Rumour Gaff to Melbourne with a side trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing to do with money-its mum first. he is that kid of caring person. The eagles understand this and have thus facilitated the movement to Melbourne with a side trade to ensure win-win

I think he is their only kid.

Single kids and single kid parents behave strangely. Like dog people. Or cyclists.

Like Dangerfield!

This is all about a restricted free agent remember.

Teams are allowed to match and force a trade. Thats the system.

A player can get to where they want to but the club losing that player gets compensated appropriately.

If that cant happen why have restricted free agents? Whats the point?

Yes, but the thing about it is that if someone calls your bluff, you're stuck paying a significant amount to a player who doesn't really want to be at your club.

Dangerfield was the exception, and even then the trade was 'cheap'. VERY few players get matched.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that this deal with the Dees was apparently finalised two weeks ago, but the footy media are all still reporting that it's 50/50 whether Gaff stays or goes, and if he goes there's still a number of other Vic clubs in the running.

They must have some terrible sources.

I'm amazed that this deal with the Dees was apparently finalised two weeks ago, but the footy media are all still reporting that it's 50/50 whether Gaff stays or goes, and if he goes there's still a number of other Vic clubs in the running.

They must have some terrible sources.

Yes because footy media is all about telling truth.

Yes, but the think about it is that if someone calls your bluff, you're stuck paying a significant amount to a player who doesn't really want to be at your club.

Dangerfield was the exception, and even then the trade was 'cheap'. VERY few players get matched.

Not when multiple Melbourne based teams would want that player.

In any case the club wont match because player and club would agree to a trade and not eexcercise his rfa rights.

Just like Dangerfield did.

If Gaff goes I certainly wont be sorry, he gets a million possessions normally in the back half and only this year has started to damage on the score board. Bring in Ainsworth or Petrucelle for some leg speed and he wont be missed imo.

Yes, but the thing about it is that if someone calls your bluff, you're stuck paying a significant amount to a player who doesn't really want to be at your club.

But when it comes to high quality players, it's not a `bluff`. It's more about seeking better compo potentially.

For ease of argument say Essendon come over the top and get Gaff.

Gaff to Essendon as a free agent nets the Eagles pick 18 as compo (if they finish runner up). Eagles match and ask for pick 12. Essendon would be moronic not to give that up for a player of his iik, it's still well unders but it's 6 picks higher and slightly weakens the players new club (no 1st rounder).
Much like Crows still got unders for Dangerfield BUT they got a better deal Than their potential FA compo and prevented Geelong from adding another 1st rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gaff goes I certainly wont be sorry, he gets a million possessions normally in the back half and only this year has started to damage on the score board. Bring in Ainsworth or Petrucelle for some leg speed and he wont be missed imo.

Usually you wait until the player has left before making some half assed twisted logic to say the loss of a top 20 in the comp player won't hurt you because you have two mid-30s draft picks who have played a handful of games waiting in the wings!

Only difference is that he also gets it a million times elsewhere. 1 in 4.5 possessions end up as score involvements. That’s a fact.

He only has 1.9 rebound fifties and 3.9 inside fifties.

So yeh, he won’t be missed.

Usually you wait until the player has left before making some half assed twisted logic to say the loss of a top 20 in the comp player won't hurt you because you have two mid-30s draft picks who have played a handful of games waiting in the wings!
WCE and arrogance who would have thought it.

If that's true, matching the bid would mean that WCE would have the possibility of ending up with a player who doesn't want to be there.

There is a reason bids don't get matched.

Why have restricted free agency then?

WTF, gotta be a piss take or you've been hacked by a freo supporter..

I want Gaff to leave, its like when Priddis left us...we are better for it.

salt-shaker_1f9c2.png

It is a view held by quite a few

Last edited:
I'm gonna assume it'll play out like this...

West Coast
IN: Tim Kelly
OUT: Andrew Gaff

Geelong

IN: Compensation pick
OUT: Tim Kelly

Melbourne
IN: Andrew Gaff (RFA)

That’s the rumour I heard today but with next years first, not the compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back