Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
2 tough wins against Bulldogs and Port, can we keep it up vs the Crows?

Also what changes will we make? Will Cockatoo come back or be given an extra rest before the bye? Lonergan?

• Banned
Possible changes I'd look at:

- If they want to rest Bews' corky then Ruggles is a good replacement.
- Lonergan back in? Don't think Henderson or Stewart need a rest, Kolo should be given another go but we'll see.
- Maybe give Taylor a rest? Then we could either bring Stanley in at CHF, or bring Buzza in for his debut.
- If Cocky returns I'd say he would come in for Parsons, as Murdoch and Lang performed well.
- Cunico should be given another go, thought he was quite good.

I was reading on the AFL's injury page that Cocky's injury is now listed as a 2-3 weeker, so doubt he'll come back in for this week sadly. Haven't heard anything from the club since they said they expected it to only be a 1 week thing.

I wouldn't want too many changes unless someone really needs a rest or has picked up an injury, and thought everyone had a pretty good game with the exception of Kolo. Ruggles was stiff not to be in last night, in for Bews depending on how Bews' corky comes up. He came back and played on so it didn't look too bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lonergan come back in to take on Jenkins (perhaps at the expense of Kolo), I don't think they'll leave him out of the side for too long.

O'Connor was given two weeks so expect Cunico to get the same at least.

Bews will get up in 8 days with a cork.

Leaning toward no change if everyone pulls up ok.

Think we can cash in our KPark trifecta tickets and hit the bye with our season set up at 8-3.

Having said that, HUGE game. Should be a belter and particularly looking forward to Dangerfield starting to turn the tables on his old club.

Cats by 8.

Bews will be fine, has 8 days to ice it and get it right, need him to play on Betts. Only change i see possible is Lonergen in, not sure who for though, would also like to squeeze in Ruggles but not sure where, maybe in Kolo's spot as he needs to work on covering the ground better which is something Ruggles does well.

Hopefully they get a better turnout to this game, if Eagles defeat GWS its 1 V 2 next Friday night. We would hope to get 30k+

No VFL game this week so that could impact who could come in. With the afl team having the bye after this game I don't think Cockatoo will play. I'd be happy to see Ruggles come in but Bews needs to stay to play on Betts.

I hope Lonergan stays out of the side until/if he forces his way back in. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him back this week.

Cunico was ok and it's good to see some players get games to build depth and the future. Lang was good and we have lost a lot of similar players so he needs to keep performing

Bews on Betts - I hope we see that. Jed did a great job on Robbie Gray. He should recover from a corkie.

I'd drop Kolo for Domsy. Kolo played well last year so I think he's much better than he's showing us currently. He has time.

Cockatoo would be handy but not sure who to drop for him if avail. Cunico maybe, just because of the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Thursday night was partly to blame for lower crowd

No doubt about it, stupid scheduling for us to be honest, just open a new stand and increase the capacity to 35,000 and then get a game on a Thursday night against an interstate side and get 24,000, yep thanks for screwing us of the extra revenue we should have got from another 10,000 people.

Feel pretty pleased to be playing this at home and getting an extra day. Won't be easy but expecting to win. Only changes for injuries.

Those Kolo mistakes in the first quarter were bad, but the calls to sub him straight out for Lonergan are extreme. Last night he was part of a defence that conceded our 3rd lowest score for the year playing against the competition's 4th highest scorers. We need to back him in with a good run of games and increased responsibility.

Scott has made it pretty clear that Bews' injury is nowhere near serious enough to keep him out of the side. I'll take his word for it.

In: Lonergan
Out: Parsons

Not like for like, but I think that we can cover Parsons. Our defence will have its hands full, which is why I feel Domsy is a must.

Those Kolo mistakes in the first quarter were bad, but the calls to sub him straight out for Lonergan are extreme. Last night he was part of a defence that conceded our 3rd lowest score for the year playing against the competition's 4th highest scorers. We need to back him in with a good run of games and increased responsibility.

Lowest number of I50s against for the year suggests it wasn't so much the backline group but the work being done up the ground that is attributable to the low score against.

Lowest number of I50s against for the year suggests it wasn't so much the backline group but the work being done up the ground that is attributable to the low score against.
While that's part of it, defenders don't always play purely in D50 (nor do mids and forwards play exclusively up the ground). The game has evolved far beyond those days, and it's primitive to think otherwise. Henderson, Tuohy, Bews, Stewart, Mackie, Kolodjashnij (after Q1) put in solid defensive performances both in the backline and further up. Agree that the team effort would have made their respective jobs considerably easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back