Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. Those cracks are called major injuries/unavailability and shortest pre-season in history.
Dunno why it's so hard for some to sink in.
We will grow into the season.
Desperately need Cameron though, hard to go fast when no one leads and we only have one tall target.

Danger and Rohan should be very remorseful. Nearly 0-3 and they’ve let the team down.

Solid debut to Holmes. His work when attacking looks good, he does not look like a wing to me. Point to improve is his defensive work, because he was shepherding a lot when he should have run at them harder.
This will come with size. He doesn't LOOK like and AFL footballer at the moment but he looks to have some class about him. Promising for sure, should be best 22 after another preseason.

I’m sorry, it’s not popular on here, but Constable is a crab. Delisted end of the year.

He's played 4 games this season (including the preseason game against Essendon) and what's becoming clear from those 4 games is that he's become something of an impact player who gets involved when he first comes on and then drifts from there

He was good when he came on - 9 disposals and a goal in the second quarter, he then picked up only 5 more disposals in the second half

And in a reoccurring pattern he finished with 42% TOG; Evans the only player who spent less time on the ground

I'm happy with the impact he had when subbed on in the second quarter, much as we saw against Essendon in the preseason and his apparently similar against Adelaide (I didn't see the second half of that match). But today did nothing to sway me away from the notion that he's not a 4 quarter player

Yeah there is....I still worry about the slow chip, chip game plan though. A lot of sides seem to have sped up their game plans because of the new man on the mark rule, but we don't seem to have changed anything. Maybe when we get a 2nd tall option in the forward line things may change (I hope).
Credit to Clarkson today. He wasn’t going to let us chip our way up the ground and had 18 behind the ball a lot of the time. The game will change as other sides aren’t willing to park the bus like that.

We will grow into the season.
Desperately need Cameron though, hard to go fast when no one leads and we only have one tall target.

Danger and Rohan should be very remorseful. Nearly 0-3 and they’ve let the team down.

Yup exactly. MC tried hendo and Henry forward today due to lack of options (Henry worked too which was game changing in a sense).
Let's see how we go in 6 weeks.

This will come with size. He doesn't LOOK like and AFL footballer at the moment but he looks to have some class about him. Promising for sure, should be best 22 after another preseason.
Yep once he bulks up he will be fine , the potential is there we could all see it in his debut

should get a few games this year

Never felt so gutted after a win. We are playing yesterday's football with a plan that has delivered zero premierships. Our game plan keeps the opposition in the game week after week and that's if we turn up. I think the players are doing an outstanding job for the most part, winning games despite Scott's awful game plan and not because of it.

Cam Guthrie take a bow he has been huge for the last couple of seasons. Hendo and Henry were aweseome as well and I was really impressed with Atkins too, another popular whipping boy. The Glove struck again on Mitchell early and Smith continues to be the best of the new recruits. Duncs will be better for the run and a big improvement for Miers too. The players are cracking in and most are performing but I'd hate to pay Chris Scott's heating bills because he always leaves the bloody door open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup exactly. MC tried hendo and Henry forward today due to lack of options (Henry worked too which was game changing in a sense).
Let's see how we go in 6 weeks.
Guarantee the Scott thread will have teeth gnashing despite that being pivotal in us winning. That last goal against the run kept our noses in front

For the second and third quarters, I complained to the dogs about the chippy-chip-chip style...

...and in the last, I complained that they were gassed and just giving up.

BUT - the last quarters of the past fortnight has shown why we're playing this smelly style. We would have been well and truly over-run if we'd tried to play run-and-gun against the Hawks even without the injuries.

I hope it's just match and fitness, but we're going to need to get up and running pretty quick. The Demons looked a relatively easy-ish game two weeks ago but with their form vs ours, it's going to be a bloody tricky one.

All the focus will be on game style but at least part of the fact we were so constipated was the dysfunction in the forward line. Jack Henry did well under the circumstances but he's not a marking target and after that there's not much. Cameron coming back cannot come fast enough.

Thought there were some positives. We look way better in stoppages with O'Connor present, hope it persists after Danger returns. Holmes looked really good in congestion but I thought his decisions by foot into the 50 showed a kid who has played almost no footy (and especially no league footy) in two years. Atkins form justifies the move back and I think means we can keep O'Connor in midfield.

Finally: surely, surely, surely, it is time to give Dahlhaus a spell in favour of Close. He offers no aerial threat and he fumbles relentlessly below his knees - both things that Close was very good at last year.

Getting f**king bagged by Robbo on the TV. We just won!
A guy called Danger wasn't playing. Don't worry about that one.

If nothing else, the last fortnight has underlined the reality of modern footy. Stars - no matter who they are - can be covered.

We've missed Dangerfield for two games, against one good team in Brisbane, and one average one in Hawthorn. Haven't played particularly well in either, and absolutely terrible at times in both. But still won both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back