Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t even bother mentioning the multiple (3? 4??) pre-season Grand Finals Geelong lost in my time supporting them before the breakthroughs, but they definitely added to my misery back in the day …
Iirc they won that first pre-season cup on my birthday. Was pretty chuffed with that at the time.

The 2006 NAB Cup was held across Australia between 24 February and 18 March. The NAB Cup was won by Geelong who defeated Adelaide by 8 points in the Grand Final of the knock-out pre-season competition. :thumbsupv1:

* me that was a good day. Being there, it was basically party mode from quarter time onwards.

2023 turned a bit s**t but seeing this thread get bumped makes up for it. I think a good full preseason is just what the club needs for another tilt next year. Actually not too devastated about watching the finals as a neutral for once, it's an unusual feeling and bonus - I don't have to sit in the ticketek queue

Oh and a fellow cats supporter spilt beer all down my back when he jumped up celebrating a goal and I didn't even care because we were winning!

Last edited:
Iirc they won that first pre-season cup on my birthday. Was pretty chuffed with that at the time.

The 2006 NAB Cup was held across Australia between 24 February and 18 March. The NAB Cup was won by Geelong who defeated Adelaide by 8 points in the Grand Final of the knock-out pre-season competition. :thumbsupv1:

Yeah that was a breakthrough in my eyes for sure.

Yep and our last few weeks of having that shiny cup icon <<<<
Till the end if 2024…

Hey.. I can dream

Go Catters

Ps- welcome back Shell

Can’t believe it’s closing in on 12 months already since this magical day.

Being in the city of Geelong when we won was amazing, whole place was just buzzing all night, everyone coming together celebrating an unforgettable premiership win!!

Can’t believe it’s closing in on 12 months already since this magical day.

Being in the city of Geelong when we won was amazing, whole place was just buzzing all night, everyone coming together celebrating an unforgettable premiership win!!
Kick to kick in the middle of Moorabool Street (with mates and random fellow Geelong fans) is up there as one of the highlights, the city was going absolutely crazy :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he didn’t stick around for the after parties last year ?
I'd say he was trying to find something negative to post but came up short.

Absolutely it was!

Funny; perhaps some clubs laughed at Geelong for celebrating a pre-season or ''night'' Premiership at the time - but after 4 Day and 4 Night Grand Final losses since 1988, the 2006 pre-season win against Adelaide was both a relief and a beacon.

Incidentally both Hawthorn and Essendon won 4 pre-season flags apiece in that period, reflecting their respective successes during those years.

Two years prior to Geelong's mini-breakthrough in 2004, Grant Thomas and Lenny Hayes held that pre-season premiership cup aloft without a hint of joy - they had bigger fish to fry, was their argument:

2_3081388.jpg

... and they still haven't had that cathartic release.

A pre-season cup isn't the Real Thing, but after decades of near-misses (or decades of failure in St Kildas case) you take those small victories and signs and hopefully build on them.

Hope the Saints go well in the Finals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back