Geelong football club quarterly review (4-2)

Remove this Banner Ad

When we do play melbourne i wouldnt mind trying the same tactic malthouse used against us in the 2007 prelim final that almost won them the game. He discussed it on radio a few years back what they planned in the midfield to try to counteract our superstars.

Basically he conceded we had the star power that they couldnt go toe to toe with in the midfield, so he decided to deploy a bash and crash rotation method of continually rotating a large group of fresh players in the midfield to keep going at our star players all game and try to wear them down that way.. And in the end it almost worked for them.

I wouldnt mind trying to do a similar thing to melbournes star trio all day and really get physical into them with everyone going through there to get a edge.

Very good post. Midfield absolutely on shaky grounds and deserves a barely pass mark.. Got walloped around the Contested ball by the hawks which was unforgiveable that last qtr.

Forward line and defense i am going to be a bit harsher on for these reasons..

Forward line- fantastic when the ball movememt is fluent and fast to lead ups and space. Looks a million bucks.. But a few things for me bring that rating back to a 7.5
1. Concede alot of intercept marks with quick kicks from a contest. Forwards need to be hot on this and have failed alot to bring it to ground

2. When it is bombed in, are we elite wt pressuring?? I would say it comes out a bit too easy at times compared to some of the other forward lines.

Defense- SDK amazing inclusion and future AA. But one glaring issue for me drops it down to a 7.
1. Vulnerability in the air.. Have conceded a few contested marks that should be killed off with a fist. Also not doing enough damage intercepting in the air for marks.

Fix up those points and we deserve those high ratings for forwards and defense.
Yeah I agree SDK vulnerable in the air against the more seasoned lads. Gets out-bodied in those instances. I guess the rating depends on whether you consider 10 to be benchmarked against best in league or best with what we have.

On the intercepts I wonder if they're still just getting used to the speed of the game.

Yeah I agree SDK vulnerable in the air against the more seasoned lads. Gets out-bodied in those instances. I guess the rating depends on whether you consider 10 to be benchmarked against best in league or best with what we have.

On the intercepts I wonder if they're still just getting used to the speed of the game.
for me personally i am measuring it against the games best. probably melbourne being a 10 and us arguably between a 6.5-7.5 for mine (defense).

interestingly i think the influence of a forward line can be severely overrated in the modern game... i look at melbournes forward line and it is far off being anything special... key forwards are ordinary, bailey fritsch is the main man as a medium forward, and kozzi picket mozzies around doing flashes and damge, but as a whole it is quite meh... if you plonked that forward line into the geelong team it would be destroyed.

the work up the field and in defense is much more valuable and integral for modern day football success, and it is a ripple flow on affect feeding the front half with quality movement that creates scoring.

An average forward like ben brown will kick 4 goals having the ball kicked on a silver platter into 50 on the lead, while jeremy cameron having the ball kicked on his head to contests all day might only kick 2-3 goals....

for me, it is all about getting quality of movement and flow from the midfield and also the intercept transition from defence to forward half that is everything really.

for me personally i am measuring it against the games best. probably melbourne being a 10 and us arguably between a 6.5-7.5 for mine (defense).

interestingly i think the influence of a forward line can be severely overrated in the modern game... i look at melbournes forward line and it is far off being anything special... key forwards are ordinary, bailey fritsch is the main man as a medium forward, and kozzi picket mozzies around doing flashes and damge, but as a whole it is quite meh... if you plonked that forward line into the geelong team it would be destroyed.

the work up the field and in defense is much more valuable and integral for modern day football success, and it is a ripple flow on affect feeding the front half with quality movement that creates scoring.

An average forward like ben brown will kick 4 goals having the ball kicked on a silver platter into 50 on the lead, while jeremy cameron having the ball kicked on his head to contests all day might only kick 2-3 goals....

for me, it is all about getting quality of movement and flow from the midfield and also the intercept transition from defence to forward half that is everything really.
Yeah definitely agree. It's still an advantage to have a forward line that can convert bad entries though. Probably scale all my ratings down a point if it's against competition benchmark

Yeah definitely agree. It's still an advantage to have a forward line that can convert bad entries though. Probably scale all my ratings down a point if it's against competition benchmark
it's your rating so however you wish to do it. I am just saying how i would apply my own to it.

Think your boy willis will get a debut at all this year?

it's your rating so however you wish to do it. I am just saying how i would apply my own to it.

Think your boy willis will get a debut at all this year?
I think he's actually the easiest to debut once fit. Versatility means he can come in for a player forward or midfield. So that puts him in good stead compared to Stephens and Whyte. Physically ready which is a feather in his cap compared to Knevitt.

To be frank though, my confidence in him remains 90% vibe.

I think he's actually the easiest to debut once fit. Versatility means he can come in for a player forward or midfield. So that puts him in good stead compared to Stephens and Whyte. Physically ready which is a feather in his cap compared to Knevitt.

To be frank though, my confidence in him remains 90% vibe.
they seem to absolutely love him down at the club and refer to his bull like presence getting a name for himself already

Locking this thread and will deal with this s**t later, especially as it seems there's a number of posts not relevant to the discussion point or football in general

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet and BigFooty where folks will have differing opinions across the various topics we discuss...

So it's no s**t we won't all agree, nor are we suddenly going to sit around the camp fire singing Kumbaya, but that's no excuse to bring BS from one thread into another, especially where it's a case of posting just to stir the pot & take swipes at others

There's nothing wrong with disagreement & debate across the threads, but when that turns to personal swipes it won't be tolerated & sick of typing this warning in multiple threads

geelong_crazy26 has started this thread as a means of reviewing our season to date, and no doubt that'll include reviewing what's been happening in the coaches box, but a small reminder that there's more to the GFC than just Chris Scott - if this turns into another Chris Scott centric thread it'll be locked

Let's get back to reviewing our season to date:

• what's gone well?
  • what's not working?
  • how are the new assistant coaches going & what do we think about the changing structure with no dedicated line coaches?
  • who's the next debutant we want to see?

Review the club & cut the personal crap

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet and BigFooty where folks will have differing opinions across the various topics we discuss...

So it's no s**t we won't all agree, nor are we going to sit around the camp fire singing Kumbaya, but that's no excuse to bring BS from one thread into another, especially where it's a case of posting just to stir the pot & take swipes at others

There's nothing wrong with disagreement & debate across the threads, but when that turns to personal swipes it won't be tolerated & sick of typing this warning in multiple threads

geelong_crazy26 has started this thread as a means of reviewing our season to date, and no doubt that'll include reviewing what's been happening in the coaches box, but a small reminder that there's more to the GFC than just Chris Scott - if this turns into another Chris Scott centric thread it'll be locked

Let's get back to reviewing our season to date:

• what's gone well?
  • what's not working?
  • how are the new assistant coaches going & what do we think about the changing structure with no dedicated line coaches?
  • who's the next debutant we want to see?

Review the club & cut the personal crap
Cheers cats_09 .

What are your two cents for our year to date?

Cheers cats_09 .

What are your two cents for our year to date?
I had planned on writing something today but now I'm going to work

I'll get something up though - basically, there's been good & bad, plus a bit of frustrating

Been some good, some excellent, some exciting, some bad, some frustrating and some downright shitful.
It's been an interesting 6 weeks thus far Atleast.

Ultimately we won't really know until September. Pretty much like the last 4-5 years, except you could argue there have been bigger warning signs already this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can still give your opinion of what you have seen so far. Shoot away

Just did.

Some good, some bad. Great comeback win against Collingwood, although it probably contained our worst quarter of the year. Horrible fadeout against Hawthorn. Very positive to see DeKoning and now Dempsey making contributions, as well as more games for Holmes and the improvement of Close.

Otherwise, wait and see.

Just did.

Some good, some bad. Great comeback win against Collingwood, although it probably contained our worst quarter of the year. Horrible fadeout against Hawthorn. Very positive to see DeKoning and now Dempsey making contributions, as well as more games for Holmes and the improvement of Close.

Otherwise, wait and see.
what do you want to see from now till the end of the year? i know your not a big advocate for our finals chances, but would seeing anything between now and round 22 sway you on that optimism?

Been some good, some excellent, some exciting, some bad, some frustrating and some downright shitful.
It's been an interesting 6 weeks thus far Atleast.
i think if we got offered at the beginning of the season 4-2 at the 6 game mark, we would have accepted it... it is not too bad a spot.

the ugly for my liking is too ugly... you cannot get smashed that badly in contested footy to the extent we do and expect to go far against a midfield like melbourne.

i think we are trying to play more geared towards our strengths this season which is an elite key forward line with quality movement towards them, as opposed to previous seasons trying to cover up our deficiencies which was a lack of ability to defend turnovers and transition ball movement. We are not a good team at winning the football back once the opposition gets it. ping pong footy does not ultimately suit geelong as sides can run away from us at stoppages with far too much ease.

They have essentially backed in their strengths this year while trying to work on their deficiencies, without having a game plan that focuses on papering over those deficiencies.

very different approach which is a bit more risk than assurance, and it has paid off at times and lost at times as you would expect it to.

i guess this ties in a bit with Partridge thoughts, as to will it pay off against a side like melbourne or sydney in a final this new approach. that is if we get there in the first place.

1: We are not winning enough centre clearances to be a serious contender.

2: We look better when we man up when not in possession of the ball but often get burnt badly when guarding grass in a zone defence.

Overall I'm happy with the start to the season but the likely result still is an early exit come September the only way forward is to be brave at selection around the midfield try some of the young blokes in there you just never know,move Guthrie out of centre bounces to a wing and a more attacking role,can kick a good goal.

Not much more we can do with the back half or forward line for that matter.I think we need to trial a ruck at least for a game in next month my personal view is going back to the Sav's, Zuthries and Dollshouses of this world won't help improve the side.

I'm actually excited about the next month the inclusion of SDK and Ollie being the tonic for my renewed enthusiasm.

We are debuting some kids and are playing a more attractive brand of football this year. It's a tick for me so far even knowing we will drop due to the aging players in our 22

We're probably where most had us in the preseason, a middle of the road team. We'll probably still win most games at KP which will boost us higher then we should actually be rated so will probably mean we'll get smashed again comes finals, regardless who we play.

The midfield is a massive concern though, not much quality and can't think one even 1 player that's having an AA quality season from there. Our defense is also a bit shaky but like what SDK has bought so far.

The forwardline looks good and I'm enjoying Cam/Hawk and Stengle and Close, all have had a great start to the year. I just hope we can start converting better in front of goal, It's been annoying watching us kick double figure points while our opponents kick strait.

Last edited:
Higgins: he is a place holder at this point that will be covered in the midfield talking points

Honourable mention to Brad Close who after 36 games is no longer developing and is now just best 22.

Forward line: 9/10

Midfield: No new faces. Our senior guys aren't seeing the world on fire.

Also, we're in the 8 which is cool too I guess.

You can move Close from the forward line to the midfield.....he's a genuine midfielder these days....plays all over the park.

IMO he is the most improved player on our list this year. Will do very well in the Carji ..injuries permitting of course.

You can move Close from the forward line to the midfield.....he's a genuine midfielder these days....plays all over the park.

IMO he is the most improved player on our list this year. Will do very well in the Carji ..injuries permitting of course.
Yeah that's a switch I hadn't really been considering. He'd be a great addition though I think his ground level pressure would be missed in f50

Credit to Scott for the way he is used. Pushing up the ground and using his running power to find space. He is not great front and centre and this is definitely playing to his strengths.

Having stengle available to play closer to goal has released close from the forward 50. Flow on effects of good recruiting. A free best 22 player is an excellent outcome.

Miers is a concern at this stage. Treading water.

Credit to Scott for the way he is used. Pushing up the ground and using his running power to find space. He is not great front and centre and this is definitely playing to his strengths.

Having stengle available to play closer to goal has released close from the forward 50. Flow on effects of good recruiting. A free best 22 player is an excellent outcome.

Miers is a concern at this stage. Treading water.
Miers needs to be stuck closer to goal as that he the place he is most dangerous.

Miers and Stengle close to goal with Close rotating mid/forward is what i would like to see.

Ultimately we won't really know until September. Pretty much like the last 4-5 years, except you could argue there have been bigger warning signs already this year.
Pretty much this. It’s impossible to really know until September.
You can change games styles, change coaches ect, but the ultimate test will finals.

Having said that our start hasn’t been too bad but definitely frustrating. We look a little unsettled compared to previous years at the same stage but that’s understandable due to changing up the gameplan.

I think we ultimately finish 6-8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back