No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 2005/2006 draft haul was meant to set us up forever.

As someone who was interstate at the time so not as engulfed in trade talk in the early 2000s - what on earth was the theory behind drafting KPFs in 2005 and 2006 when Rough and Franklin were on the list? I know both were still establishing themselves - but having four key forwards from the pointy end of the draft seems a bit much.

As someone who was interstate at the time so not as engulfed in trade talk in the early 2000s - what on earth was the theory behind drafting KPFs in 2005 and 2006 when Rough and Franklin were on the list? I know both were still establishing themselves - but having four key forwards from the pointy end of the draft seems a bit much.
The thought was Rough would be a key defender and Franklin a roaming half forward.
Dowler full forward and Thorp CHF.

It wasn't until 2007 that Rough and Franklin settled into key forward roles.
Even then we wanted to play 4 talls forward = Buddy's Box.

Nah, it’s just good list management.

And the 5 stars theory doesn’t apply to the 2016 Bulldogs or 2017 Tigers.
Bulldogs had 5 stars, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith, and Scott Jeffery.

Does anyone know what was said in the Justin Reeves & Greg Swann blow up on the weekend.

It was loud and public and people say it was one of the best screaming matches in public.
Pretty sure I can guess. A lot of parties not happy with how we went about the review.

Paddy Ryder was Pick 6 after we took Beau Dowler at 5

Even Higgins or Jones would have been better pickups. Would have been interesting seeing what would have transpired had we picked up Pendles and Higgins/Jones in 2005 and Selwood in 2006.

Yep right now we have 1 star in Sicily. So hopefully in the next few years we can find our other 4 somehow.

One is already almost there, and he's about to begin his third season next year.

Another future chance is yet to sign on a new contract, but if he does and gets some continuity he's a red hot chance to be anything.

I wouldn't count out 2 of the rookies from 2022 either.

We have a couple of rebounding defenders who are also a red hot chance at developing into bonafide stars.

Plus another high draft pick this year.

remember hearing Derm saying Ryder and Franklin wouldn't get on so not sure if they had beef in their junior footy

I always thought that talk was odd, given so many guys play footy together while not necessarily being best friends. It wasn't just Derm saying it from memory - and on the subject, did he get along with teammates at all times - Dunstall comes to mind?

Even Higgins or Jones would have been better pickups. Would have been interesting seeing what would have transpired had we picked up Pendles and Higgins/Jones in 2005 and Selwood in 2006.
no Cyril in 2007 and a GWS type salary cap blow up resulting in no 3 peat as we wouldn't have had the space to recruit Silk and so on and so on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought that talk was odd, given so many guys play footy together while not necessarily being best friends. It wasn't just Derm saying it from memory - and on the subject, did he get along with teammates at all times - Dunstall comes to mind?
Derm and Dunstall love each other - it's all banter in the media

no Cyril in 2007 and a GWS type salary cap blow up resulting in no 3 peat as we wouldn't have had the space to recruit Silk and so on and so on

Oh absolutely - butterfly effect would be huge. Revisionist history is fun - but I would take Thorp and Dowler all over again if it meant 4 flags in 8 years.

Not sure where to post this now, but the Herald Sun claims to have Egan's report and has posted their first article with exerts.

It's going to be really tough watching all this unfold as a Hawks fan. I'm already hating interactions on the topic with mates that support other clubs.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this now, but the Herald Sun claims to have Egan's report and has posted their first article with exerts.

It's going to be really tough watching all this unfold as a Hawks fan. I'm already hating interactions on the topic with mates that support other clubs.

All I say is

“yer it’s terrible and I’m glad the club initiated the truth telling and now we have the opportunity to get it right going forward. Won’t be surprised if all clubs don’t end up going through the process”

Always find if you just acknowledge or own something that it takes the wind out of peoples sails

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back