State of Origin Game 1: Queensland v New South Wales

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the Queensland way. They pick n stick. They could quite easily win the series yet. Only change I'd expect is Cronk out. Lillyman in. Obviously that's assuming everyone else is fit.

They'll need to lose the series for changes to be made.

What whinge?

It's common knowledge that there are passengers in the QLD team.

Hodges is just one player who shouldn't be in the origin side.

If Meninga was smart he'd play Chambers game 2.

You were cleaning out the side as soon as the game started

The biggest issue tonight was the loss of the number 7. Cherry boy just looked lost and the back line didn't click as a result.

The biggest issue tonight was the loss of the number 7. Cherry boy just looked lost and the back line didn't click as a result.

I was cleaning it out a year ago when it was evident NSW were getting better and QLD wasn't changing.

Yeah, suspect they didn't do much planning revolving around him being the main half, not just being a run-on injection player.

Refs tried to get Qld home in the last 5 minutes. Josh Reynolds for MOTM. I love Josh Morris.

There was some very strange decisions that went Qld's way at the end of that game. Lucky the result held as if they had scored after that last one (knock on call after the kick off the ground), you would think the fix was on.

There was some very strange decisions that went Qld's way at the end of that game. Lucky the result held as if they had scored after that last one (knock on call after the kick off the ground), you would think the fix was on.
Few dodgy calls during the game that went both ways. But the knock-on call you referred to was diabolical. Had that resulted in a Queensland win, well, there would probably have been a riot.

I'm so going to love going to work in the morning. I might need to wear my Blues jumper again(wore it today).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly tough game. Amazing defensive effort. Not sure what the ref's were smoking in the last 10 minutes but * it almost sunk us. But * it we held on when so many times Queensland would have scored and won the game.

All eyes on the halves - Hodkinson didn't have a great game by any means. His main strength is his kicking but that let him down. The bombs to Topou weren't well placed, hit Slater on the **** numerous times - particularly as the game went on (not helped by being put under so much pressure), and missed a pretty easy kick at goal that could've been crucial... But everywhere else he was just solid and didn't make mistakes which is a big relief from the days of Pearce where you could see passes at the head, attacking kicks going harmlessly dead and so on. Worth going with until Adam Reynolds gets his s**t together or one of the even younger guys shows they are ready.

Reynolds - i liked his game. His kicking game early was good. As he tired in the second half his kicking game struggled. But his enthusiasm in defence was great. That tackle was ugly and I thought he was lucky not to get at least binned. On second viewing though it wasn't a malice spear and ultimately occured because he didn't realise Scott was gonna pull Tate down by the jumper and Scott didn't realise Reynolds was gonna go the lift. That said he'll probably cop a week or two cause you don't wanna see tackles like that.

After a bit of a shaky start Topou started making some nice runs and I think he's got Origin written over him once he gets more confidence. We need to get Jennings more involved, particularly in the second half as everyone started to tire and it was clear he was our freshest player on the park due to lack of involvement (not entirely his fault, just the way it goes in the backline sometimes). Luke Lewis - despite an ordinary drop towards the end - was as reliable as ever, must have made 10 metres most of the time he took a hit up at a time when we desperate for yards.

Lastly Hayne. Man what a great performance. A massive hand in both tries, incredibly smart thinking to get another set of six running through billy slater on the kick. On top of that he saved a certain try from McQueen just getting to the ball first and saved a potential try in the first half taking a grubber off his bootlaces on our tryline... It would've been unreal if he could've broken that Slater tackle and score one of Origins' great tries but regardless one of Origin's great performance. He was the difference.
NSW will want to be able to play better because even though they played well QLD played terrible and only just lost.
Whilst this is true there have also been origins in the past where the big Qld Five have played blinders, Pearce has been kicking them down Slater's throat all night and our myriad of five eights have been dropping ball left right and centre all night and the margin was only a handful of points Queensland to the good. Granted, there have also been games where that's happened and we've been pumped off the park by 20+.

Inglis needs cleaner ball and dead set if Thurston wasn't trying his best to lose the game....jeez!

Changes:

Out: Cronk (I'm actually happy as DCE should have been at 7), McQueen
In: Milford, Thaiday

Would consider Inglis at FB though.

I thought Hayne had given it to them, but stoked we held on.

Was great defence, particularly but not limited to the twins. So many times they had to defend on the line, and only let in 2 for the game. They must have been dead on their feet by the end.

So many times we have outplayed them and found a way to lose, or had the inevetible video ref give it away.

Great to take an early series lead now.

Last edited:
he's better at fullback but where's that leave slater? slater was outstanding tonight too. qld's second best behind matt scott for me.

Slater should be in the coaching box. Might have been QLD's 2nd best but he is too slow now. We sort of got away with it last year- but our best game was in game 3 when he was injured!

Sorry, Shane Hayne.
yep yep i see. that knock on call was beyond ****ed up. there was a few others. also hodges holding merrin (??) in on the tackle and milking the penalty. made more annoying by the pocket referee calling the milk.

from memory the only two qld could be pissed at was the Inglis in goal... I thought he kept it out of the in goal but it was 50-50. the other being reynolds pretty lucky not to spend 10 in the bin but i've made my full thoughts a few posts back. Hayne's try was a try. Thurstan fell off the tackle. Only just, but he didn't complete it and thus Hayne can go on.
Slater should be in the coaching box. Might have been QLD's 2nd best but he is too slow now. We sort of got away with it last year- but our best game was in game 3 when he was injured!
i dunno man he looked pretty sharp tonight. i agree inglis is better at fullback and i think he's taken over slater as a better fullback (just)... but slater fullback, inglis centre is better than inglis fullback and Chambers centre IMO.

It's a tough call because as we've seen many times over the years and again tonight the fullback can be such a potent attacking weapon.

what queensland served up tonight was as s**t as i've ever seen a rugby league side play.

(jeers also to the iq for not recording the last five minutes. piece of junk.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back