game. In order to sound check the PA system they played to Freo team song to test the volume levels.

The only issue was that the Eagles were having a closed training session at the same time. As soon as the music started blaring players began dropping marks, missing targets and Luke Shuey was seen leaving the ground in tears. Andrew Gaff had to be coxed out of the dug out and Chris Masten was curled up in the foetal position rocking backwards and forwards on the ground.

The Eagles hierarchy weren't happy at all and made and official complaint to the ground manager's office. The music was pretty soon shut off and the Eagles resumed their training in silence.
And Jack Darling threw his head back for seemingly no reason

Fireworks!!! Pffft. Why not haul a bloody great rock, with an anchor embedded in it, onto the oval before every home game? Failing that what's wrong with dancing girls performing in the centre square after every Freo goal. And get rid of the little league kids at half time. Nude ice skating would be much more entertaining.

Do they really? That's pretty bad if true.

It's major cringeworthy.
One of my mates works at Adelaide Oval and was working in the scoreboard for the first Crows home game. He fell down the stairs when the "ka kaw!!" blasted out from the speaker right behind his ears. Still gets me every time.

Should be a cracker on Sunday, true 50/50 game, almost impossible to pick.

Like us, Port have a tough first 4-5 games. Might as well start playing them round 1 if they think they'll need them for all the games.

Well said. We need those blokes playing well and firing for the next for or 5 games and they're only going to get there by playing. Might mean we loose sunday but we will be better prepared for the next week - as will your mob.

Anyone else think that Port are being unnecessarily risky if they play all of Hartlett, Wingard, Trengrove, Ryder and Monfries? None of these guys have played a game this pre-season. Most importantly, Ryder hasn't played a game in the Port system. Hinkley has said himself that Ryder is somewhat of an unknown- and that he will have to grow with the team and the team with him.

There is the potential for a lack of "chemistry" (for a want of a better word) with these 5 underdone players and the rest of the team....
You've got to realise we have no reserves game this week. As such if we don't play these guys this week they will not get game time and game conditioning. Yes we'd love to beat you this week but obviously with a very tough first 5 games our priority has to be to get our best side in and work them into form and fitness. If we lose, we lose, but at least when we face Sydney next week we will have our strongest side on the park.

As long as we don't start playing thunder clap, lion's roaring or fanfares over the loud speakers after every goal, I don't really mind. It's a little bit tacky, though.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot the worst one; Adelaide playing the "kaw kaw" of a crow after every goal. Absolutely cringe worthy.

Sounds very Graham Kennedy.... Faaaaaaaarrrrkkkk!

Port's team has been announced already:

FB: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Jackson Trengove
HB: Jasper Pittard, Tom Jonas, Matthew Broadbent
C: Jared Polec, Brad Ebert, Matt White
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard
FF: Matthew Lobbe, Jay Schulz, Jake Neade
R: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Ollie Wines
Interchange from: John Butcher, Kane Cornes, Hamish Hartlett, Jarman Impey, Kane Mitchell, Angus Monfries, Aaron Young

Into 25 (from PF 2014): Butcher, Mitchell, Impey, Young, Ryder
Out: O’Shea, Moore

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-04-02/selection-round-1-port

I know they have to do it, but I feel the decision to play all of Ryder, Monfries, Wingard, Hartlett and Trengove makes them slightly vulnerable this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakely is in the squad. Our only new player.

No Taberner in the squad, but Barlow, Ballaz, Duffield and Mzungu are in it.

Fireworks!!! Pffft. Why not haul a bloody great rock, with an anchor embedded in it, onto the oval before every home game? Failing that what's wrong with dancing girls performing in the centre square after every Freo goal. And get rid of the little league kids at half time. Nude ice skating would be much more entertaining.
You sound like you've put a lot of thought into it :thumbsu:

I think the defensive match ups will be:

Ibbotson on Westhoff
McPharlin on Shultz
Clancee on Gray
Spurr on Neade
Johnson on Ryder/Lobbe
Sutty on Wingard

Great reward for Connor but I don't think he will play Ross feels some are underdone. If Wingard gets off the chain, I'd send Mayne back to play on him. I doubt Clancee will line up on him and Sutty has struggled the past couple of times he has played on him.

Cutting that bench down is a tough task, my guess is de Boer, Duffield and Blakekly to miss out.

Just the one recognised key forward and MJ playing as our second tall defender, should have plenty of run at least...
I'd play Blakely, so Mundy can go back if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back