Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy Franklin had knee surgery and will be out for 10 weeks
How 'bout that 10 year deal Swans? Bondi Billionaires gonna deliver you guys a Premiership windfall hey? :drunk:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving franchise. I'll always laugh that he moved to Sydney "to win Premierships" and won exactly as many as he deserved.

How 'bout that 10 year deal Swans? Bondi Billionaires gonna deliver you guys a Premiership windfall hey? :drunk:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving franchise. I'll always laugh that he moved to Sydney "to win Premierships" and won exactly as many as he deserved.
I'd be very nervous if I were a Swans supporter, may bit get a lot out of him for their money here on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd be very nervous if I were a Swans supporter, may bit get a lot out of him for their money here on.

He'll be 33 in a few weeks. Definitely would be concerning for him to go into the season off almost no pre-season. It would take some real strength from the Swans to resist the urge to rush him back in. Particularly if they fail to get off to a decent start.

I'm quite happy to see them and Buddy not win another flag while he's there, but I don't like the idea of missing out on seeing a player like Buddy play the game the way he does or even reaching 1000 goals.

Where have I 'constantly' done either?

I think some of this falls in to the 'I only watch the Hawks, footy itself is dead to me, it's all corrupt from the top and everyone's out to get us' yada yada.
Probably a fair few completely uninterested in other teams and how the game gets played when the HFC aren't involved, so perspective on anything non Hawthorn is anathema.

Me, I love the game - and the Hawks the most. But I watch other games, enjoy good play, enjoy rooting against my nemesis teams, enjoy watching them play well - believe they're going to win - then fall over at the end. Absolute smirkfest.
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate players from other teams.

If you don't support the way others do you'll hear diatribes and vindictive and questioning of allegiance.
Lame.

Some posters critiqued Stratton's season, but were told to think critically because he did place 10th in our BnF. The club knows better than the average punter after all, so he must have done something right.

Now some of the posters who told others off for critiquing Stratton's season have said worse things (rubbish, crab, etc.) about an opposition player who came 6th in his team's BnF. This was for a team that finished higher than us mind you. Say what you want about their list, and use all the apologetics you can to justify his placing (as others are trying to do), but the fact remains that they finished higher than us, made finals, and beat us whilst achieving that. They were the better team in 2019.

Do you think that their club may be better placed to judge their players and their ability? Like ours is? And should that be taken into consideration when we, the average BigFooty poster, judges these players? Or do clubs' opinions only count when it's our club and players, and not the ones we don't like?

I'd also hazard a guess that the posters who criticised Stratton would have watched many more of our games compared to the amount of Essendon games the posters who are criticizing McGrath watched.

If you cannot see the obvious link between these things then it has absolutely nothing to do with any inadequacy of mine.

FWIW I don't particularly care about who posters want to rubbish on here, but I do care about the hypocrisy on display and I'm making a point of highlighting it.

* finished above us on the ladder and therefore they are better than us? Is that correct ? No room to consideration of the fixture? No room to consider their percentage? No room to consider who else they did or did not beat. I think you need some critical thinking. * played GWS, Roos, Pies, Syds and Freo twice. Two of those teams played finals. We played GWS, Roos, Lions, Cats and Eagles four of those teams played finals. Over simplification does not reinforce your agument. Yes they did beat us, can't deny that, but by that measure we were better than Eagles, Pies, Cats, GWS and I don't believe all that to be true, nore does ladder positions. Having dispelled the basis for your claim that * are better than us, once again I shall try to explain the subtlety of the two positions.

Absolutely * are best placed to grade their players against each other, no one critising the Crab, disputes that he is their sixth best player, no one probably cares tbh. Similarly the HFC coaching panel are best placed to grade their players against each other. The original argument is that the PCM positions should be accepted because we are not privy to what Stratton was asked to do, so can't assess if he did as he was asked, simple. Just to rehash why some objected, there were several who said Stratton was s**t and Frawley had a better year, no one said IMO, they were definitive.

Finally the assessment of each list is completely independant, the B&F at one club could be the 22nd best at another club, so I don't see how our critisim of the Crab and his B&F placement are a contradiction. No one said he was the * worst player, so they were not wrong.

He'll be 33 in a few weeks. Definitely would be concerning for him to go into the season off almost no pre-season. It would take some real strength from the Swans to resist the urge to rush him back in. Particularly if they fail to get off to a decent start.

I'm quite happy to see them and Buddy not win another flag while he's there, but I don't like the idea of missing out on seeing a player like Buddy play the game the way he does or even reaching 1000 goals.
Agree with your first paragraph but disagree with the second. I believe Sydney's due to pay him $1.3m this season so the joke's squarely on them.

Buddy's a greedy mercenary who prioritized money over loyalty and is copping what he deserves. Sure I dislike seeing classy players injured, but already considered him lost to the game in the only state that matters when he turned his back on Australia's Greatest Sporting Club to whore himself out to a nothing franchise that exists to promote the AFL Commission's NSW agenda. The less he achieves at the $wines the better as his accomplishments for the AFL Lovechild rob attention from his years at Hawthorn when he was a superior player.

I'm completely content that he's never slotted another ton, won another flag, or kicked a better goal than the one on Hooker from the boundary after defecting, and if he fails to reach 1000 goals so much the better because the fewer he kicks for the AFL's NSW Marketing Branch the better. We owe him absolutely nothing and anyone who thinks we do must be forgetting the generous $1m a year contract Hawthorn put in front of him after he'd stabbed us in the back by voluntarily approaching an arch-rival mere weeks after we lost a GF to them. Lance Franklin's a piece of s**t, just ask all the kids who bought Buddy Balls or 23 guernseys in his final year at Hawthorn when he repeatedly denied he'd consider leaving and publicly made a big deal of wanting to be a "one club player".

Agree with your first paragraph but disagree with the second. I believe Sydney's due to pay him $1.3m this season so the joke's squarely on them.

Buddy's a greedy mercenary who prioritized money over loyalty and is copping what he deserves. Sure I dislike seeing classy players injured, but already considered him lost to the game in the only state that matters when he turned his back on Australia's Greatest Sporting Club to whore himself out to a nothing franchise that exists to promote the AFL Commission's NSW agenda. The less he achieves at the $wines the better as his accomplishments for the AFL Lovechild rob attention from his years at Hawthorn when he was a superior player.

I'm completely content that he's never slotted another ton, won another flag, or kicked a better goal than the one on Hooker from the boundary after defecting, and if he fails to reach 1000 goals so much the better because the fewer he kicks for the AFL's NSW Marketing Branch the better. We owe him absolutely nothing and anyone who thinks we do must be forgetting the generous $1m a year contract Hawthorn put in front of him after he'd stabbed us in the back by voluntarily approaching an arch-rival mere weeks after we lost a GF to them. Lance Franklin's a piece of s**t, just ask all the kids who bought Buddy Balls or 23 guernseys in his final year at Hawthorn when he repeatedly denied he'd consider leaving and publicly made a big deal of wanting to be a "one club player".
Didn't he muck up the sentence & declare that he wanted to be a "one man team"?!?!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

* finished above us on the ladder and therefore they are better than us? Is that correct ? No room to consideration of the fixture? No room to consider their percentage? No room to consider who else they did or did not beat. I think you need some critical thinking. * played GWS, Roos, Pies, Syds and Freo twice. Two of those teams played finals. We played GWS, Roos, Lions, Cats and Eagles four of those teams played finals. Over simplification does not reinforce your agument. Yes they did beat us, can't deny that, but by that measure we were better than Eagles, Pies, Cats, GWS and I don't believe all that to be true, nore does ladder positions. Having dispelled the basis for your claim that * are better than us, once again I shall try to explain the subtlety of the two positions.

Absolutely * are best placed to grade their players against each other, no one critising the Crab, disputes that he is their sixth best player, no one probably cares tbh. Similarly the HFC coaching panel are best placed to grade their players against each other. The original argument is that the PCM positions should be accepted because we are not privy to what Stratton was asked to do, so can't assess if he did as he was asked, simple. Just to rehash why some objected, there were several who said Stratton was s**t and Frawley had a better year, no one said IMO, they were definitive.

Finally the assessment of each list is completely independant, the B&F at one club could be the 22nd best at another club, so I don't see how our critisim of the Crab and his B&F placement are a contradiction. No one said he was the * worst player, so they were not wrong.
Just put the two Bombers supporter trolls on ignore. Life is so much easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it. He was mesmerized by Jacinta and the $10m.

Once he made up his mind, he never wavered. He helped them structure a deal we couldn't match. Don't ever forget that.

Last edited:

Well said. I can't remember a player leaving us voluntarily and becoming a premiership player elsewhere which is the way it should be. Maybe only Peter Welsh
and there may more but hope not.

Well said. I can't remember a player leaving us voluntarily and becoming a premiership player elsewhere which is the way it should be. Maybe only Peter Welsh
josh kennedy springs to mind

Gary Able..... oh nevermind, carry on. :smirk:

More recently I was glad Suckling was overlooked for the 2016 GF. Almost unheard of for players to be carried to a flag at two clubs like Cam Mooney was.

Nah. I remember their fans all harping on about how the cap will be bigger in 2020 vs 2014 so his $1.2M won’t hurt much.

kind of like banking on your future pay rise to justify buying the Porsche now. It’s a depreciating “asset”

Nailed it. He was mesmerized by Jacinta at the $10m.

Once he made up his mind, he never wavered. He helped them structure a deal we couldn't match. Don't ever forget that.
She's not even all that really, just an attention seeking sydneysider with zero personality but each to their own. I can guarantee you deep down he would have a slight feeling of regret at not being a part of history with his close mates at Hawthorn aka Roughie, Lewis etc whether others deny or not. Even Jesinta can't compare to that as much she would try and rubbish it (and believe me she tries to forget he was even a Hawthorn player).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back