Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff is approaching Geelong and will hit hard.

That's been said for ten years Plus.. But here we are.. still.
I think we've done well with our young recruits coming through probably a little hit and miss with the top ups through will be interesting with Cameron next season and what he can produce with us. He is a little lazy in my eyes but a change of scenery could be what he needs.

Today Richmond are just a better team no other team would have defeated them imo!

When you go from having two outstanding captains that win 3 flags over five seasons in Harley and Ling that never duck, never complain never make excuses, never expect favouritism, just play hard, intelligent, winning football.. what changed after 2011?? You give the captaincy to the 'bravest' sook in the league. Being a spolt baby only gets you so far. Give the captaincy to a warrior that doesn't tolerate that sort of behaviour let alone model it and Geelong probably have 5 flags in the last ten years. One thing about mercenaries, they generally don't bring an ability to shift the culture.
Hawthorn would not have won three in a row without Hodge as skipper, Brisbane three in a row with Boys and Richmond 3 in 4 with Cotch. Suckholes may have more free kicks than any player in history, but they don't captain flags.

They didn’t seem exhausted. More like shaky and indecisive after HT when Richmond threatened. That first 10 minutes was the key in the 3rd,

Well, in the first half we not only matched them for pressure and intensity but out did them.
In the third, there wasn't even a sign of it. Make of that what you will.

Everyone will view things differently but I feel like our dramatic drop off in the Second half was telling of a team that gave it there all in the first and then got overran, many are suggesting that the ground drying out was the reason, I am not so sure.

3x Leon Davis medalist (GOAT) Rohan is in the side.

well tonight seemed like more of the same problem of dangerfield being played in the wrong part of the ground for too long.
that in itself points to other problems in the forward line. maybe that will be rectified a bit with cameron getting on board. gryan has done well so far in his career but can't kick the goals they need from dalhaus and rohan, among others.
they did well to hang on to guthrie while he was on the outer and he's starting to repay the faith a bit.

i'd still expect them to be in the top 8 next season. they remind me a bit of north from a few years ago, who were up and about for a few seasons while their list got a bit long in the tooth, though we're seeing more of the geelong kids come through so they're a bit more of a known. but the ace in their hand is still stephen wells.

Well, in the first half we not only matched them for pressure and intensity but out did them.
In the third, there wasn't even a sign of it. Make of that what you will.

Everyone will view things differently but I feel like our dramatic drop off in the Second half was telling of a team that gave it there all in the first and then got overran, many are suggesting that the ground drying out was the reason, I am not so sure.
Shorter quarters this year and not the most taxing 2nd and 3rd week of finals for the Cats. I don't think you ran out of steam physically. Tigers were a man down too.

I think the issue was not taking full advantage of your period of dominance in the first half and not having the players to really withstand Richmond's period of dominance.

The Tigers made a few changes - Balta rucking to give Nank (who dominated) a proper rest, Dusty forward, backline trusted their set ups with Vlastuin - then stepped on the gas and they can just do more damage than the Cats can (or at least did).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond and Port were probably the best 2 teams, just a quirk of the finals draw. Brisbane a year or so away, Geelong a few years too long in the tooth in some areas.

No team is ever perfect but the Cats did very well getting as far as they did with some decent holes:

1. No second key forward - obviously that's about to change
2. No half back flankers - 7 lock down or intercept defenders just makes it hard to get the counter attack that Richmond can. The Cats best half back flanker ran in the sprint.
3. Jake Kolo as the best Dusty match up
4. No super dangerous small. The Miers, Ablett, Dahlhaus trio could be upgraded, small as well as tall could ease the burden on Danger as a forward.

When you go from having two outstanding captains that win 3 flags over five seasons in Harley and Ling that never duck, never complain never make excuses, never expect favouritism, just play hard, intelligent, winning football.. what changed after 2011?? You give the captaincy to the 'bravest' sook in the league. Being a spolt baby only gets you so far. Give the captaincy to a warrior that doesn't tolerate that sort of behaviour let alone model it and Geelong probably have 5 flags in the last ten years. One thing about mercenaries, they generally don't bring an ability to shift the culture.
Hawthorn would not have won three in a row without Hodge as skipper, Brisbane three in a row with Boys and Richmond 3 in 4 with Cotch. Suckholes may have more free kicks than any player in history, but they don't captain flags.

lol, Geelong just had better sides 07-11.

yawnnn.... mate find some new material!

Great post.
See his last quarter highlights - he spent the term looking at the umpire like a needy puppy just hoping for some attention.

Great post.
See his last quarter highlights - he spent the whole term looking at the umpire like a needy puppy just hoping for some attention.

It's a s**t post! Selwood isn't the reason we lost!

It's just another Hawthorn supporter having a sook!

Shorter quarters this year and not the most taxing 2nd and 3rd week of finals for the Cats. I don't think you ran out of steam physically. Tigers were a man down too.

I think the issue was not taking full advantage of your period of dominance in the first half and not having the players to really withstand Richmond's period of dominance.

The Tigers made a few changes - Balta rucking to give Nank (who dominated) a proper rest, Dusty forward, backline trusted their set ups with Vlastuin - then stepped on the gas and they can just do more damage than the Cats can (or at least did).

I thought Nank killed Stanley in the ruck tonight.

I don't think we could have held on even if we were a further 3 goals in front heading into the third. We were dominated after the half and the pressure (that we couldn't meet) caused all kinds of fumbles and mistakes that weren't seen in the first.

Parfit, Stanley(in ruck), Blitz, Ablett(injured), Rohan, O'Connor, Simpson all had very poor games.

Quite a few so/so players too, can't expect to win with so many not pulling their weight when things got tough.

Last edited:
It's a sh*t post Selwood isn't the reason we lost!

It's just another Hawthorn sook!

Even Hawthorn sooks are right some of the time. Selwood is never going to be a premiership captain and no one outside of Geelong would ever think he deserves to be.

Having driven Melbourne to Geelong more times than I can count, and Brisbane to GC about half a dozen times, I can confirm that Geelong to Melbourne takes a hell of a lot longer in normal traffic.

GC can take 2hrs on the way back to Brisbane in bad traffic.

Even Hawthorn sooks are right some of the time. Selwood is never going to be a premiership captain and no one outside of Geelong would ever think he deserves to be.

Well he is already a three time premiership player and that's good enough for me and a lot of Geelong fans!
and.. I couldn't give rats toss bag what anyone outside Geelong think!

Last edited:
It's a sh*t post! Selwood isn't the reason we lost!

It's just another Hawthorn supporter having a sook!
Don't get me wrong, Selwood is certainly not the reason you lost. He tried tonight and as a player had little influence, it happens to even the best. What I'm saying is things happen in a game , free kicks get played for, injuries happen to players etc. How a team responds to those 'bumps in the road' are the difference to winning GFs and losing them. You can look to address your ability to deal with bumps in the road or you can stay on the ideology of making the road the smoothest possible. Good luck with Cameron and your smooth roads in 2021. I hope you get the result you are seeking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back