MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the JDG and Stewart bump are pretty similar.

What was the result to the player bumped in both cases?

That would be the only difference one way or another IMO if they had different injuries due to the bumps they copped.

I lost touch but did wonder why Toby Greene did not get pinged last week.

Ah yeah that's right, a GWS player 200 games. QED

In both cases the ball wasn't with the guy that was hit.

De Goey had a very clear opportunity to tackle, but blatantly chose to shoulder the guy at speed.

His opponent was completely defenseless (as was the case with Stewart) and De Goey clearly knew he had a particular duty of care in that instance, but chose to disregard it anyhow.

To me the intent equates Stewart's incident, and the impact / outcome was every bit as violent.

I just don't see any mitigation of De Goey's incident v Stewart's.
He'll get two and a fine because he is Collingwood

If JDG gets 3 then I would like to see a clear explanation from someone in the tribunal as to why it was worth a week less than Stewart's.
Which particular fraction of difference changes the calculus of the penalty? Both were intent on putting physical force on the player who had moved the ball on. Both got the head and concussed the player. So which hairs can they split? If Stewart had gotten 3, then I'd have no problem with JDG getting same.
For me this is most frustrating thing about the sanction system. I'd understand a week for the attempt, then another two for the concussion, or 3 for more severe. But FFS make it clear, or it just leaves them open to doubts about their integrity.

If JDG gets 3 then I would like to see a clear explanation from someone in the tribunal as to why it was worth a week less than Stewart's.
Which particular fraction of difference changes the calculus of the penalty? Both were intent on putting physical force on the player who had moved the ball on. Both got the head and concussed the player. So which hairs can they split? If Stewart had gotten 3, then I'd have no problem with JDG getting same.
For me this is most frustrating thing about the sanction system. I'd understand a week for the attempt, then another two for the concussion, or 3 for more severe. But FFS make it clear, or it just leaves them open to doubts about their integrity.
The media play a big part.
Stewart was absolutely smashed in the media after his bump.
De Goey not so much. In fact, some have come out to defend him.

Last edited:
De Goey not so much. In fact, some have come out in to defend him.
Apparently the meedya already punished him enough. :roflv1::roflv1::roflv1:

Fx7GEZGaIAEW-bp

De Goey not so much. In fact, some have come out in to defend him.
Yeah, the local media sucking up to the big local clubs.

Buckley was particularly disgusting. What was the kid to do? Stick his elbow up to JDG's face? How much time did he have to protect himself when he was hand-balling it?

I'm certain the behind the door boys club is deciding on three weeks + a bye so they can self-righteously say he won't play for four weeks.

Just give us objective criteria for adjudging the number of weeks, which then can be compared to any upcoming incidents or recent past ones.

Yeah, the local media sucking up to the big local clubs.

Buckley was particularly disgusting. What was the kid to do? Stick his elbow up to JDG's face? How much time did he have to protect himself when he was hand-balling it?

I'm certain the behind the door boys club is deciding on three weeks + a bye so they can self-righteously say he won't play for four weeks.

Just give us objective criteria for adjudging the number of weeks, which then can be compared to any upcoming incidents or recent past ones.
Buckley was laughable- just ridiculous stuff. He’s been pretty good on SEN in the mornings with Whateley but he surely reverted to type on this incident!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close not cited.

fist pump

The incident involving the Geelong Cats’ Bradley Close and the Sydney Swans’ Aaron Francis from the first quarter of Friday’s match between the Sydney Swans and the Geelong Cats was assessed. Francis gains possession of the ball with momentum in the Sydney Swans’ back pocket and is tackled by Close. It was the view of the MRO that despite having Francis in a vulnerable position, Close attempted to slow momentum in taking him to ground and that in the circumstances he was not careless in tackling in that manner. No further action was taken.

Close not cited.

fist pump

The incident involving the Geelong Cats’ Bradley Close and the Sydney Swans’ Aaron Francis from the first quarter of Friday’s match between the Sydney Swans and the Geelong Cats was assessed. Francis gains possession of the ball with momentum in the Sydney Swans’ back pocket and is tackled by Close. It was the view of the MRO that despite having Francis in a vulnerable position, Close attempted to slow momentum in taking him to ground and that in the circumstances he was not careless in tackling in that manner. No further action was taken.

Commonsense rules.

Close not cited.

fist pump

Take that Jon Ralph - was very quick to say he should cop a week in the match commentary. What a flog!

Take that Jon Ralph - was very quick to say he should cop a week in the match commentary. What a flog!
Absolutely! Can’t stand that **** getting aroused at the prospect of non-Richmond players getting suspended. It’s sickening!

Close not cited.

fist pump

Stewart?

Thought he was meant to be gone also...

Stewart?

Thought he was meant to be gone also...
Ha! I mean, these people really show that they can’t contain their emotions in commenting on football, don’t they. Cretins!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back