Review Geelong defeats Demons by 2 points - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, who can forget the golden age of polite disagreement on the terraces of Kardinia Park.

Im sure we have all been in situations where we could choose to do something silly or walk away.. ..or what about just soak it up.
Sure... this only one example ..and the current era of vid capture means that the slightest occurrence is stored and replayed. .if there had been vid in the old days of Vic park or Princess Park ..it would look pretty dire too.

We must have seen the same vision then

If you can’t go through the footy and not get into a fight then it’s time to have a good hard look at your life.

Comments are one thing, brawling is another. None of them looked little or they could punch the foam off a beer anyway, but that’s besides the point.
Just weak, and a really bad look for the the competition. It’s becoming too common

The vision I saw of it, posted to Twitter, shows a very drunk Melbourne supporter, who didn't like a Cat fan jumping around in front of him.

This guy was in the second footage I saw fighting, poorly I might add.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last quarter is the conundrum of the team.

The skilled attacking players like Menzel and Ablett don't have the physical attributes anymore to play modern defensive football.

If you don't have a full 22 out there tackling like mofos then your Richmond style game plan will never hold up.

Then the counter issue is too many of the good defensive players have poor skills so we can't play an attacking game plan or it ends up a shootout and we lose due to turnovers.

Under Scott we haven't focussed on going one way or the other in our recruiting, development or tactics and we just have this mismatch of players that in the end you can't do much with. No long term vision on what we stand for.

Gary's stats were good but his kicking is severely lacking, just high floaters

Watching it again though I stand corrected. Menz had a couple of moments of brilliance that changed the game. No one else would have been able to do that. If he went down the line on that last kick, Melbourne would have won.

Also on Gary, whilst his kicking was floaters, he got a lot of penetration on his kicks. That was dangerous for their defence, giving Hawkins good one on ones.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The report mentions that beer being tipped over the head of a geelong supporter ..and from then it went off.. bad look. the death of standing room .. have we really reach the point now where no one can withstand some disagreeable comments. We seem to live in a precious time
I had a football thrown at me a few years ago by a drunk Melbourne supporter. He took exception at our barracking and cheering when we won. Despite trying to ignore him, no eye contact he threw the ball hitting me in the head. His mate then threw beer at me and my friend. That was at the MCG or Etihad. No help from anyone and no security in sight. Perhaps the Dees supporters are not the nice little group that they are portrayed as.

And just on Stanley you could almost be excused for thinking he has had some competent ruck coaching.

In the past he would have given Gawn a few centre clearances from frees against at the centre bounce for blocking. He just jumped all over him with good rucking technique. Actually using his athleticism advantage, who'd have thought.

Under Scott we haven't focussed on going one way or the other in our recruiting, development or tactics and we just have this mismatch of players that in the end you can't do much with. No long term vision on what we stand for.

You know this.... HOW??
Can you give us some examples so i can understand where and how it led you with this assumption.
Cheers & Go Cats!!

And just on Stanley you could almost be excused for thinking he has had some competent ruck coaching.

In the past he would have given Gawn a few centre clearances from frees against at the centre bounce for blocking. He just jumped all over him with good rucking technique. Actually using his athleticism advantage, who'd have thought.

Nah
Two words... Chris Scott.
Faith... Encouragement... Constructive criticism... etc...
Just my opinion.
We would all be just having a guess.

Despite trying to ignore him, no eye contact he threw the ball hitting me in the head. His mate then threw beer at me and my friend. Perhaps the Dees supporters are not the nice little group that they are portrayed as.

I wonder if they also hate Shannon Noll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite our limitations, one thing you could never question is our heart. I said to Mad Hatter at 3/4 time we are done. We just didn't look like it. But I never thought we'd give in, we'd fight it out, we usually do.

Season on the line and we pull out something special that will be remembered and talked about for years.

I love this club.

Last edited:
I had a football thrown at me a few years ago by a drunk Melbourne supporter. He took exception at our barracking and cheering when we won. Despite trying to ignore him, no eye contact he threw the ball hitting me in the head. His mate then threw beer at me and my friend. That was at the MCG or Etihad. No help from anyone and no security in sight. Perhaps the Dees supporters are not the nice little group that they are portrayed as.

Maybe ..but id say every club...even ours have idiots who barrack for the club. There is no IQ test before they let you thru the gate.

I have been to the football with my closest relative a Collingwood supporter and he has shaken his head at some of their supporters. He compared it to Italians and the Mafia. I suspect we are just a less tolerant society now. I really don't want to get ito a PC discussion but the word Triggered is used a lot these days.. and usually in respect of just having to listen to other peoples opinions.

Yet maybe Im guilty as well. Having to sit there and listen to some comments about Geelong last night form a couple of women behind me in the third quarter.. i was starting to feel id rather just watch it at home.

No excuse for what you sustained..and id say , the vast majority of Melb supporters would say the same.

According to J Selwood they had nothing to lose and so played 'their' game. Perhaps that is what needs to happen more. Worked for the team of 07-11
It's worked for us a couple of times this year in the same circumstances,with nothing to lose and needing to score we play with more freedom and back our players up the ground to win more one on one's and there for the ball more quickly into the forward 50

Haven't read the entire thread, yet, but one of the highlights of the game for me was when Petracca took a mark on the wing in the last and turned his back to a 3 on 1 (or at worst 2 completely free team-mates) inside 50 to "milk" the clock only to go for a stupid barrel.
If he actually paid attention and moved it on they'd have iced the game comfortably.
Thanks "Italian Stallion" you stupid gimp!

You know this.... HOW??

Good teams are known for their game style.

The strong Geelong teams played attacking football, they owned the corridor.

Hawks recruited for exceptional foot skills and built a game plan around that.

Richmond have gone down the path of focussing on exceptional defensive pressure instead with a team full of willing foot soldiers with a sprinkling of elite players.

Can you tell me what our trademark is, what our overall vision has been? I can't, that would be how I know.

Sure we fight games out but tactically what is the master plan?

Everyone celebrate tonight, but in coming days we are going to need to discuss why our coach has a team capable of producing that last quarter playing like they did in the first three quarters.

The evidence is that the problem is not a lack of ability in the players.
Isn't this what Bomber Thompson admitted after the Nth Melb loss in 2007? He gave up and just let them play the game. And, BOOM!!!

Good teams are known for their game style.

Hawks recruited for exceptional foot skills and built a game plan around that.

Richmond have gone down the path of focussing on exceptional defensive pressure instead with a team full of willing foot soldiers with a sprinkling of elite players.

Can you tell me what our trademark is, what our overall vision has been? I can't, that would be how I know.
I think injuries to key players since 2012 have been responsible for this, more than anything.
You talk Hawthorn. But remember when they lost their best players after 2015. They really went to s**t, and I even trolled here about what a crap coach Clarkson was. Based on how disorganized ands shite Hawthorn could be then. A Coach needs players.

I think injuries to key players since 2012 have been responsible for this, more than anything.

As far as key players go I'd argue we have had a better than average run with injuries really.

We have had injuries to young fringe players that could have potentially stepped in and improved the team over the journey but Selwood, Danger, Taylor up to this year, Hawkins they barely miss a game between them.

Hawkins had the year with his back where he shouldn't have played but it is not like we have missed Sandilands and Fyfe etc for long periods of time.

Partitts continuing terrible form is concerning. He is a shadow of the player he was earlier in the year!!

But I can confirm there is no likely lad in the VFL ready to step up . Thurlow the only one I see getting in from here unless one or two others make a miraculous escape from the rehab centre.

Hence with more Backs than forwards to work with: Parfitt stays and the Henry experiment which spluttered into life at important moments in the last nights game, should continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back