Friday Night Footy - Geelong vs St Kilda, Rnd 14 2009 (yes, this thread is in 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this current hiatus, Channel 7 is digging into the footy vault to bring us some of the best games from previous years and the starting point is showing Geelong on a Friday night

Tune in to the 7Mate, jump on the forum and discuss the match

The result?

;)

Taylor's concussion was the biggest negative of the match and while the result wasn't what we would have wanted, it was still a really good match

Plus the rematch later that year had an even better result - may have to make that next week's match discussion

What's not to like about Friday night footy

I was at this match with numerous family members - will never forget it- never seen anything like it at a H&A -the rumble of noise, the atmosphere from first bounce to the final siren. Didn’t relax for a second. It was extraordinary thing to be apart of. ( even if I was just a spectator ).
Thanks cats_09.

During this current hiatus, Channel 7 is digging into the footy vault to bring us some of the best games from previous years and the starting point is showing Geelong on a Friday night

Tune in to the 7Mate, jump on the forum and discuss the match

Fox Footy are using 2020 commentators to commentate past games in place of the real stuff, last night it was 2016 Pies v Tigers.

Not sure which Cats-Gold Coast game they will use, most likely the Bennell game or an Ablett returns to KP.

Would've smashed them if Otto was playing. Doubt Gardiner would've booted 4 goals playing on him. :cool:

This game was played on Fox Footy plenty of times in the offseason, the sight of Blake running like a T-Rex trying to stop that Gardiner mark still makes one shake their head.

I was at this match with numerous family members - will never forget it- never seen anything like it at a H&A -the rumble of noise, the atmosphere from first bounce to the final siren. Didn’t relax for a second. It was extraordinary thing to be apart of. ( even if I was just a spectator ).
Thanks cats_09.
I wasn't a member at the time but was able to buy a single ticket - happened to be in the middle of a St Kilda members area

Full credit to the their members I was sitting near as there was good banter and a bit of fun - I didn't have to deal with any real arrogance or negativity

And totally agree, it was an amazing match to be at

I wasn't a member at the time but was able to buy a single ticket - happened to be in the middle of a St Kilda members area

Full credit to the their members I was sitting near as there was good banter and a bit of fun - I didn't have to deal with any real arrogance or negativity

And totally agree, it was an amazing match to be at
It was so intense it would have been hard to take your eyes off the game. I’ve generally found saint supporters to be pretty reasonable and a bit more varied than some other fan bases.

Fox Footy are using 2020 commentators to commentate past games in place of the real stuff, last night it was 2016 Pies v Tigers.

Not sure which Cats-Gold Coast game they will use, most likely the Bennell game or an Ablett returns to KP.

Cool, thanks for the info - looks to be scheduled for 1pm Sunday

Will wait until tomorrow to get something up for that

I remember the game well, flew over to watch it not really knowing what to expect.
Was interesting because I felt for the first time in 2 and a half years the Cats had met their match, and the first quarter kinda showed the players thought the same, they were super nervous, slow and indecisive with the ball which hadn't happened before (or really for a while afterwards).
The way we reeled them in, especially that last quarter, geez we played some amazing footy that night.
Shame for Mark Blake being a spud though....

Cool, thanks for the info - looks to be scheduled for 1pm Sunday

Will wait until tomorrow to get something up for that

No problem.

Also for anyone interested, Foxtel is showing classic cricket games on the cricket channel (from when cricket was actually interesting for me) and ESPN is showing classic March Madness games from the vault.

Taylor's concussion was the biggest negative of the match and while the result wasn't what we would have wanted, it was still a really good match

Plus the rematch later that year had an even better result - may have to make that next week's match discussion

Stevie J was a late omission as well as far as I recall. We just looked all at sea and got smashed in that first quarter. Chappy had a good game (I think?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember at the 2009 Grand final they had the season's results for both sides on the big screen before the match. The roar from the saints fans when round 14 popped up on the screen was their biggest excitement of the day!

Just trying to find the actual game day fred and so far only found these two

Love the thread asking for the game to be moved to the MCG.

I remember in 2010 our games was at the G and it was empty in comparison, think it got less than the Telstra Dome 2009 game.

Edit: AFL Tables: 2009 crowd 54,444, 2010 crowd 58,208 So pretty much the same

"

Well doesn't this show up Chris Scott for being lost in nostalgic la-la land.

2017-19 Tigers would annihilate both these Geelong and Saints teams, their defensive structures wouldn't cope with chaos counter-attacks, there is space everywhere!!

(not knocking the sides, who were great in their era, but they wouldn't beat the top side today)"

"

Well doesn't this show up Chris Scott for being lost in nostalgic la-la land.

2017-19 Tigers would annihilate both these Geelong and Saints teams, their defensive structures wouldn't cope with chaos counter-attacks, there is space everywhere!!

(not knocking the sides, who were great in their era, but they wouldn't beat the top side today)"
Yeah nah you don't really think that do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back