Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's what you get with a popular vote.
And like most of these "popular vote" things, a lot of convenient manipulation going on by media running them. Hawks v Geelong 08 GF just so happened to be 3rd - smack bang in the sweet spot for afternoon viewing.
I shouldn't bitch and moan too much about it. I watched fair bit of the 50/50 games over Easter and bloody enjoyed it. Just bit of a letdown top 2 games I reckon. Good games - yes. Top 2 - nope.

And like most of these "popular vote" things, a lot of convenient manipulation going on by media running them. Hawks v Geelong 08 GF just so happened to be 3rd - smack bang in the sweet spot for afternoon viewing.
I shouldn't bitch and moan too much about it. I watched fair bit of the 50/50 games over Easter and bloody enjoyed it. Just bit of a letdown top 2 games I reckon. Good games - yes. Top 2 - nope.
I don’t really GAF what games they had in the top whatever of all time. All I care about is that the HFC ended up with most of the silverware when it was all said and done. Really it’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Every man and his dog spends at least five years saying footy today is not as good as it was a couple of decades ago. Hundreds of column inches filled ad nauseam how rules need radical changes to get back to the 'great' 80s, 90s etc

Neck minute: two of the top 3 games ever came in 2017 and 2018

I was wondering why more in depth discussion on the idea of playing AFL in clusters like the NRL is planning

Then it became apparent, 16 teams works quite well in that configuration (5 rotations of 3 games each). 18 not so much

Every man and his dog spends at least five years saying footy today is not as good as it was a couple of decades ago. Hundreds of column inches filled ad nauseam how rules need radical changes to get back to the 'great' 80s, 90s etc

Neck minute: two of the top 3 games ever came in 2017 and 2018
Don't want to be a spelling Nazi but it is Nek minute.

People have short memories.

Always overrate the current players/footy and underrate past players/footy.
And sometimes you remember things being better than they actually were.

Ever re-watched an old movie you remember to be pretty good only to realise it's actually a piece of s**t? Same thing can happen with footy players.

Not referring to the 89 GF here, that game still holds up as a classic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever re-watched an old movie you remember to be pretty good only to realise it's actually a piece of s**t? Same thing can happen with footy players.

Remember the stuff surrounding jaws the movie? a few years ago my teenage kids said "why are they going nuts over a rubber fish?

Happens, but less of an issue.

I mean, having the 2016 Prelim in a top 2 of greatest ever games......c'mon.

It happens more with players. Always saying how great the current crop are, and discounting those in 90s, 80s, 70s, etc.

Happens, but less of an issue.

I mean, having the 2016 Prelim in a top 2 of greatest ever games......c'mon.

It happens more with players. Always saying how great the current crop are, and discounting those in 90s, 80s, 70s, etc.
Objectively the 2013 Hawthorn vs Geelong PF was better in every way. The historical context of the Kennett Curse. The quality of the players in the game - skills and hardness. The atmosphere - so loud that the sirens couldn't even be heard. The entire build up was Grand Final like. And it all ended with an against all odds final quarter fight back climax that couldn't have been scripted better.

Are we really complaining about someone's opinion in a subjective category?

There are no right or wrong answers to what some of you are having a whinge over.

Some of you need to go have a milkshake.
Haven't you just complained about an opinion in a subjective category??

Remember the stuff surrounding jaws the movie? a few years ago my teenage kids said "why are they going nuts over a rubber fish?
The one I had in mind was Mortal Kombat, remember it being a pretty kick ass movie then watched it again a few years ago and was like "Oh boy, this is bad, really bad!".

Saw a list of a few of the experts best games ever .....Brad Johnson couldn't even squeeze the 89 GF in his top 5 ......
What would Brad Johnson know about Grand Finals?

Are we really complaining about someone's opinion in a subjective category?

There are no right or wrong answers to what some of you are having a whinge over.

Some of you need to go have a milkshake.
Reads to me as a discussion on the results of a poll about footy. Sort of the whole point of these forums.

I used to think van damme movies were awesome but now, I can’t even spend 3 seconds looking at the movie cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back