Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think van damme movies were awesome but now, I can’t even spend 3 seconds looking at the movie cover!
I watched Universal Solider and Blood Sport recently and I remember thinking how awesome these movies were back in the day. Needless to say after watching them again the acting level was about as good as Kane Cornes journalistic skills 😂

Last edited:

People have short memories.

Always overrate the current players/footy and underrate past players/footy.
Just replied here because it was as good a place as any of the next couple of post.

On the subject of footy being better way back when, I kind of break it down to three different styles. Today's contested, congested and over coached style. The traditional positional mark it, kick it and go again style that prevailed for one hundred years. The style that only ever popped its head up from time to time when a squad of players combined that were a class above and the coaches of said team would roll the dice and just let them do their thing, it didn't have a time, the teams had their time.
Watching replays on Fox two weeks ago I happened to catch the last half of a non Hawks game that have me a wow moment. It was a semi final from memory between Adelaide and Brisbane at the Gabba and wow, watching class players being able to perform what they could to the best of their ability without being congested to death was a thing of beauty.
What stood out were kicking on the run with both feet, instinctive handballs that put guys into space, tall forwards being able to run into space on a lead or jump at a pack for a contested mark. It might sound uncontested it wasn't it was just freedom to play to the team strengths.
Not harping on which time was best but I do know what style I like to watch, the style that allows the ball to move with a bit of freedom.

Still looking for a replay of above mentioned game online to no avail to share with footballing son that has never really known footy played in this way. 2003 final bris vs adel.

I watched Universal Solider and Blood Sport recently and I remember thinking how awesome these movies were back in the day. Needless to say after watching them again the acting level was about as good as Kane Cornes journalistic skills 😂
They're still both great movies, but the acting level was never the appeal of them!

Saw the end of Kickboxer recently, wasn't crash hot. Bloodsport still holds up well though.

Hard Target was a good one too.

The one I had in mind was Mortal Kombat, remember it being a pretty kick ass movie then watched it again a few years ago and was like "Oh boy, this is bad, really bad!".

My kids looked at me with disbelief when I told them how scary the exorcist was and I look back at Alfred Hitchcock’s the Birds and how scared I was whenever I saw birds sitting on powerlines and laugh at how bad it now looks

Just replied here because it was as good a place as any of the next couple of post.

On the subject of footy being better way back when, I kind of break it down to three different styles. Today's contested, congested and over coached style. The traditional positional mark it, kick it and go again style that prevailed for one hundred years. The style that only ever popped its head up from time to time when a squad of players combined that were a class above and the coaches of said team would roll the dice and just let them do their thing, it didn't have a time, the teams had their time.
Watching replays on Fox two weeks ago I happened to catch the last half of a non Hawks game that have me a wow moment. It was a semi final from memory between Adelaide and Brisbane at the Gabba and wow, watching class players being able to perform what they could to the best of their ability without being congested to death was a thing of beauty.
What stood out were kicking on the run with both feet, instinctive handballs that put guys into space, tall forwards being able to run into space on a lead or jump at a pack for a contested mark. It might sound uncontested it wasn't it was just freedom to play to the team strengths.
Not harping on which time was best but I do know what style I like to watch, the style that allows the ball to move with a bit of freedom.

Still looking for a replay of above mentioned game online to no avail to share with footballing son that has never really known footy played in this way. 2003 final bris vs adel.

I used to work with a diehard Tigers supporter. Other than that character flaw, he was a rippingly good bloke. Back in either 1999 or 2000 there was a Brisbane vs Richmond game and from memory the score at quarter time was something like 8 goals straight to 7 goals straight. We chatted about it the following Monday and said if there was ever a quarter of footy you'd use to sell the game overseas, it would be the first quarter of that game. As a neutral, it was an excellent game of footy.

P

ETA: Found it, Round 12, 2000:

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2000.html#12

It seems my memory deceives me; quarter time score was 8 straight to 5.1. If anyone's after a decent quarter of footy to watch in iso, it's pretty good.

My kids looked at me with disbelief when I told them how scary the exorcist was and I look back at Alfred Hitchcock’s the Birds and how scared I was whenever I saw birds sitting on powerlines and laugh at how bad it now looks
I could never get past the scene where the guy gets out of his car at a gas station ankle deep in petrol, and casually lights a cigar and blows up

I used to work with a diehard Tigers supporter. Other than that character flaw, he was a rippingly good bloke. Back in either 1999 or 2000 there was a Brisbane vs Richmond game and from memory the score at quarter time was something like 8 goals straight to 7 goals straight. We chatted about it the following Monday and said if there was ever a quarter of footy you'd use to sell the game overseas, it would be the first quarter of that game. As a neutral, it was an excellent game of footy.

P

ETA: Found it, Round 12, 2000:

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2000.html#12

It seems my memory deceives me; quarter time score was 8 straight to 5.1. If anyone's after a decent quarter of footy to watch in iso, it's pretty good.
I swear by the fact that the 2007 game between Hawthorn & Collingwood at Docklands was one of the most exciting games of football you could see. End to end play, continual running, action all over the place. Two young teams taking the game on. Something to show people who don't know the game at all & want an example.

I swear by the fact that the 2007 game between Hawthorn & Collingwood at Docklands was one of the most exciting games of football you could see. End to end play, continual running, action all over the place. Two young teams taking the game on. Something to show people who don't know the game at all & want an example.

Thanks for the pointer moginie . Found it here:

Some fun iso viewing this evening. Cheers for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it's a beauty. You can clearly see the style of football we want to play and the direction we are heading.

The postscript to that game is that we went to Adelaide off a six day break and in wet, windy conditions got absolutely carted. Given the furious intensity of the Collingwood game you understand how much it took out of the team.

Last edited:
Nah, that was the 2011 prelim. The above game was 2007. We lost the semi final to North by 30 odd that year, after the Buddy/Adelaide goal.
You misunderstand me.

Collingwood were unlucky to lose the 2007 prelim. It was by 5 points, I think.

You misunderstand me.

Collingwood were unlucky to lose the 2007 prelim. It was by 5 points, I think.
Yeah I was at that game with some Pies supporters and Gee did the Cats fans act like they'd just won by 100 plus when the siren went

Cats in that game and the following year were very close to not making the GF either year.

We had some close calls as well, prelims are hard to win, but when you've got stuff like in 2008 when Max Rooke crashes front on into a bloke in a marking contest without even looking at the ball and doesn't get a free paid against him which would have resulted in a shot on goal, well that Cats team sure got some #freekicks

am I doing it right? I forget

I went to that game. Over 50,000 on a Sunday twilight 5.10pm start. Although I’m not a fan of twilight games, this was the best one I’ve ever seen live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back