Autopsy Geelong QF loses to Richmond by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans home ground is SCG - GWS can play WCE at their home ground, is the AFL saying differently? Or am I :huh:?
The Giants ARE playing the Eagles at their home ground (Spotless), however the other poster I was replying to suggested they should not be allowed and be forced to play the game at the SCG or ANZ. Something to do with "consistency". I guess some view that consistency means that certain teams should be given a home ground advantage and certain other teams should be denied such.

Their depth is so strong right now they can keep Tippett in the reserves while Sinclair stars.
He's every chance to pluck another 7 marks and kick 3 goals on Henderson and that's not including the output they will get from Reid, Franklin and Towers.
If we are still even hanging around in the 4th quarter, I'll be completely shell shocked.
This has a massacre written all over it.
Geelong is no longer a team. They are bunch of individuals playing for themselves. A group who know they are completely out of depth at the pointy end of the season.
Oh woe is me the sky is falling! Every time Geelong lose we are apparently the worst team in the comp, yet two weeks ago we played our best game of the season thrashing the Giants then second on the ladder and took their spot with all its advantages. Against Richmond we were undermanned, one short for half a game and with Selwood coming back far from his best, and following our usual post-bye lack of momentum. I think we will play much better against the Swans, good enough to win? I do not know, it is essentially a GF for us, if we do win, we can beat the rest (pending what injuries we will have).

Oh woe is me the sky is falling! Every time Geelong lose we are apparently the worst team in the comp, yet two weeks ago we played our best game of the season thrashing the Giants then second on the ladder and took their spot with all its advantages. Against Richmond we were undermanned, one short for half a game and with Selwood coming back far from his best, and following our usual post-bye lack of momentum. I think we will play much better against the Swans, good enough to win? I do not know, it is essentially a GF for us, if we do win, we can beat the rest (pending what injuries we will have).
Did you see the Giants on Thursday night? Thrashing them is hardly something to be proud of. We are exiting this final in straight sets for the second time in 3 years. That spells problems with the game plan and training methods.

In a crowd of 95000 that seemed mainly Yellow ..there is bound to be the odd reprobate ... yet the game started with officially sanctioned welcome to the game of the drums..drums that would get played at Rich home game ... then followed by a noise that I can only say was the sound that set the tone of the masses.. .. a drone of booing for the home side coming onto the ground that was not just the odd supporter it was the sound a herd mentality.

And so it went thru the game... Richmond supporters jumping up out of seats because they were "excited" ..not caring if it blocked others view. ..not worried about spilling beer all over the opp. supporters in front , not worried about kids in tears near me that was for sure. I have been going to football a long time and seen few crowds where their unbridled selfishness was so unchecked, a level of self entitlement that seemed gravy for the meat of potential violence.

So after all that ..do you really believe that Tig supports just doffed their hat and said bad luck etc to exiting opposition supporters. You personally are not responsible for others ..if you behaved well then congrats to you... but I fear if you do believe in Karma , the this year may yet have a bad turn for RFC.

All football supporters, and certainly Geelong ones, have gleefully put the boot into Richmond for decades. So after absolutely hammering us in a final (remember we were going to win easily), you don't expect them to return the compliment?

The only self-entitlement I see is from some Geelong supporters (thankfully a small minority). Absolutely precious snowflakes who can't handle that mean opposition fans are going to say bad things about them. Welcome to following sport. We copped it for a long time, we've been dishing it out for a decade. Friday night we copped some back.

Opposition fans don't give a shit about our feelings, and nor should they. What the team can do is work hard against Sydney and stay competitive. Against Richmond they couldn't even do that.

All football supporters, and certainly Geelong ones, have gleefully put the boot into Richmond for decades. So after absolutely hammering us in a final (remember we were going to win easily), you don't expect them to return the compliment?

The only self-entitlement I see is from some Geelong supporters (thankfully a small minority). Absolutely precious snowflakes who can't handle that mean opposition fans are going to say bad things about them. Welcome to following sport. We copped it for a long time, we've been dishing it out for a decade. Friday night we copped some back.

Opposition fans don't give a shit about our feelings, and nor should they. What the team can do is work hard against Sydney and stay competitive. Against Richmond they couldn't even do that.
I think a lot like this
If you can't deal with an opposition team booing your club, then you should never leave your house.
It's the same in here.......if you're not circle jerking over the likes of Menzel or think that 2 finals wins in the last 10 is terrible, then you apparently don't know your footy.

Hawkins needs to stop bieng distracted by wrestling his opponent and keep his eyes on the footy. The way he keeps appealing for free kicks makes him look silly

Started at selection Thursday night by leaving out Menzel. My confidence in a win was lost there, so to I suspect some of the playing groups. A negative selection trying to save the game, not win it, this defeatist approach always backfires
not always, but nobody will disagree with you this weekend.

I remember being so frustrated with Varcoe until someone explained his role - pressure acts, as you say. Wish we had a Varcoe!

Would be very harsh, considering + comparing other players failure.

What do you think Parsons' role should be, Vdubs?
Once he has grown into his body, has a full preseason, a running hbf, winger.

That sucks. Poor Guthrie. Just like Brodie Smith, not what you want in finals.

Pre-game I said whatever happens, hopefully there's no injuries to either team. Really sorry you guys ended up with one
Your season reminds me of our 07 season, 1.virtually no injuries. We did lose Egan in the last h & a game. But it seems your team is pretty unscathed; 2. a successful VFL team.
That is part of the fortune you need to win a GF.
Doesn't hurt to have the absolute best player in the comp at his best ALL SEASON.
As I said all last week, everything points to a Tigers flag this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday night, I couldn't believe how high we pressed up, yet stood 5-10 metres off our opponents. It's just a complete waste of time to have all your players in Richmonds half, if you're not putting physicality into them.
You're just guarding the space........and THAT is the problem.
Scott is obsessed with zone off footy, he goes back to it all the bloody time.
We play our best footy when we attack the footy, be first to the ball and play attacking footy
How many times on Friday night did we press up on the kickouts, have everyone in Richmonds half, then just allow them to chip it to a defender unattended who cleared the ball without pressure. This gave them a chance to get out of the 50 with ease on the second kick. Every single time.
I was pulling my hair out.
We will never ever ever win another flag playing zone off footy.

Great assessment!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawkins needs to stop bieng distracted by wrestling his opponent and keep his eyes on the footy. The way he keeps appealing for free kicks makes him look silly
Easy for you to say, Tomahawk is scragged by three defenders every week! Rarely gets a free kick + is probably the most unprotected FF in the league! Look at Buddy, Riewoldt etc - just have to look at them + they get a free. I nearly dropped dead when Tomahawk was given a free on Friday night lol

Agree to an extent, but didn't see too much of that Friday night. Credit to Hawkins, he was one of few that worked hard. Astbury has improved out of sight (like a few of them).

everything points to a Tigers flag this year.

If it wasn't for their regular effort to shit their pants I might agree. I still think they'll suffer a panic attack when the heat is really on. We weren't able to induce it but Adelaide or Sydney can.

Did you see the Giants on Thursday night? Thrashing them is hardly something to be proud of. We are exiting this final in straight sets for the second time in 3 years. That spells problems with the game plan and training methods.
Nothing to do with being proud, but beating the team second on the ladder in the last h&a game and in the manner it was performed shows how capable we were just two weeks ago. We were poor on Friday night and I hope we can play as well as we did two weeks ago against Sydney. Unlike you I do not make predictions, especially negative predictions about the team I support. So confident perhaps you should put your money on the Swans and see if you can win a few bucks.

If we do lose it is not necessarily the game plan nor training methods unless you seriously think our team, man for man, is the best in the AFL. In reality if we do lose it is most likely that the best 22 we can muster on that night is simply not good enough.

YES!!! Did you see Selwood's face?

Don't know about the rooms, but as Turbocat said, Richmond had the drums etc. May as well have been their home game, AFL + Tigers thought it was :mad: At least Ottens rang our Bell :rolleyes:
I walked with those drummers towards the ground as well as a lot of Tigers fans. Was unnerving to say the least.

That's the exact sort of cultural leader we need at the club
2 things
1 - jus repeating what I heard
2 - i clearly said I liked his 9-5 work... not his banging the skirt from work after work.

3 - we need some that can steer this ship and before his "ooopsy" he was doing a decent job at HQ.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back