Geelong 2007 vs Hawthorn 2014 - who would win?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Um hodge and mitchell were at their peak in 2007-11. They are both retired whilst ablett and selwood still play. Ling tagged hodge out of almost every game. Mitchell played well against geelong though. Selwood and ablett both regularly dominated hawthorn.
Didn't Hodge win a Norm Smith against Geelong?

Well, Hawthorn would not be able to rush behinds in 2014 like they did in 2008 so I think that Geelong 2007 would win. Besides, Geelong lost in an upset against Hawthorn 2008.

On a side note, I don’t know why people discount the fact that upsets happen in finals/Grand Finals. People tend to make it out that the best team always wins. No they don’t. I think that Geelong 2008 was the best team but Hawthorn won. Adelaide 2017 was probably the best team but Richmond won. Richmond 2018 was the best team but Collingwood upset them in the PF. Sydney 2016 was the best team but Western Bulldogs upset them in the GF. I even thought that Adelaide’s 2006 team was the best (even though they finished 2nd to West Coast) but they got kicked out by West Coast in the PF.

I think there are so many examples of the best team not winning, so saying “Geelong 2007 could not beat Hawthorn 2008, so that means Hawthorn 2014 would beat them” does not hold up IMO.

Well, Hawthorn would not be able to rush behinds in 2014 like they did in 2008 so I think that Geelong 2007 would win. Besides, Geelong lost in an upset against Hawthorn 2008.

On a side note, I don’t know why people discount the fact that upsets happen in finals/Grand Finals. People tend to make it out that the best team always wins. No they don’t. I think that Geelong 2008 was the best team but Hawthorn won. Adelaide 2017 was probably the best team but Richmond won. Richmond 2018 was the best team but Collingwood upset them in the PF. Sydney 2016 was the best team but Western Bulldogs upset them in the GF. I even thought that Adelaide’s 2006 team was the best (even though they finished 2nd to West Coast) but they got kicked out by West Coast in the PF.

I think there are so many examples of the best team not winning, so saying “Geelong 2007 could not beat Hawthorn 2008, so that means Hawthorn 2014 would beat them” does not hold up IMO.
Geelong couldn't beat us in 2007 either just sayin'

Four grand finals each for three flags

thats 16 quarters

Geelong +23 +29 +38 +29 +1 -4 -14 -9 -2 -4 -1 +19 +1 -4 +10 +31 9 quarters won from 16 including 4 in 2007: you can win 2 flags in 5 quarters from 12
Hawthorn +19 -35 +15 -9 +12 +11 -13 +5 +20 +22 +12 +9 +19 +12 +19 -4 13 quarters won from 16

Pretty sure Hawthorn beat Geelong 4 out of 5 games played over 06 - 08. Geelong 07 weren't really that good - just ran into a speed bump in the 07 GF. The form guide also indicates that 08 wasn't really a shock result and that said game was on the way to a 10 goal blow out until the umpires started handing out goals late in the third to Geelong.

We played an injured stokes on hodge. Hasnt been a dumber grand final move since we played old man baristow on a wing against matera days after gettig kicked by a horse. Ling towelled hodge up in their next 10 games.
Wow, Lingy was towelling up Hodge even after he retired, great effort by Lingy!

Yep I remember now, Stokes and Co jabbing at Hodge's broken ribs pre game, Lingy played on Mitchell early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This
You have summed it up perfectly, upsets happen. Doesn’t mean they weren’t better.
I think the answer to who was better out of Geelong and Hawthorn is so damn obvious, however hawks did beat us in 08. They won fair and square btw but that frustrates me because the debate shouldn’t exist yet it does. We went in cocky.
Played over more matches is a more accurate reflection and 13 wins in a row demonstrated it.
We decline and they start winning.

The Hodge thing also drives me mad as i don’t ever remember worrying about him pre game ever, we had his measure.
What happens though? An injured Stokes plays on Hodge. Ellis was better and Dew turned the game, yet Hodge gets all the accolades.

Our dominance demonstrated by our % makes it obvious who is better.

We played an injured stokes on hodge. Hasnt been a dumber grand final move since we played old man baristow on a wing against matera days after gettig kicked by a horse. Ling towelled hodge up in their next 10 games.
Wow he managed to towel him up even in games he was retired for

Wow, Lingy was towelling up Hodge even after he retired, great effort by Lingy!

Yep I remember now, Stokes and Co jabbing at Hodge's broken ribs pre game, Lingy played on Mitchell early.

hodge offered the good side of his ribs for stokes to jab at. Sucked in

stokes Mooney lonergan injured Chapman and off their game Mooney and Johnson.

v buddy rough willo dew etc etc. looks less like a boil over as it recedes into history

Anyone who watched the game more than once and actually sat down and watched every single one of those rushed behinds with the express purpose of testing the validity of this theory (hey, how you doin'...) could tell you that the 3 instances of it happening before the game was broken in half by Stewie Dew were negligibly influential...at that point, Geelong were f###ed and we had it, and THEN we started walking across the goal line...

In all honesty, Hawthorn killed the kraken that day, and the best team in 2008 was Geelong. We were just equipped well enough for a boss battle on ultra-hard, and as you know, no one button mashes their way out of one of those - it takes concentration and discipline and often the learning of serious lessons on the way. No one with common sense thinks 2008 Hawthorn was better than 2008 Geelong as on paper football teams...

Pretty sure Hawthorn beat Geelong 4 out of 5 games played over 06 - 08. Geelong 07 weren't really that good - just ran into a speed bump in the 07 GF. The form guide also indicates that 08 wasn't really a shock result and that said game was on the way to a 10 goal blow out until the umpires started handing out goals late in the third to Geelong.
You beat us in Round 4 2007 by 4 points, and as history shows we got much better as the season went on....Just like in 2014 when we beat you guys in Round 5, but by the end you were much better....It really is a poor comparison. The best measurements in these type of one year comparisons are amount of wins during the H&A season, the percentage of the teams, winning records against fellow finalists & of course the actual finals results. In all these aforementioned metrics, Geelong of 2007 come out on top.

This
You have summed it up perfectly, upsets happen. Doesn’t mean they weren’t better.
I think the answer to who was better out of Geelong and Hawthorn is so damn obvious, however hawks did beat us in 08. They won fair and square btw but that frustrates me because the debate shouldn’t exist yet it does. We went in cocky.
Played over more matches is a more accurate reflection and 13 wins in a row demonstrated it.
We decline and they start winning.

The Hodge thing also drives me mad as i don’t ever remember worrying about him pre game ever, we had his measure.
What happens though? An injured Stokes plays on Hodge. Ellis was better and Dew turned the game, yet Hodge gets all the accolades.

Our dominance demonstrated by our % makes it obvious who is better.
shot in the arm.. dude.. you are carrying everything..

Premiership, Brownlow, Rising star, Norm Smith, AFLPA MVP, AFLPA Best first year player, 3 games clear on top of the ladder after H&A, highest winning margin in GF history, 9 All Australians, All Australian Coach and the list goes on. No team has been awarded that many accolades in one season since Geelong in 07, they dominated the competition in 07 more than Hawthorn did in any of their flag years. Cats are the better team.

Back