MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

You hold hope that the evolving rules, and their interpretation, will eventually be completely reversed?

Ok. You have much more faith than I.
There was a time when tackling was going for the hip, wrapping up the opponent - including the arms so the ball couldn't be released - then dropping the knees so you were dead weight. Thereby dragging the opponent to the ground.

Seemed our tribunal case was that Close attempted something along those lines but the forward movement of the opponent forced him forward and he slide to one side.

Doubt it would have been an issue in the past but due to the attention to head injury and the possible repercussions of any tackle that may lead to concussion means you are a goner in a Close type incident. Places a much higher level of obligation on the tackler.

There was a time when tackling was going for the hip, wrapping up the opponent - including the arms so the ball couldn't be released - then dropping the knees so you were dead weight. Thereby dragging the opponent to the ground.

Seemed our tribunal case was that Close attempted something along those lines but the forward movement of the opponent forced him forward and he slide to one side.

Doubt it would have been an issue in the past but due to the attention to head injury and the possible repercussions of any tackle that may lead to concussion means you are a goner in a Close type incident. Places a much higher level of obligation on the tackler.

The associated risk, and the Tribunal's rulings, essentially mean the classic tackle is dead.

It is simple.

If you touch someone and they hit their head you get rubbed out.

They could hit the ground, your body anything at all.

Will be interesting to see how many get rubbed out from now on.

Quite a few until a Brownlow favourite gets caught out in the same situation.

Then the AFL will have to decide if they bend over backwards to explain why that case was ok while less severe ones were not, start to become less harsh in the interpretation after they let them off as they would have to follow the new interpretation or just put their blinkers on, pretend it never happened and carry on business as usual afterwards until the next darling does the same or they double down on some poor guy then next week while they pretend they are all about protecting the head.

Last edited:
I think the opinions that the AFL will move the game toward Gaelic are probably correct. If they can't find a way to effectively protect themselves against any liability then they will go into a non-contact direction. I enjoy Aussie Rules because it is fast and has strong physical contact. Gaelic doesn't keep the interest long enough to watch it a lot. If the AFL goes in that direction they'd better figure out a way to rev it up a few notches to make up for the lack of physical drama that tackling provides.

Dermie said on the radio today that he spoke with senior AFL people recently who said that the over 40 yo supporters are rusted on so they will always be supporters, but the AFL has to make these changes to the game to attract younger people and newer audiences

He said that his view is if you don't like the game as it is as a supporter or player or parent then there are plenty of other codes out there.

I agree with him (cue me choking back vomit).

This is also a 101 classic case of shitting in the face of your current customer base, which rarely goes well

From my phone hohum

I would say yes, as per the Tribunal guidelines, this is one condition for a dangerous tackle:

» The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (e.g. arm(s) pinned) with little opportunity to protect himsel
So by definition you cannot pin the arms if there is any risk of the player going to ground.

So you tackle standing up, and / or concede the handball.
I think this is more likely to end up with more players deliberately going to ground in the hope of winning a free kick. Removes all responsibility from the player being tackled. Dawson made a decision to take Close on and power through him with his greater size. Surely the AFL has some responsibliity to maintain the integrity of the game.

Dawson made a decision to take Close on and power through him with his greater size
Surely the AFL has some responsibility to maintain the integrity of the game.
Yes for your first sentence, absolutely agree.

As for you second sentence this might happen in another time/planet/universe but it ain't gonna happen now by the supporters' definition of integrity, but it will happen to their own definition. And as we are seeing they are not the same.

Last edited:
So now the AFL has sent Brad Green at the Dees a 'please explain' because they're so precious about their own stupidity.

They're really not reading the room at all.

So Ralphy has confirmed that a lawyer IS sitting in on the panel when decisions are made by the MRO.

Also confirmed that the AFL will move to re-word the laws to slam the door shut on a JVR type dismissal again.

So sanity prevailed, but only temporarily. The lawyers are winning, and the game is being destroyed as a result.

Havent looked this thread, but I thought this week Close was very unlucky to be suspended, if it was the incident I saw that is...

Jordan De Goey should get 4 weeks for his hit on Elijah Hewett at the tribunal tonight nothing less than Tom Stewarts 4 week hit on Deon Prestia last year for me but I've been way off the mark in the past when it comes to tribunal penalties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan De Goey should get 4 weeks for his hit on Elijah Hewett at the tribunal tonight nothing less than Tom Stewarts 4 week hit on Deon Prestia last year for me but I've been way off the mark in the past when it comes to tribunal penalties.
Media is desperate to try and paint it in a better light and get him 3 or less it seems.

Media is desperate to try and paint it in a better light and get him 3 or less it seems.
the age podcast definitely spent a lot of their discussion on this topic talking about how much worse Stewart’s was.

Stewart’s was so much worse in my opinion.
I strongly believe he’ll get 3 only because there’s always a bye in there.
But also wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 4 and then we get everyone comparing Degoey and Stewart

Stewart’s was so much worse in my opinion.
I strongly believe he’ll get 3 only because there’s always a bye in there.
But also wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 4 and then we get everyone comparing Degoey and Stewart

I don't see them as any different.

Both ran past the ball, both chose to bump, both had eyes on the man, both hit the head, and both concussed their opponent.

I don't see them as any different.

Both ran past the ball, both chose to bump, both had eyes on the man, both hit the head, and both concussed their opponent.
The difference is one ran past the ball and one bumped after a kick
Yes both in the head and yes both knocked out a player but Stewart’s bump was average and Degoeys was just dumb
Take your Geelong beanie off for just a minute

The difference is one ran past the ball and one bumped after a kick
Yes both in the head and yes both knocked out a player but Stewart’s bump was average and Degoeys was just dumb
Take your Geelong beanie off for just a minute

In both cases the ball wasn't with the guy that was hit.

De Goey had a very clear opportunity to tackle, but blatantly chose to shoulder the guy at speed.

His opponent was completely defenseless (as was the case with Stewart) and De Goey clearly knew he had a particular duty of care in that instance, but chose to disregard it anyhow.

To me the intent equates Stewart's incident, and the impact / outcome was every bit as violent.

I just don't see any mitigation of De Goey's incident v Stewart's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back