Geelong.......not YET convincing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Due for a loss Catters! Watch out on Friday. ;)

I can't wait for this game. Should be a ripper. I reckon we can win it.

I tell ya what, I still don't rate the Bombers as highly as I should, but I reckon you guys are our biggest test in the last month. I think if Geelong are able to hold true to their form, they'll win. However the Bombers are hard to predict and can unsettle us, especially if there are a couple of changes at Geelong due to this weeks injuries.

I'd already convinced myself that we'd beat the Swans, however our next three games are big ones, I'll be okay if we only win one of them, happy with two, orgasmic with three.

Geelong last year or two years ago would have been flustered by the Swans getting back in the game and probably would have lost it. But they steadied through two goals and closed it out.

I'm becoming convinced (still a lot of history of the Cats choking to get over!).

I tell ya what, I still don't rate the Bombers as highly as I should, but I reckon you guys are our biggest test in the last month. I think if Geelong are able to hold true to their form, they'll win. However the Bombers are hard to predict and can unsettle us, especially if there are a couple of changes at Geelong due to this weeks injuries.

I'd already convinced myself that we'd beat the Swans, however our next three games are big ones, I'll be okay if we only win one of them, happy with two, orgasmic with three.

If Geelong play to their best they'll win.

But after 8 wins in a row, and a so-so win against the Swans maybe the Cats are going to have that inevitable 2-3 week period where all teams are below their best. It happens to all flag sides, including Wst Coast at this time last year where they got out of jail several times.

There is no doubt that Geelong's best form was between rounds 6-10 where they won by 157, 39, 25, 56 and 60.

Since then they have been good but not as awesome as they were with that 5 game stretch. Their last three wins have been:

- a 6 point win over the Crows. Gutsiest win of the lot, but it wasn't the free-flowing awesome performances of the previous 5 weeks. It was more workmanlike.

- a 50 point win over Brisbane at KP. Big deal. Brisbane are poor on the road. We beat them by 65 at the Dome.

- a 4 goal win over the Swans. Good win, but not vintage..

Geelong are the best team in the AFL, but they are ripe for a loss on Friday I reckon. Essendon will probably get thrashed now that I've said that, but I just have a feeling that we are going to be "on."

I don't think the Cats are quite at their best at the moment. Bombers are a huge chance to win.

But after 8 wins in a row, and a so-so win against the Swans maybe the Cats are going to have that inevitable 2-3 week period where all teams are below their best. It happens to all flag sides, including Wst Coast at this time last year where they got out of jail several times.

There is no doubt that Geelong's best form was between rounds 6-10 where they won by 157, 39, 25, 56 and 60.

Since then they have been good but not as awesome as they were with that 5 game stretch. Their last three wins have been:

- a 6 point win over the Crows. Gutsiest win of the lot, but it wasn't the free-flowing awesome performances of the previous 5 weeks. It was more workmanlike.

- a 50 point win over Brisbane at KP. Big deal. Brisbane are poor on the road. We beat them by 65 at the Dome.

Geelong are the best team in the AFL, but they are ripe for a loss on Friday I reckon. Essendon will probably get thrashed now that I've said that, but I just have a feeling that we are going to be "on."

I don't think the Cats are quite at their best at the moment.

I have to disagree about our last three games being "so so". If anything they've been the most testing due to conditions and in todays case, injuries (no fit players on bench).

But I still reckon the Bombers will be the first of three teams that have a realistic chance of getting over us in the next three weeks.

I don't think the Cats are quite at their best at the moment. Bombers are a huge chance to win.

No doubt Essendon are a chance. But while we're putting things in perspective, let's look at Essendon's recent games.

R9 - d Richmond (16th) by 8 points after being behind close to the finish.

R10 - d Sydney (8th) by 1 point. Gutsy but not without luck.

R11 - d West Coast (1st) by 1 point. Great win.

R12 - lost by 31 to Port Adelaide (10th) after being much further behind.

R13 - d Melbourne (15th) by 2 points. Lucky.

So in summary, 4 wins by a total of 12 points and a very average performance against Port Adelaide.

I would say 60-40.

He has been good the past couple of weeks and seems to have his marking form back. However if he is going to miss a week then this week may be the one to miss. Scarlett will take Lloyd and Egan (or Mackie if they go for someone more mobile) is likely to take Lucas.

Can't see a decent matchup for Tommy.

He has been good the past couple of weeks and seems to have his marking form back. However if he is going to miss a week then this week may be the one to miss. Scarlett will take Lloyd and Egan (or Mackie if they go for someone more mobile) is likely to take Lucas.

Can't see a decent matchup for Tommy.

He's very versatile. Spent time on Davis today. He'll play if he's fit to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In answer to your question Geelong have only played 5 at Skilled Stadium this year, winning four and losing one. All four wins have come against teams playing out of their home state.

At the MCG, Geelong has played just one game, which they won.

As for burying sides, like you say should have happened against Sydney today, despite having no one on the bench at the end (bet ya didn't know that;)) our results say we do bury sides:

Carlton 78 points
Melbourne 52 points
Richmond 157 points
West Coast 39 points
Pt Adelaide 56 points
St Kilda 60 points
Brisbane 50 points

Anything else you would like to say?

I've got something to say..............It's only June.

This time last year people wanted to give Adelaide the Premiership.......

Also you have beaten. Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Brisbane. These 5 clubs are exactly setting the league on fire.

I've got something to say..............It's only June.

This time last year people wanted to give Adelaide the Premiership.......

Never said it wasn't and have I, or any other self respecting Cats supporter said we will win the premeiership? No! We know it's only just past half way, but currently we are on top and as far as I'm concerned that's a good way of going about trying to win a premiership.

No one said Geelong will win the premiership, all we're saying is this team is the real deal and are a chance, and people are still writing us off as hacks.

They had a real chance of burying Sydney today, but at one stage in the last qtr, Sydney were on a roll.
Geelong played very well in the previous 3 qtrs, but whether arrogance crept in....I don't know. Should have really gone onto a bigger win than the 18 points. So far this year, they have played well at Skilled Stadium, but I reckon they would be suss on the MCG.
I'd be interested in how many games they have lost at Skilled Stadium this season.......don't think it would be many.

The reason why Sydney came back is because we lost Bartel and Rooke for the entire game before half time, which effectively left Geelong with only 2 interchange players for most of the game. Others players were injured and were force to play half fit on such as Ling, Selwood, Nablett, Mackie, Harley and Wojac. We ran out of legs (as you would expect) and Sydney had NO injuries and still WON.

Geelong has won 8 straight. It that isn't convincing, then I don't know what is.

Bollocks

I hear the cup has already got the Geelong engraving done.

Geelong beat us fair & square today
BUT

-finals are not played on pin-head sided Skilled Stadium in the rain & drizzle
-Jimmy Bartels will be out injured for a while
-they seriously lack finals pedigree (I'm sorry, but 9 point re-season rubbish does NOT count!)
-they have a young generally inexperienced side.

A Premiership winning side would have completely buried us today. Geelong fell over the line, despite having had the game in their command for all but 15 or so minutes.

There still remains a BIG question mark as far as I'm concerned about the Cats.

As for us, well read my rants on RWO to see what questionmarks I have about us as a club & the direction we are heading in at the moment. I can't say the future is a bright one for us right now. Even if we have a fair few home matches in the next month or 2.

Congrats Cats. BUT remember you have won NOTHING yet!

JF

Geelong are very impressing but I think that they are starting to show signs of fatigue. The next month is going to test them with a few key injuries. The loss of Bartel will hurt but the Cats are certainly premiership contenders this year. Having said that, I might tip the Bombers to beat them next Friday night.

Geelong was a little disappointing when you consider they are premiership favourites and playing at their home ground. I was expecting a much greater margin.

Geelong has won 8 straight. It that isn't convincing, then I don't know what is.

Like it or lump it, you are still Geelong. You have a history of crumbling when it matters.You have an artificial advantage playing on your narrow ground in generally terrible footballing conditions.

People see you as an unconvincing proposition. I think there Is justification in this viewpoint to be honest.

JF

Like it or lump it, you are still Geelong. You have a history of crumbling when it matters.You have an artificial advantage playing on your narrow ground in generally terrible footballing conditions.

People see you as an unconvincing proposition. I think there Is justification in this viewpoint to be honest.

JF

And Sydney don't have a massive advantage playing on a ground that is equivalent to other grounds as Ray Chamberlain is to other umpires? That's the definition of an artificial advantage. This team, this year, has not crumbled under pressure. It's a different club this year, and the on field attitude has shown that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back